Nats 2013

EssexBOF

• Administrators

Silent Flight Nationals 2013, provisionally to be at Cranwell with all classes together, on the August Bank Holiday.

Back to the old days, super!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

really good news that the nats are to be held at cranwell again its been along time since we flew there and theres a great pub just around the corner.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got my Barkston pass and camping tickets with comprehensive site instructions (application and payment was very slick) but there is no mention of the silent flight nationals at Cranwell, perhaps the BMFA could post details to the entrants?

GB

It is a good idea, just a few small details missing at the moment.

Location of the flying site (I think Cranwell has multiple grass areas)

Confirmed 35 mhz frequency from a choice of two that I gave for 100S (I'd like to change the crystals before the event if possible and do a range check).

Start of flying session times.

Cheers

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
Bernie Jones

Should know by now Brian that Gliding is a laid back hobby it will all come be ready on the day here is a note from Mike chief cook and bottle washer for the silent flight Nats, one man against the world.

Hello All

Just a quick update on the Nats situation.

First email with info will be going out tonight to registered entrants.
It may have all the frequency details ( not all are on 2.4!!) if not, that will follow later.
The gate key pad code for Cranwell access from Rauceby Lane will certainly be issued late by email for RAF security reasons.

Regards

Mike

Bernie Jones

Hi All

If you have entered the S/F Nats and paid you should now have received an e-mail with details of Gate, freq, and area map

gate codes and any further updates will follow towards the end of the week

Cheers

Bernie

Thanks Bernie,

Looks clear to me.

Something we used to do after the RAFMAA Championships finished was taking BMFA badge tests which I thought was a nice touch.

Would there be any examiners present and willing to take tests in the evening?

I only have an 'A' power badge, quite poor for a chairman of a club! I guess most comp flyers could be (and are) instructors.

Just a thought. Cheers

Gary

Perhaps we should start a separate thread on that. I would put myself forward as a club examiner (power and silent flight) but I would need to hold a B badge in both disciplines for a minimum of six months first according to the good book.

GB

Bernie Jones

Hi Gary

Would be happy to take your silent flight test, best way is with a powered glider but any will do, I can do your A but would need to rope in another examiner for the B can be a power examiner if that's all that available, I'm sure we can do something, but remember to have a good read of the BMFA books as that's where most people fail the flying is the easy bit

I'm not 100% sure but I think as long as you have had your power B for six months, you can become silent flight and power examiner if that's what you club wants, having taken the silent flight A and B, find a friendly chief examiner to check you out as a club examiner

Will throw the test pack in the motor home as well (another thing for my poor old brain to remember)

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, perhaps we can have a chat on the field or at Barkston.

I need to brush up on inverted flight and stall turns, was quite surprised when I read that part of the test as I rarely turn my soarers the wrong way up!!

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Bernie, perhaps we can have a chat on the field or at Barkston.

I need to brush up on inverted flight and stall turns, was quite surprised when I read that part of the test as I rarely turn my soarers the wrong way up!!

Cheers

Gary

But thermal soarers fly better in sink when they are inverted don't they ?

• Like 1

Bernie Jones

Pete

Find me at the nationals if your going and have a chat, I live ten miles north of Brighton and I'm sure we can arrange something to suit.

Bernie

After having a few practises today I failed miserably at inverted flight in a straight line (pretty sure the polyhedral was working against me) and stall turns were not happening despite warp factor entry speeds and increased rudder throws!

Different matter with my Wots-Wot and Phase 6!

Never mind, I'm looking forward to the weekend very much.

Cheers

Gary