Futaba 12FG LCD Backlight Mod

Rooster-X

Worth a look on www.runryder.com as well. They have had a lot of stuff on backlight mods in the past, including pointing out the Gotchas. It's certainly doable, but you have to be very careful not to damage the existing display as you peel off the reflective backing etc.

Simon

OK, not wanting to put a downer on the idea, but messing about with the internals of a TX might invalidate your BMFA insurance, BMFA certainly frowned on Tx mods when Spectrum first came out with their initial "plumbing" solution for the JR 2.4 modules.

I'll not ***** about the RumpRyder site, but be wary of the "owner", he's a total fruitcake !

To be honest its only a problem when I'm programming and I can live with it. I am certain that the BMFA would not be happy if I made such a major modification as I have been told (wrongly or rightly) that they are not happy with a simple modification of changing the supplied battery from a NiMh to a Lipo, maybe a subject for a different thread though ;)

Ah.. The joy of scare mongering on the radio mods. Wonder how they feel about one of the latest rcm&e mags telling people how to mod / make the signal channel units? We all used to have to build our own radios. Now... You are not allowed to change batteries or even open it up? I think this is more to with manufacturers not wanting use too, than the bmfa :-P 

Maybe. Have you actually checked if your open source software stuff actually is acceptable under the guidelines for BMFA insurance?

Would be nice to get that confirmed.

Maybe. Have you actually checked if your open source software stuff actually is acceptable under the guidelines for BMFA insurance?

I think it is unlikely to be mentioned at all. 

I am not sure on what grounds the basis for open source being less reliable than closed source software lies.  

I think it is unlikely to be mentioned at all. 

I am not sure on what grounds the basis for open source being less reliable than closed source software lies.  

Last time this came up I thought it ended up that all they say is that you have confidence in your equipment being safe to fly with.

We build the planes, sometimes from scratch. So why shouldn't we be able to move a few wires?

I dunno, seems like an obvious area for the insurers to weasel out with.

I mean the stuff comes with a CE certification, does tweaking anything affect that? And what does the CE stamp mean anyway?

I dunno, seems like an obvious area for the insurers to weasel out with. I mean the stuff comes with a CE certification, does tweaking anything affect that? And what does the CE stamp mean anyway?
CE means the manufacturer says it complies with a few tests, mainly to do with interfering with other things. Nothing to do with its rc functionality at all as far as I know. The insurance policy didn't used to say anything about the equipment - I don't know if it does now the BMFA have switched insurers?