Wing Joiners

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member

I got myself an Alpina at the BARCS market. The box it came in shows it to be the CS,but now that I have looked at it properly I know its not that model but the first version. I am even more pleased about this as I had one when they were the latest/best model to have.

The fus is used and was slightly damaged but nothing serious and easy to sort out, plus a respray as the epoxy has toned down to an off white shade.

The wings are 'new' and unfinished but they are not orriginal MPX. The wing spar is 12 x 5mm hardwood of some sort, and the skin is obechi. It's many years since I flew the last one I had but I must say I dont remember the wing being quite as flexible as this.

Biggest problem at the moment is that there is no joiner box in the wing panels, and the spars are about 5-10mm infront of the joiner blade position. 

Should be able to put it all together but I need the joiners

Any guide where to buy 15 x 2mm steel ?

Pete

• Administrators

The Alpinas used two brass boxes in the fuz that were fixed to each other side-to-side at a slight angle to each other to give the dihedral angle.  Gliders Distribution used to have matching sets of blades and brass boxes I think, but I found this: http://www.gliders.uk.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G752%2E14.  

I recently downloaded the original manual of the old Alpina from the Multiplex site; there is a good description of how it's done there (use IE, it didn't work with Chrome which I normally use).

• Committee Member

Thanks guys for the quick replies  :thumbsup:

Chris, the fus joiner boxes are already installed in the fus. so thats one problem I dont have. I just found and downloaded the manual so that is also a great help.

I have now found that the rudder pushrod is corroded solid and is un moveable. I will replace it with a pull pull as I have an unused heavy duty one in my box of bits.

I had to cut the rudder post out to investigate this problem and doing so I found that the elevater bellcrank is a big black plastic looking item. I seem to remember these were a problem aand could fail, any guidance?

Cheers

Pete

Pete, yeah, there a rumours of failure of the black plastic bellcrank. Not a fun thing to happen to one :wacko: .  While you have the back end open, it's well worth replacing with something stronger:  I used ordinary epoxy/glass (G10) plate:

• Committee Member
downloading the manuals ......you mean you dont have an original .....think mine is 26 ys oldI

Sadly that would have been about the time my original was binned :unsure:

I had to cut the rudder post out to investigate this problem and doing so I found that the elevater bellcrank is a big black plastic looking item. I seem to remember these were a problem aand could fail, any guidance?

Cheers

Pete

Now you've opened up the tail - yes, replace that original bellcrank, which will be brittle by now, so likely to fail if it hasnt already failed - see here for what mine looked like:

I made one up from scrap G10 circuit board material - pic a couple of posts down from that one

Phil.