X Models Whisper wing incidence pin extraction

Robtarm

Bought a second hand Whisper and discovered that one of the fore and aft wing pins has pushed in flush with the wing root. Onlv suggestion from the X models importer was 'push it in further and fit another'. It appears to be let into the TE, so no access from behind. Don't really fancy trying to push it into the spar if avoidable. It was fitted into a drilled hole originally.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

dartmoor flier

Hi,

try this drill a 1.5mm hole in the peg then tap it out 2mm , screw in a2mmbolt and pull it out, if you have on taps screw in a selftapping

screw and pull it out

hope this helps

Chris

strong (rare earth) magnets can get them out sometimes.

You could try digging out a little material round the pin to get needle nose pliers on to the pin and extract it. It has worked for me more than once.

Thanks for the suggestions. Probably should have said that the pins are only about 2mm diameter and seem to have domed ends. Don't fancy my chance of drilling.

The magnets I have dont extract. As it was pushed into the TE, I think it is fairly tightly gripped.

Would need to do quite a bit of damage to the wing root to get pliers on. Last resort approach for me.

I might try making a narrow slot at the end of the pin to push it out enough to grip, then fill the slot. Filled and painted won't show if I do it accurately. Getting a new pin so I will know how long it is.

Thanks again.

Drill a bigger hole near it, push it into the wing and then extract it through the bigger hole, , then fill the bigger hole, and glue it into the initial hole.

Drill a bigger hole near it, push it into the wing and then extract it through the bigger hole, , then fill the bigger hole, and glue it into the initial hole.

The pin is fitted into the TE spar, which is continuous from the wing root to at least the outer edge of theailerons, so can't push t into the wing.

Get a piece of metal tube that just fits over the pin. Sharpen end, maybe cut teeth in and then place over the pin and cut around it until it is free.

Get a piece of metal tube that just fits over the pin. Sharpen end, maybe cut teeth in and then place over the pin and cut around it until it is free.

It still might not be free, but then I guess you could add superglue inside the tube and use that to hook it in the end?

How about installing the new incident pin in a different position, and just filling over the old hole/pin ?

The incidence pins don't add any structural strength, so nothing is lost there.

You would need good measuring and drilling skills 

Thanks again. Will try the sharp tube option as soon as I can get to a supplier (haven't got any right size in the bin at present). That will do no visible cosmetic damage and provide a ready made and correctly positioned holder for the repositioned pin.

You would need good measuring and drilling skills 

As long as the pin is in square you drill an oversize hole in the fus. Wax the pin and wing root. Mask the fus around the hole and then apply epoxy/milled glass or microballoon mix to the hole and slide together making sure the wing is correctly aligned.

Simples.

isoaritfirst

Iagree with Mr Ed, just remake it back into a bigger hole. But if for some reason you are reluctant to do that then you could first try putting something of a similar size in through a servo hole and test if it will shake through around by the wrong tip where the spar may not close of the front cavity. If you can get something through then simply knock the incidence pin into the wing and shake it all about

Iagree with Mr Ed, just remake it back into a bigger hole. But if for some reason you are reluctant to do that then you could first try putting something of a similar size in through a servo hole and test if it will shake through around by the wrong tip where the spar may not close of the front cavity. If you can get something through then simply knock the incidence pin into the wing and shake it all about

Do you then do the hokey cokey Mike ?

If you can get something through then simply knock the incidence pin into the wing and shake it all about

Do you then do the hokey cokey Mike ?

"you put your port wing incidence pin in, you pull your port wing incidence pin out"

Doesn't quite have the same ring somehow...

isoaritfirst
Extracted. Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Is that it - extracted --

after all the work we put in the least we should get is a video of the extraction!

OK

Too impatient to wait until I could get a sharp tube.

No access to the inner end of the pin as the TE spar into which it is recessed is continuous from the wing root to wing tip probably (way too far anyway).

So, used dremel clone to cut small slot in the wing undersurface to get to the end of the pin and pushed it out to the correct length. It was in surprisingly firmly. Refilled the cavity with epoxy and will apply paint to the scar when I have got some matching paint.

Thanks for you support. Hope to fly it at Thurnham soon.