New arrival at the BARCS Forums

Ian P Jones

Hi all,

Since I'm new here I'm following up the suggestion to introduce myself a little bit.

I'm pretty new to slope soaring really having only first ventured into this area of RC in mid 2011. I started with a JP-Si Zagi which was very quickly followed by a SAS Fusion (yes there is story to that) and last year I had may first go at being towed aloft at the RDMFC Aerotow using a slightly modified ST DG1000.

Plans at the moment are to finish converting an EDF Eurofighter Typhoon for the slope, hopefully build two of Nigel Hawes's Tucanos - one for this year's RCM&E mass build and the other for sloping. A couple of months ago I bought a 2nd hand Phase 6 which I still haven't flown yet - all the usual excuses, plus I live in Cheshire so getting to a slope isn't just a short trip down the road (though I have discovered a couple of promising slopes in the last few days :-).

More generally I have been actively involved in RC aeroplanes for ten years now, flying mostly IC powered fixed wing scale or semi-scale models though I do have others which I enjoy too and I am a BMFA FW Qualified Instructor.

So here I am, new to BARCS and hoping to feed my developing interest in soaring.

Thanks for the welcome, those little gremlins either sorted or on their way to being so and all is well.

I'll have a look into completing my profile more thoroughly when I have a moment.

Thanks for the welcome, those little gremlins either sorted or on their way to being so and all is well.

I'll have a look into completing my profile more thoroughly when I have a moment.

Welcome ian,anything we can help you with just ask!where are you from?

Welcome ian,anything we can help you with just ask!where are you from?

Well actually since you mention it abbof3f, I live in Middlewich, Cheshire and though the slopes are few and far between some searching around has been fruitful - Bosley Cloud for example, perhaps someone here can tell me about a few other sites.

I have recently come across Slople which lists a very interesting looking site not far from Bosley Cloud at Bosley Minn - on Google Earth there's even someone by a car with a glider in hand! Also listed is a slope at Kelsall which appears to be accessed via a farm drive.

Anyone any knowledge of these sites (should this question be in a new thread?).

Thanks for all the other welcomes too, it's always nice to be made to feel at home.

:)