Valenta Thermik XL

Woodstock

Alan Letcher

I only flew the Shadow yesterday first time with electric Fuz! I loved it climb rate was real good.there was about 15knots of wind,I also have a glider Fuz so best of two worlds as they say.I just feel to fly such a large moulded glider with electric was very impressive !Bunt and roll was a piece of cake.Is the Thermick simalar?

Similarish I guess, but it's BIG!  'glass overcast :blink::)  !  

My main interest in flying is aerobatics, so I can't stop myself doing them with every plane, and the Thermik is surprisingly capable for a 4 m model.  My other "same as" model is a Valenta Volcano (3.7 m), and actually the Thermik rolls better.  Negative moves (like bunts) are pretty "powerful" too.  I do have the CoG pretty far back though...  Nevertheless it probably isn't as agile as the smaller Shadow.

Alan Letcher

It sounds a good model to me and fine for those light wind days!Looked up a German Model Shop who sells it for £560 so it has to be good value all moulded .Dont think we have to pay any tax if we import it direct.

There's something nice when you have such a big wing span model up there in the blue yonder!

This is the good thing about BARCS meeting someone flying a model that I am thinking about buying.

Will look up the Volcano also.

Ha ha, Tom is going to tell you it`'s too heavy for thermalling.  Sure, it isn't as I said like modern f3j ships, but it keeps up with my Tragi 705 (earlier generation F3J with also a MH32 foil) any day in terms of thermalling ability:  It just does it faster...  Also, I went for pure glass (no carbon or D-box) and built it carefully with an eye to weight, and my AUW is 3.9 Kg. There are many XL's out there that are  a lot heavier (more around 5 Kg).  The glass version is strong enough for vicious square loops, so I would definitely advise that version.

There is no model out there I think that gives you a better £ per metre ratio of moulded goodness...

Alan Letcher

I am thinking of one for slope and field! Not a comp person but have used a Gopro on some models the results are AMAZING Talking to you guys makes me feel good about buying one have you used ballast?what sort of wind will it fly in without ballast?Square loops with a model like this is very good.

Staufenbiel is the name of the German firm that has them at a good price.

I haven't made provision for ballast in mine, as I see it as a light conditions plane, I have others for heavy slope use.  For that reason TBH I haven't tried flying it in conditions over 10 - 15 knots, but I have no doubt it won't have too much trouble.

I buy from Staufenbiel a lot (the other two big ones are Lindinger and Der Schweighofer), but mainly because I'm in Ireland, and it generally costs me more to buy at UK prices + shipping than from the Continent.

well i do think it is heavy for a flat field model, but yes good value.

Only when compared to F3J / TD competition models, Tom.  Almost any sport thermal plane will have a higher wing loading, but you just don't have such planes.  And you are basing that on the one that you've seen.  I'm pretty sure mine is a lot lighter.

well he's already got  shadow which is probably 1.5kg lighter for about 30cm less wing span. 

Just my opinion. Flies nice anyway.

Alan Letcher

I've sent for one today!Only live once I am sure I will enjoy it.Been at this all my life so I will give it respect and use it in light winds,I am sure I will find out its limits but you guys have been good to me on here and helped me to make up my mind.I I fly Gliders up on the slopes all the time and do some power flying at a local club,That's why I was wondering about flying from a field.

Sorry Alan, I've been pulling your leg:  it's actually a TERRIBLE model, not recommended at all!  No, just kidding, never heard anyone who hasn't enjoyed theirs, I'm sure you will too!

I'm a sloper too (actually that's all I do), but like to have something in reserve for when the wind dies off...

Now have to decide on motor etc!

My setup (post #2 of this thread) sure works great, and wasn't too expensive.

• 1 month later...