Southern Winter League Round 2

Ian F3F

Entry for round 2 at eastbourne is now open. I'll post more details about the meet point nearer the race

To enter please send your name, frequencies and insurance details to willowf3f(at)yahoo.co.uk

Ian

Sorry wont ba able to make this one,

Gotta take the Boys to the Football , unfortunately

Cos i hate Football ,

so will be doing Bwlch week later

Bob

Sorry wont ba able to make this one,

Gotta take the Boys to the Football , unfortunately

Cos i hate Football ,

so will be doing Bwlch week later

Bob

But only if its blowing 40 plus Bob .................... ;)

Well we managed to get a good comp in to day, 8 rounds on the West face of the Longman. With good wind and no real rain and some nice sun shine as well.

I would like to thank all the hard work every body put in to day, and it was hard work at times walking back up hill to land.Then to have me annoy you to go and buzz, but no one complained witch was good.

Results

1 Simon Thornton 6909.20

2 Martin Newnham 6875.48

3 Gary Harrison 6525.55

4 John Phillips 6408.78

5 Ian Mason 6050.07

6 Tony Livingston 5983.88

7 Graeme Mahoney 5763.49

8 John Fox 5648.44

9 Peter Burgess 5638.30

10 Gary Parker 5193.58

11 Jim Taylor 3955.07

12 Ray Wells 1808.96

A good win for Simon as Martin pushed him hard all day. Gary needs to sort his cutting as that cost him today, but then that would not be Gary. Thanks again to all and hope to see you all at the next round.

Full results will be on the ESSA web site soon.

JP

Thanks John for organising the day - and I'd agree it was quite hard work , my legs had seized up by the time I got home.

Only my third comp and suffered all day with 'Ballast Paranoia' and completely inconsistent flying. Still so much to work on ...but I guess that's the challenge.

Great to put some more faces to names.

....until the next time !

Jon

Glad it went well ,

Sorry i couldnt make this one, but i will make the January race .

Well Done Simon ,Martin and Gary

Bob

Thanks John and the rest of the ESSA crew for supplying a good slope, wind, weather and helpers. Apart from the final 5 seconds of the final round I had a relaxing and fun day. Was good to see some new faces, and everyone seemed to be having a good day.

Simon

Couldn't make it due to man flu,  glad you had a great day,   Simon: so what happended in the last 5 seconds of the final round then ?

Couldn't make it due to man flu,  glad you had a great day,   Simon: so what happended in the last 5 seconds of the final round then ?

You don't want to know. I think a cell went down in the Rx battery, as I had just turned finals, about 150' up, applied crow, and that was the last command that worked. Went down vertically, but with full crow out. Repairable, but nose is not too pretty, and one wing has some delamination. Joiner bust, which protected other stuff.

Simon

Thanks JP

Good days flying on the Longman, really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and good to meet more new faces on the slope.

Well done Simon on the win, I'm sure it must have been nice to get in the fresh air. Hope the needle isn't as bad as first looked and you can get to the bottom of the problem

Martin

Just sitting down after a really fun day's flying.  You have to question your sanity at 4:30 in the morning as you get out of a warm bed but for all the reasons of variable air that inland F3F gives you today's winter league made everything worth it.

Seeing how it should be done with martin and simon kept us all going with our own battles.

I'll post some postures of the day later  but thank you to john for running an excellent comp.  great to see guys from Whitesheet being tempted from their hill to take part in races on other hills.

Ian

You don't want to know. I think a cell went down in the Rx battery, as I had just turned finals, about 150' up, applied crow, and that was the last command that worked. Went down vertically, but with full crow out. Repairable, but nose is not too pretty, and one wing has some delamination. Joiner bust, which protected other stuff. Simon
Doing a charge/discharge cycle on my 1600mAh NiMh battery showed it had a capacity of just under 500mA. That is not quite enough for a days flying with fast and powerful modern servos, as I found to my cost today. Simon

Doing a charge/discharge cycle on my 1600mAh NiMh battery showed it had a capacity of just under 500mA. That is not quite enough for a days flying with fast and powerful modern servos, as I found to my cost today. Simon

A bit worrying, what is the history of the pack ?

2/3A I guess,

They do self discharge - which can lead to unbalanced packs and poor charging - I always felt that they had a useful life of around 12months-2years.

A bit worrying, what is the history of the pack ?
Only a few months old. I did have one case where I let them discharge lower than I would want, which may have caused the issue. Simon