Sign in to follow this  
EssexBOF

Nats 2013

Pete Burgess

Are there any Slope Soaring examiners in the southeast?

(Robin, do you do slope soaring?)

Gary B

Thanks Bernie, perhaps we can have a chat on the field or at Barkston.

I need to brush up on inverted flight and stall turns, was quite surprised when I read that part of the test as I rarely turn my soarers the wrong way up!!

Cheers

Gary

f3fman

Thanks Bernie, perhaps we can have a chat on the field or at Barkston.

I need to brush up on inverted flight and stall turns, was quite surprised when I read that part of the test as I rarely turn my soarers the wrong way up!!

Cheers

Gary

But thermal soarers fly better in sink when they are inverted don't they ?

• Like 1

Bernie Jones

Pete

Find me at the nationals if your going and have a chat, I live ten miles north of Brighton and I'm sure we can arrange something to suit.

Bernie

Robin Sleight

Reply for Pete,

SF Examiners are cleared to handle either flat field or slope however Bernie's offer is one that you should take seriously.  The slope my club uses is very limited in wind direction and in any case now, our agreement with the landowners is that we do not use it after 1 Sept till the beginning of Feb.  So by the time we set anything up the slope would be off limits till 2014.

Robin

Gary B

After having a few practises today I failed miserably at inverted flight in a straight line (pretty sure the polyhedral was working against me) and stall turns were not happening despite warp factor entry speeds and increased rudder throws!

Different matter with my Wots-Wot and Phase 6!

Never mind, I'm looking forward to the weekend very much.

Cheers

Gary

grj

Strange, they're both manouvers I've seen you complete whilst thermalling :rolleyes:

Gary B

It's a fair cop guv!!

I deffo did it in the 100S at Radioglide when I was 'flying' someone else's Tracker! My spotter (Chas) asks which glider I am...'Straight ahead, going up like a rocket'....'So, that's not you spiralling out of control on my right?'.....'Errr....Oops!'

Currently loading the car, bit of a challenge!

JG

Hello Guys - Just seen the weather on tv and gives Thunder Storms all day tomorrow  :blink:

Gary B

Here's a bunch of steely-eyed F3J fly-off pilots!

CopyofPicture010_zpsf008a25e.jpg

Austin

Nice weather for a change then?

Gary B

Well it was on Monday but a stiff breeze with it.

Rest of the weekend was 'moist' as Clarkson would put it!!

grj

Despite the weather over Saturday (and the mid airs :o ), that was the best NATS I’ve been to for a few years.

Cranwell is a great site, huge area, lots of features to kick off lift and easy access from Barkston.

Great to be able to meet loads of friends on the campsite and in the hanger in the evening, a lot of whom are either flying power or electric these days, or just turn up for the craic, so wouldn’t get to see them if we didn’t have one NATS for all. If we broke away the SF NATS as has been mooted, I doubt we could have all the facilities we currently enjoy at such a modest cost.

Well done SFTC for securing the site and Mike Proctor for engineering electronic entry process and planning the event. Thanks to all the CD’s too. :thumbsup:

Great success in my opinion.

Graham

Robin Sleight

Thanks for the feedback Graham, your comments mirror my feelings too and the comments which I too got from some of the flyers.

Robin

EssexBOF

Yes I thought it was the best I had attended for some time. Cranwell was 1000% better than Spitalgate being more easy on access and walking over the field. Cottesmore was equally as good but the size & layout of Cranwell gives it the edge.

A straw poll at the end of the 2 metre Electric event on Monday to my surprise, seemed to favour a return to Wetlands for the Electric events, which would be a shame having now got it back together.

On the subject of testing flyers, is there any requirement for flyers in competitions to have any kind of certificate of competency to fly. I say this as myself & Keith Fisher were hit by a model, fortunately by the wing, if it had been the nose!!!!!!!!!! On an area as big as Cranwell this does not make sense. As an ACE in my area, the same guy was lucky to escape serious injury when switching on the motor, causing the prop to catch on the sleeve of his coat whilst trying to switch it off.

ThermalBoy

I have to totally agree with Brian that this years SF Nats was by far and away the best we have had for a long long time. The atmosphere & comaraderie compared to previous SF Nats was so much better. I also really enjoyed having all the disciplines in one place once again as it gave me a chance to talk to many old friends as well as flying at what must be one of the best model flying sites in the UK. It also gave us the opportunity to compete in more than one discipline with it being in the same place at the same time. Shame the weather didn't allow this to happen on the Saturday but no-one controls the weather !

I just dont understand how anyone when given a choice would prefer to fly at the Wetlands as opposed to magnificent RAF Cranwell. Apart from anything else the Wetlands present excellent opportunities for slope soaring when the wind is in the right direction. Not exactly in the spirit of thermal soaring to say the least.

So, I too would like to congratulate Mike Proctor & SFTC for securing this fantastic site for all of us. Long may it continue. Please lets all pull together to ensure that this wonderful flying site doesn't slip through our fingers.

Colin P

Austin

I just dont understand how anyone when given a choice would prefer to fly at the Wetlands as opposed to magnificent RAF Cranwell. Apart from anything else the Wetlands present excellent opportunities for slope soaring when the wind is in the right direction. Not exactly in the spirit of thermal soaring to say the least.

Wetlands in general is rubbish, having done many many contests there over the years its pretty crap for thermal soaring contests particularly when its windy. I remember Colin Lucas in F3J once launched and then walked 200m to the slope in front and soared it for 10 mins. Unfortunately mis-timing his walk back for the landing  :lol: ... but you get my drift.

Robin Sleight

I understand that Spittlegate will no longer be an option in any event.  Besides the access issues (not least that fact that the home owner on the access road was complaining that it was a private road), I am told that the army have now planted hundreds of trees on the site.  Obviously as of now, the trees are small but still ruin the site for our purposes, and in time as they grow, it will be seen to be completely non useable for thermal soaring.  Cranwell is a great solution but much will depend on ongoing good relationships between the RAF and the BMFA and in particular ongoing support for such use from the Cranwell CO (who of course gets changed every year or so).

Robin

satinet

Wetlands in general is rubbish, having done many many contests there over the years its pretty crap for thermal soaring contests particularly when its windy. I remember Colin Lucas in F3J once launched and then walked 200m to the slope in front and soared it for 10 mins. Unfortunately mis-timing his walk back for the landing  :lol: ... but you get my drift.

Well you wouldn't want to destroy the high octance excitement of a duration only comp would you  ;)

Cranwell was fine, but the no fly zone was a bit tedious when you were trying to fly out ten minutes and you had to fly out of the lift.  Thanks to Mike Proctor for putting in the work to organise everything.  I think a lot of people appreciated being able to go to Barkston. Seems like I was in the wrong on that one.

Shame about the weather on saturday but nothing anyone can do about that.  I would have stayed at home but everyone was keen to try and I had the score computer ;)

grj

Which no fly zone affected you Tom? Surely your 'high octane duration' round is the same as ours, just launched higher. I believe we flew from the F3B site on Sunday and Monday and had no issues.

Graham