F5J recommendations

Big Bear

Jason has given a lot of info as to what is needed and he has put a lot of effort and money in to finding a solution.

You need to examine your intended purchase, as to what motor will fit into it which will give you the required performance.

I did this before buying my first Electra V, as it being a glider conversion fuselage, retained the original long nose, so needed a small diameter motor to fit inside the 32mm dia nose. You can cut the nose off further back to fit a larger motor, but that only increases the weight.

Having got a liking for Hyperion outrunners, as having no gearbox to worry about loses another problem to contend with. That said the Kontronik KPG 5.2 box has given good service over several years in several models.

As related the Hyperion 2218-10 fits in well but the weight of the model needs to be under 2 K as it will struggle above that, but at 83grams and 28 mm in dia it is a great little motor. Plus it is a good price at £52 The Hacker A20-6 would be a good choice as wellas again it is small in dia plus the small size prop required over the 8 version saves the pocket on props on the large ones required and lessens the load on the motor shaft.

If price is the main consideration, the Electra V will take a lot of beating, both in price, cost of fitting out, light weight with ability to roam the sky, that said the prices are not getting any cheaper, with the pound sinking against the Euro.

Firstly, many thanks to all of you for your responses.

I am leaning towards the pepper as the extra performance with no penalty other than price seems to fit my needs.

Value for money ? maybe not, but perhaps buying once and being confident that its right may save me buying twice.

Which Pepper did you use Jason in the Stork and how well is the 50a controller standing up to running so close to its limits.

This one Mike

http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1437

The CC ESCs are rated at continuos current and its for 30seconds or less so the ESC is hardly warm.  The motor does heat up however, but unless you are doing some sort of landing approach or climb triming, theres usualy 4 mins between motor burns, so with suitable ventilation the motor has a rest between power phases.

I'm not familiar with with the Tragi electric fus (I assume thats what you are getting?) you might want to wait untill the fus is here are mock up some weights to see what the balance requirements are.  There are occasions where the heavier motor of a Hacker or less so with a Kontronics might be required.

Some notes about the PP in a Tragi here Mike:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/123755-F3J-Modell-Tragi-801X/page11

He seems to be turning quite a large prop on it. Perhaps not what you might require for F5J.

Cheers Jason,

The x 10 one then, - less KV's than the  X 8 mentioned by Chris earlier.

I see the  X 8 is best for 2 0r 3 cells and looks like it is worked very hard with a high Kv.

That Tragi is the one I featured earlier in the video - but I hadn't seen that thread before.

Picture also shows a Hoval hot water tank. ( things which help pay for my Tragis etc....)

• 2 months later...
isoaritfirst

Having now got my Tragi Cluster sorted out and balanced with a 900mah 3 cell  Lipo, should I be concerned about how long the battery will last driving 6 digital servos after its last motor run?

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

In a word yes.

For safety sake, 2 runs max OK. But much preferable to re-charge between each launch.

As I know to my cost, small lipos dont give you much of a safety margin.

• Like 1

I get 3 runs out of my 1200 could squeeze 4 if I wanted but the launch does sag.

Best bet is to do 2 launches and the recharge. See what goes back in and take a view from there.

Don't forget to try it over a few batteries to get an average.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Sports flying in decent conditions is going to mean landing after 20 minutes I guess.

You do really need to do a few launches to check what your motor takes for the climb. Once you get  this you can assess how long you can glide. In normal thermal flight it is surprising how little is actually used, but if you go in for more agressive flight you will probably use a bit more.

The most difficult thing I find is to keep track of total motor runtime if you run the motor severall times in a flight due to crap conditions. Do this and then find good air and it is easy to forget you have a small lipo and stretch the flight beyond safety.

I lost an Electra last year doing this. In to a good thermal flight after several low climbs, the voltage alarm on my tx suddenly sounded and I looked at the screen which showed 4.9v. I turned the model towards me to head back to the field, the alarm went again and voltage was 4.5v, then nothing.The model rolled inverted all by itself and headed for the deck.

It happened in less than 30seconds so absolutely no chance to take any recovery action.

If you can put a bigger lipo in, I would.

isoaritfirst

tried the Tragi Cluster balance this weekend with  900, 1100 and 1600 lipos, balances fine on all.

The hardest one is the 900 which does need to be well forward.

Still not flown it though....

• 3 weeks later...
isoaritfirst

Eventually managed to get the Cluster in the air.

Conditions were very bright and sunny but very lumpy. 

Nice afternoon but I do need to fine tune a few settings and decide just how the Cluster wants to be flown. It was hard to tell yesterday as the air was far too variable.

How did you get the Cluster to balance in the right place with nose that long? Do you have a very light motor or is there lead in the tail!

I use a Hacker A20 with gearbox and a 4cell 1300 set right back under the wing seat and I still had to chop 50mm off the nose!

Peter

isoaritfirst

BAlances fine with the peggy pepper and either 1600 cells or 900 cells right forward.

Servos are under the wing. No tail weight.