South West Slopers

Lundylynda

Well, crossing everything, the weather for this Sunday is looking quite pleasant for our Somerset Trophy Competition at Whitesheet. Fancy having a go? Anyone can join us....all abilities welcome.  Please send your entries to swallacegromit@aol.com by 7.00pm on Friday 17th Oct.. just so we have an idea of numbers.  

This comp comprises two separate tasks. The first is similar to the 'Loops & Spots' comp, the second is a race against the clock.- so easy :)  

SW wind .. from 12 up to 18 mph predicted midday. - bring woolly hats  :D

Thanks for your above post Lynda :)

We have decided to open the Somerset Trophy Comp up to non members too. Here are the main details of the competition;-
         This comp comprises two separate tasks. The first is similar to the 'Loops & Spots' comp, the second is a race against the clock.
Task 1;- From a hand launch, gain height & perform as many loops as possible within 2 minutes and land within a further 1 minute. The clock starts from launch and is called out to the competitors at 30 second intervals during the loops and at 15 seconds during the landing, with a countdown for the last 15 seconds. Landing outside the scheduled time will score zero marks as will landing a distance of more than 100 feet from the spot.
Task 2 ;- consists of flying five laps (flown one model at a time) against the clock ( A lap is the distance between two flags-there & back) Prior to entering the course the pilot is allowed 30 seconds in which to gain height. The timed run starts as the model enters the course or the height gain time elapses, whichever is the sooner. The course length is 80 mtr from base A - B.
Signalling of turns is via flagmen at the turn bases.
Points are awarded for each element ie, number of loops, spot landing and race against the clock. These are then added together to calculate the winner.
Model choice ;-  You can enter any type of model you wish, ie sports model, foamie, mouldie, crunchie, the choice is yours.

Please send your entries to swallacegromit@aol.com by 7.00pm tomoz, ie Friday 17th

Note ;- After the Somerset trophy comp has finished, it is planned (time & weather permitting) to set up an F3f course, so bring along a model for this too. Itl be the perfect opportunity to perhaps have a go on an F3f course for the very first time, and for regular F3f flyers to get a bit of on course practice.

Meet time is 10.00 am on top of Whitesheet

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Hi Guys,

Latest forecast is looking very good for the 'Somerset Trophy Comp' at Whitesheet on Sunday. Dry, sunny spells, warm & windy, what more could we want :drool:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2642730  

It would be great to have some more entries. (details of the comp are in my previous post) If you have yet to send in your entry would you please do so by 7.00pm this evening, as I need to know no's attending.  Many thanks.

Stu Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Hi Guys,

Eleven of us had a very challenging, enjoyable and very windy 'Somerset Trophy Comp' on the SW bowl at Whitesheet today. It was a 'Grand day out' for us all  :thumbsup: .

I shall post a full report with comp task scores & results breakdown table tomorrow, but to avoid delay here is the overall result.

1.  Joe Cubbitt.

2.  Graeme Mahoney.

3.  Mike Seale.

4.  Tony Livingstone.

5.  John Hacker.

6.  Stu Wallace.

7.  Ian Falconer.

8.  John Philips.

9.  Chris Lamming.

10. Lynda Blythe.

11. Pete Burgess.

Stu,  Whitesheet Comp Sec.

I think you will find I came tenth fair and square , ;) I do however need some serious landing practice but being a girliy has its pluses as I found very obliging flyers who were happy to pick up my predictor from an adjacent field . Thanks Chris and Joe

• Like 1

"peter Burgess beaten by a lady ..in a loops competition ......or were you just being gallant ....

He was rubbish, best laugh I have had on a hill in ages.

JP

Not much better as I was still in shock

• Like 1

I have to defend Pete here... he did give me some good advice - which I followed ..but don't think for a minute that I will not be taking you guys on! . Once landing has been cracked ( not literally) I might just do it again!  :D

Hi Guys, Apologies for the delay in  my comp report, an extremely busy day ystdy prevented me from doing so ystdy. This morning my son overslept meaning he missed his train to Bristol, this meant me having to drive him there, this has been a 4 hr round trip for me :angry: , kids eh :rolleyes: .

I plan to post a full report about the comp when I get the chance later today, but for now here are a few more details about the comp so that you get an understanding of its content .

The Somerset Trophy Comp involves 3 separate tasks, these are as follows ;-

1- the maximum number of loops in 2 mins.

2- This is immeadiately followed by an accurately measured spot landing in the following 1 minute.

3- A pylon race, 10 legs of an 80mtr course.

Placings are awarded for each respective part of the comp, the person with the lowest score is the winner. For example, the best case scenario is that you win all three tasks you would then score 3 points (1+1+1=3).  If you achieved a win, a second and a third, this would mean you score 6 points (1+2+3=6).

Pete wasn't the only regular F3f pilot to be beaten by Lynda in the loops part of the comp. Three other guys also got beaten by a woman :o LOL. Just like Pete two of them are regular F3f pilots, their names will be revealed in my report  :blush: I bet your all feeling scared now eh guys ( I am) :D LOL, oh the shame of it :blush: lol

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.

whats more scarey is I understand more than one pilot couldn't land in the same field for the spot landing .............!!!!!!

It was the aroma of Lynda cooking some gorgeous bacon butties wafting across the slope that acted like a magnet for them :drool: .  Of course, you wouldn't know about the effects this has on a slope pilot Andy as you 'Nasty Midlanders' don't have such luxuries at your events do you  :D  lol

Stu

• Like 1