stylized sled

Thermaled

Had a few guys in the workshop the other day, talk  turned to making a zephyr like sled and could I make a plug and fuse moulds for something like that. I have more interest in pointy nosed higgins type sleds that the pss types but agreed to look into it, and firstly had a good look at the zephyr threads and then the reno racer planes which are all converted ww2 combat planes as far as I can see, none of them really  did it for me. The biggest thing to come out of the conversation was it had to have power bulges, well ok then seemed to remember some of those old Shneider trophy racers were oversized engines squeezed into slipperty fuselages with interesting bulges, so did some searching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Piaggio_Pegna_P.C.7_3-view.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Macchi_MC.72.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Supermarine_S-6B.svg

Also search for Macchi m39 and m52,  that italian styling was way ahead of its time, take a mc72, remove one of the engines and make the nose shorter, replace the wing with a piaggio one and a very familiar shape emerges, and these were all late twenties early thirties planes...incredible.

Anyway back to the main subject, I seem to remember a S6B on the cover of a silent flight or QFI a few years back so guess its already been done, but maybe time for a sledified version of one of these planes, or at least use one as a starting point, what do you think? Interested to hear what particular shapes and bulges tick the boxes?

Here's a couple for you.( I'm not being very serious here:) ) My youngest g'daughter loves this film,one day I'll make a "Crimson pig" It's certainly got a big bulge,albeit in the wrong place for a pss! On the Italian theme,the other pic would make a nice subject. To get back to sanity any of the later cup planes would be a good start for a design,maybe with a less squared off wing. Stuart

Great, one vote  for the Piaggio, with emphisised "boobs" as a starting point. Eliptical wing is a bit to much work for a short kit builder though I fear, maybe a more Zephyr like wing on it as really like what the guys did with the tips on those builds, simple yet adds some nice curves to the tips! The crimson pig has some things going for it, will bear it in mind Stuart. Will give it a couple of days to see if any more ideas come in.

I rather like the sculpted look of the early Macchi`s the M39 and M52, they certainly have some "boobs", possibly not pnf enough but could be tweaked no doubt.

The Zephyr is seriously cool but the 4 piece mould looks a pig. Dutchy spent nearly a year getting the shape and mould spot on.

I'm just about 3/4 if the way through my Mini Huma and if I had designed that to have blisters I'd just make separate ones and glue them on.

Thanks for the link, was trying to find that thread yesterday. Yes those bumps look quite a pain to mould in and still get draught angles to pull the parts, will take some thinking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that looks nice Andy,  good place to start, stab is a bit close to the ground  but like the fin and general lines. I had drawn up some stuff based on the Macchi 72 but have been having puter props and lost it all, that will teach me to back things up more regularly.

Looks like your going to be busy Mark :D .  Good thing too though , your amazing building talent has been going to waste lately by riding ya Mountain bike ;) . Welcome back B) .

Stu.

Thats just the GP-5 sweet dreams with the scoop sliced off really, as Andy sugested, so that was easy, had braced myself for weeks of tweaking! Wil give it a couple of days and get started then if there are no refinements. Wing is currently 1270mm span with 205mm root so fairly high ar for a pss type, tips are fairly square on the full size as best I can make out but like the more angular look. Wing permanantly fixed with a hatch on top? Fuz currently 78mm wide and 146 deep at the canopy area to give some perspective of the size.

• Like 1