EssexBOF

Al Wisher

EssexBOF

Sad to hear that an old BARCS member has now passed away namely Al Wisher. Flew actively in the 70-80s in the South, then moved up North so did not meet up so much then.

• Like 1

Austin

That is sad news to hear. RIP Al

pete beadle

Hi all

Yes, sad indeed

A good friend of mine built a "Blue Beast" this year to enter in ISA Nostalgia Day but has been flying it a lot as a sport model since, because Al's design is so good....

Pete

BARCS 1702

Les
Hi all Yes, sad indeed A good friend of mine built a "Blue Beast" this year to enter in ISA Nostalgia Day but has been flying it a lot as a sport model since, because Al's design is so good.... Pete BARCS 1702
Sorry to her of the death of your friend. He will be flying gliders with the angels.R.I.P

Shedofdread

Sorry to hear that. I remember flying against him in BARCS Open. RIP.

oipigface

I never met Al Wisher, but I remember my Blue Beast well. Wishing to plough my own furrow, I painted it pink, so it was always called the Pink Beast. It was a brilliant plane, which I flew for about three years in the late 80's (and won several club comps with). It came to an end in a killer thermal, which was a phenomenon I hadn't experienced before. Curiously enough, when I saw a photo of the naked Medicine Man that was posted on this forum a couple of weeks ago, my first thought was that it would be really good to build another Blue Beast, but I doubt if I ever will ... got a Needle 124 to get ready.

Great plane.

simon_t

RIP Al. You were an influential and at times controversial character in the bumper times of BARCS Open. The Blue Beast was an interesting, high performance plane, and I still remember the magazine with it on the cover, and the article inside. I must have read it quite a few times, and there was some pretty sage advice in there, which for me gave some significant insight into trimming and flying thermal models. Much later we did get to fly against each other, which of course was very interesting for me. Al, you will be missed. Simon

EssexBOF

Two more depart the from the scene in the form of George Fuller of "Dixielander" fame and Stafford Screene

EssexBOF

And another, Pete Russell of the Straight & Level column in RCME in the 70's plus Gold Trophy Stunt winner at the Nats several times

Colin McGeachy

Although I've not seriously flown R/C for about 25 years I decided to browse the local model shop to see what had changed. Doesn't anybody actually build any more? That evening I was on the web browsing for gliders and I entered "Al Wisher" into Google. My heart sank as I realised he'd passed away and I read Clive's tribute.

As teenager I, and a good friend Chris, were members of BMAC. Engines and fuel being too much for our teen budgets we drifted into gliders and Al. Although the memories have faded over the past 35 plus years I still remember how Al, quite literally, took us under his wing. I spent many a weekend, when I should have been chasing girls, running the towline for Al or Norman at a BARCS competition.

Under Al's guidance we started to compete but I think he moved North soon after and flying took a back seat to other pursuits.

Sad to hear but fond memories.

Colin McGeachy

Ottawa, Canada

EssexBOF

Sad to say that another old member of BARCs and model flying in general, John Wesley has passed away at the relatively young age of 57.

John was blighted by health problems over his years from when I first knew him, but he never let that hold him back, to the extent he was a bit blase at times.

He flew many Barcs comps in the 70s into the early 80s, where he was a force to be reckoned with by having that uncanny knack to detect lift whilst the model was still on tow, until he went into the model trade with Ripmax, where he got into helicoptors in a big way. He supported Barcs with donations to raffle prizes when asked, so was a great help to the group.

He had of late got into building some old free flight models converted to electic power and was in the process of building a Tomboy, something I never thought he would have taken up, but I suppose he found it theraputic, as some of us older ones still.

RIP John

Chris Balment

My friend Colin in Ottawa brought this sad news to my attention.

We were members of BMAC at the same time as Al during his period for building brightly coloured Phase Lifts.

I remember frequently visiting his house in Basingstoke where half of his living room was a model glider production area. Both Colin and myself towed for Al in many comps, he never reciprocated the favour. Fond memories.

Chris Balment

Tim Ironmonger

Very sad to learn this even if it was 6 years ago......I remember my dad flying with him often in the 70s 80s