Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

North/South Down Slopers

Rob Thomson

Oh dear.. Maybe you should just go use it flat field?

The Phoenix us quite good for that too.

Rob

Tilman Baumann

I met one guy at the north slope who was kind enough to maiden the plane for me and trim it out.

No wonder there was no crowd there, it was bitter cold. I flew until I lost feeling in my fingers. But it was not more than one hour or so.

The Phoenix 2000 flew well. I wil have to get used to the yaw stability of his plane. You really have to push it to make it turn. But with the right throw on the rudder that should be no problem.

My colleague who drove me there did not feel well enough to fly his plane. So he was freezing without the adrenalin support, which also cut our stay short.

But all in all, I'm very happy. The plane flies well. And I can finally retire my Bixler, I never liked how it flew anyway. It't too pitchy and tends to roll like crazy in cross winds.

The Pheonix was not without fail as well. I really need the flaps. The landing speeds are just too high. I don't have the precision to bring a plane down exactly at those speeds.

See you guys again in warmer weather I suppose...

Rob Thomson

Lol... must have been freezing today!

Glad to hear you got it back in one piece too.

Now.. rudder.  

You really should need to use the rudder very little on the phoenix.  Everything can be done with Aileron & Elevator.  The rudder is best left just for helping in thermal turns.

Flaps..   Dont think your DX5/6 does crow?

For now you may want to consider spoilerons.   This is a simple raise the ailerons by say.. 20% for landing.  (you need an elevator mix with about 5% up elevator to keep you level)

Now.. who said the phoenix was fast?  It is slow as  :drool: .     Wait till you get into mouldies!

Glad you are giving the slope bashing more of a go...    it is highly addictive!

Rob

Tilman Baumann

Now.. rudder.  

You really should need to use the rudder very little on the phoenix.  Everything can be done with Aileron & Elevator.  The rudder is best left just for helping in thermal turns.

It helped to gently nudge it back into the wind when it got off-course.

But I was missing a way to turn tighter in messed up turns where I went in with too little speed.

That was quite nice with your Wildthing with the barndoor like fin hanging off at the end. The Phoenix I found does not turn back into the wind very strongly.

Of course stall turns are dumb and I should not bleed off so much speed in the first place.

Flaps..   Dont think your DX5/6 does crow?

Haha, no way! It's a totally lobotomized piece of junk. (Well, it can do Elevon mixing at least)

A Turnigy 9X is firmly budgeted in in next months big boys toys budget.

Then I take the RF module out of the Spektrum and do the DSM mod. And perhaps I take the gimbals as well.

For now you may want to consider spoilerons.   This is a simple raise the ailerons by say.. 20% for landing.  (you need an elevator mix with about 5% up elevator to keep you level)

I have got the flaps servos in now. As soon as I have the right radio I can mess around with that. In fact I can even use my houemates T9X because he is actually out of the country for a while. I'n sure he doesn't mind.

Can you point me to somewhere where I can read all this stuff up?

Camber, Reflex, Crow when do I need it and what is it worth. I would love to read more about that.

That could well be a book tip actually. I tend to learn well from books. And I have not got any good ones yet.

Now.. who said the phoenix was fast?  It is slow as  :drool: .     Wait till you get into mouldies!

Well, one needs to have aspirations. One day I will think the same I'm sure.

And you are right of course. The Phoenix is not really fast. Not in the air.

I dived it once and I thought I head it flutter. I was really impressed. But turns out that was just the covering film that had peeled off the leading endge. :D

The problem are landings. I just need a way to dump some energy.

After three failed approaches with still too much lift and coming in through turbulent air I lost my nerves and dove it down before it went off again.

It took it, but I don't want to land like that. :)

PS: Bixler is in the bin and I gave the wings to a friend.

Tilman Baumann

Convenient. Will see if I can reverse engineer that.

Last time I wanted to improve a open9x mix I ended up starting over from scratch.

Thanks for the offer, payday is soon and I have a open9x radio in the house to play with.

stewartg

Weather looks good for Firle beacon tomorrow anyone interested in meeting up?

Regards Stewart

Rob Thomson

I am already on the way down - meeting some other chaps at Bobeep if that is of interest?

stewartg

Yeah bopeep could be as good as Firle see you tomorrow will you have the tail less speedo?

Rob Thomson

Nice..  I should be there for 11ish.

I may have the Eedo with me.  Just need to do some quick repairs on it tonight!

Rob

Rob Thomson

Fixed and ready for action :-)

Rob Thomson

Had a superb day at Watership Down today.

Wonderful!

grj

All that foam wizzing around and not a single strike :unsure:. Great fun today Rob.

Jon_F

Had a superb day at Watership Down today.

Wonderful!

Which one were you Rob ?....sorry should have introduced myself. Yes an excellent afternoon and nice to fly without gloves for a change.

Jon

Rob Thomson

Blue full overall. Yellow glasses. And huge front side grin?

Was flying the Aldij and the wild thing. Also had the scale fox.

:-D

Jon_F

....and a SA 'twang' ?

Rob Thomson

That's the one :-)

Another safa (Byron) turned up later in the day too!

Tilman Baumann

All that foam wizzing around and not a single strike :unsure:. Great fun today Rob.

I scored one. :D

No harm done both stayed in the air.

• Like 1

grj

You dumped it so often, it was difficult to tell :P

I scored one. :D
No harm done both stayed in the air.

stewartg

Looks like a sunny north westerly today. Where's the best place within reach of London?

Watership down, Harting down?

Devils Dyke will be crawling with hang gliders.

Regards Stewart