Scotland's Slopers

Peter G

I spotted the north (or nnw) winds today and was in St Andrews anyway so I thought I would stop and try flying here.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=353546&Y=715690&A=Y&Z=115

It was really good. I just took the bluto but it would be fine to fly a mouldie there. Plenty of space to land fairly close to the edge without too much rotor. A very enjoyable half hour and a short walk back to East Sands swimming pool car park :)

Not alot of NW. And when it is we normally fly at west lomond but its a fair walk.

It wasn't too cold today in the sunshine. No snow here yet but some forecast tomorrow...

I spotted the north (or nnw) winds today and was in St Andrews anyway so I thought I would stop and try flying here.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=353546&Y=715690&A=Y&Z=115

It was really good. I just took the bluto but it would be fine to fly a mouldie there. Plenty of space to land fairly close to the edge without too much rotor. A very enjoyable half hour and a short walk back to East Sands swimming pool car park :)

Interesting. I have considered flying along those cliffs before but wondered if some irate golfers would complain about you distracting them ;)

Saturday looks wet but it is looking like it could be Kilspindie on Sunday if the rain stays away :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

The wind can't make up its mind what its doing up here just now and needs to sort itself out sharpish :huh: You need to go to differnet hills morning to afternoon.

Had to get out today but with v light NE winds 45 deg off at Pole Hill I didn't chuck the stinger. Had fun instead thermalling with an alula, its a great fun model for £60 odd quid and does great thermal turns on a sixpence. It signals good lift very clearly and drops like a stone in sink, fun.

Peter, you need to build that Blaster 3 :P

I have to agree with your comments about the Alula. Your old Longshot was still going well last Friday :)

Yes! Get yer Blaster built!

Mine's taken more hits than a blind cobbler's thumb but still does the biz in most conditions. I installed a ballast system comprising of an over-sized drinking straw (tube) and a shot-filled normal drinking straw which mean it'll fly in much rougher stuff.

• 1 month later...
George Young

The first F3F event of the summer league on Saturday. Hope the snow stays away. I had a practice flying in snow on Good Friday  ;)  At the moment Windmap says the wind direction could be variable :unsure:

The forecast doesnt look that promising AGAIN!!.....Really hope we can get a comp in, im missing my f3fers :drool: , been flying too many propellory things recently :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

The weather's delayed my slope debut of 2013 until today, SE wind forecast as 18mph with gusts, relentless gusts turned out to be around 30mph, horrible! Chucked an easyG out to test the lift and my rusty thumbs before I maidened my first scaley... Baudis Ventus V2.
Comically flexed the wings for a bit in the rough air which was no fun. Forget anything I've said about the St Cyrus rotor being not too bad! Ended with a very uncontrolled landing 100mtrs back from the lip but probably still in the eye of the rotor... Needless to say there was no danger of a Ventus maiden. St Cyrus 1: Confidence 0

image_zpsb63bd87c.jpg

Was out flying a B2 at St Cyrus last week, still bloody cold tho  . .
Very good getting the rusty thumbs moving again, some photo's from 2 years ago.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

Sun hat and Jacket . . . must be Scotland :-)

Now that's how I remembered st cy, perma sun/ perma smooth lift... I'll have to catch you up there sometime or the ADS slope days. Covered all bases there, a DLG with a moustache, a plank to a dark side D40 or something... Don't you believe the forecasts either??

Like the look of the B2 with a prop B)

Mike McCracken used to have a Baudis Ventus and it went well. Seem to remember him thinking it could do with bigger (non scale) ailerons but then he likes a very lively roll rate!

We were flying today in 50mph winds on East Lomond, it was great to have my F3F ships fully ballasted trying to work out which is quicker/better. I still don't know but it was good fun wringing them out.

:drool: Noisy and smelly! 

Yup and thats just the pilot :thumbsup:

Mike McCracken used to have a Baudis Ventus and it went well. Seem to remember him thinking it could do with bigger (non scale) ailerons but then he likes a very lively roll rate!

Yeah it was very scale, so the wing tips were very narrow, made it a bit easy to stall if you slowed it up too much, or didnt throw it hard enough when launching. Looked great in the sky though B)

Will need to orgase a trp up St Cyrus sometime looks a real nice place to fly

I'm a bit worried about the tip stall tbh but have heard that this Ventus is a ***** cat of a scalie, I'll not be trying to hover it in that's for sure. Yeah, post if you're ever planning heading up and I'll try and head along

• 2 years later...

Hello,

New to Scotland and more specific, Glasgow area.  I used to slope off Table Mountain in Cape Town, well the Hill to the west side of the City that is.  Would love to check in with the sloping scene around here and see what goes on.  Anyone regularly sloping near Glasgow?

Thanks

Sandy

• 1 year later...