Twisty wing build thread

Mr Ed

Well my Shrike stuff arrives any minute now. And adds to the half started Shredder, the 3/4 done Rotor and the new to me Shredder kit.

Any interest in TWF build logs from me?

It shall be be done then. I'll do the Shrike and new Shredder from scratch and do a catchup with Rotor and other Shredder.

The Shrike will have Ward Hagaman bling block, Obechi stained wings and carbon bagged toothpick high wind wings. The Rotor has a canopy brake and one of Rob's Spinner blocks. The original Shredder is stock apart from a canopy brake, and only tip dihedral instead of poly plus magnets for wing retention.

The latest Shredder will be a t-tail with a split rudder. I'll start with the wing tubes into the wing- Jay Decker style.

• Like 1

So here's what arrived Tuesday - a nice Shrike from Oran with normal and toothpick cores plus bling from Ward. And a big box with another Shredder kit. (Thanks Tom). So add the Rotor and the other Shredder on the bench and I'm going to have a busy build winter. (We won't mention the mini-Huma here as its not a twisty.)
I've ordered more carbon, Obechi and 1/32 ply plus 1/64th for the light Shredder. And a couple more litres of WEST plus some more assorted resin additives.

IMG_0004-10.jpg

Me too. Need to get boxes from under the bed and get planes on the rack.

Shrike first 'cos I'm in love with the teeny little thing. Then the Rotor, then the Shreddies and the Mini Huma ticking over in the background because that is a bit trickier.

And then with the mouldies I'll never need another plane again…

Oh Just remembered my BlingBlock from Winchdoc. Need to build an own design based around that…

Cutting the 8 panels for a shredder wing set is a bit tight with a 24x48 sheet of 1/64th ply. And at £53 each you don't want to Have to order any extras. Especially when you have two of the b*ggers to build.

Shredderwingpanels.jpg

After more template cutting I can get both sets of Shrike wings covered with the one sheet and the Rotor and Mini Huma are happy with their sheet of 1/32 ply.

Time grind some bling down to fit in the Shrike and trim the canopy. Pics soon.

Well laminate flooring it ain't, but i got a bit done before Xmas shopping intruded.

Canopy cut and sanded to fit and then the bling block sanded down so it fits perfickly. Not gooped in yet as want get the servos and linkages set up outside the plane. Also I want to see how low I can get the nose of the bling. I've measured it and I think that if I take out the front servo I'll be able to install and remove a 2000 AA pack. Should fly all day with just two HS225 in there.

IMG_0008-13.jpg

IMG_2-2.jpg

IMG_0007-11.jpg

Receiver will fit behind the wingrod.

IMG_0005-13.jpg

Hi John,

Any chance of a photo of the underneath of Ward's Bling thing ? Just curious what holds the servo pillars in place.or are they from solid ?

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect theres a bit of truth in that ...but having never had one before then I cant really answer .............but hopefully will be able to tell you soon enough

The only one I've flown was my Crobe2.

I really love the simplicity of the concept. Neither of the Shredders have bling. They are very old school.

I seem to less time flying and these seem a better idea than building a stock of lead sleds.