Thks2

Stupot46

Dust? You trying to tell me I should have dust??????? ;)

I just wondered how you manage not to have any. Personally, I don't think dust is a good thing, but I seem to be unable to work without creating some.

I have to admit I'd just gone over the bench with a hand vac.I've discovered that dust,carbon tow and epoxy are not a happy combination.

Stuart

Bit of an update.First pic is just a bench fly!

I made a bit of a jig using the upper wing bed to fit a hard point for a(loose)locating dowel.This will also act as a core for a fairing from the wings high point to the rear of the canopy.

Also routed a bit more out of the servo pockets to give me a bit more room to open the clevis's.

This foam wing build is vastly different from the balsa/ply type I'm used to.Whole new skill set to learn,I can't imagine tackling this without the resources available online.

Did somebody mention dust!

Blathered a goodly amount of lt filler on the wing,that should create a fair amount of the stuff.While waiting for it to dry I attacked a length of glazing bead for the leading edge.Just roughed it out with a razor plane.The profile already has a "nose"so it's a good start.Finish with plane and sanding bars when it's fitted.

More prep work.I used a greased straw and pu glue to line the channels to the servos.Takes a long time to go off,I might try some rapid aerosol foam next time.

Sunk a couple of straws in to take extension wires to the servos,and made wax paper templates.That's just about every thing,sheeting next.

Top surface sheeted.Some epoxy bled through on the first sheet,which I didn't expect.Luckily the foam gave way easily,so no harm done.Opposite side pressed with waxed papers between.

An update.With the wing in place,I built up the l/e and canopy plug to fair them together.The plug is ready to prime.

I made up some wing skins,and cut a couple of pieces of flooring to suit the bed.Various clamps and blocks arranged to locate all the various elements correctly.

I hadn't enough clamps to do the whole wing,so used weight instead.The under side is relatively flat so this should be ok.

This gave me another problem- is my bench strong enough to take the weight.So a centre support cobbled together!

Tapatalk is telling me it can't upload all this,if any goes missing I'll pop it in the next

A wing is born! Turned out quite good if I may be so bold!As a bit of light relief used the lower beds to make some fillets.More sanding and filling needed,but these should work.

• Like 1

Thanks Roy,hopefully you got it right.:)

In-between the wing sheeting I gave the fin the fill/sand/ primer treatment.I need to fix this to the fus.so I can blend it in and get the whole thing ready to finish.So laid out some lines at 90* on masking tape and set the fuselage and wing square.Levelled the wing,also checked across the canopy frame.Used the wax paper template to set the front of the fin to the centre line.With a set square against the fin,measured from the fin apex to the l/e tips.Couldn't think of any thing else to measure so had a cup of tea.:)

Next I'll remove the tail,apply wood glue,recheck and have another cuppa.The fin's a tight fit to the fus.,no clamps needed.

An update on my dirty deeds.First pic is the fin attached,filled and primed.

As the wing has turned out very stiff in both bending and twisting,I've decided to go owd skool and give it a tissue and dope finish.Also,some hardwood for the l/e.So,using a piece of Wickes glazing bar ;) I roughed out a pair with the power plane.To fit I first cut back the wing beds,set the wing in and clamped up between timbers.Then stood the whole thing upright.

So I wouldn't have to check alignment while taping I drilled holes in the l/e and pegged it to the wing with cocktail sticks.Then used some strong stranded tape to pull the strips tight against the wing.

When dry,laid it flat and attacked it with sanding bars.To protect the balsa I first used some plastic strip as a shield, changed to masking tape for the finer grades.

Before I go any further I need to make some profile templates.

Careful with that dope... Using my extensive scientific resources, I can now reveal the following chemical formula -

Dope + Foam => Sticky mess + Loud swearing + having to repair to the tap room of the Dog & Handgun for a fortifying pint or seven.

If you don't want to skin with epoxy and glass, why not paint a coat or three of Wickes interior varnish (water based) on it? It dries hard and shiny. Make sure you get the stuff that specifies you clean brushes with WATER or you're back in the 'dope melts foam' scenario again...

Thanks for the timely warning! I've read lots of stuff"over there" on solvents and foam,I can't recall the dope thing being mentioned.

I'll have a look at the water based varnish thing,sounds like a good plan.The Komet was finished with it,small roller gives a nice surface.Headline in the Daily Redface-Dope Ruins Wing-With Dope! :(