Interglide 2013

Austin

Would like to confirm the dates as the 2nd is a Friday, gets my vote as I wouldn't have to take that day off work!

Just checking as it seems unusual.

Gary 

I did wonder! Glad we caught it early.

Do we have a rough idea of the Radioglide/Nationals dates?

Have to book holiday well in advance at my gaff.

GB 

• Administrators

Too many calendars to chose from!!

I think the Nationals might be one day adrift as well.

I'll get me coat!

Fixed.

• 2 months later...

As a suggestion a BBQ/party could be held at Bicester airfield (currently showing as not being available).

There are excellent BBQ facilities there used to catering for 100+ people, a large outside patio, tented covered area and the club bar.

It coincides with their main gliding competition of the year (a week long, ending on Sunday 4th) which means that they will probably have a BBQ/party and band on Saturday 3rd.

I could enquire into prices (usually not much, maybe £10 a head) and what their plans are and whether they could accept us.

GB

• Administrators

Hi Gary,

There are some BBQ arrangements in place. Chas and Peter have managed to find a local butcher that is prepared to run one and they did inform me two weeks ago but I have not had time to update the Interglide website with details and email the people already entered.

However what you're suggesting sounds good. Perhaps give Peter a call and then you guys can let me know the outcome.

Austin.

Sounds like it is worth checking out. The butchers have asked for a £50 deposit but nothing has been paid yet so there is still time to re-think. Chas is not on E mail so I suggest finding out a bit more from the gliding club and giving him a ring 01296-485334. I will give Chas Gary's number too

Peter

I've sent the caterers (who are good friends) a message to see what their plans might be, I expect they don't know themselves yet.

GB

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to confirm arrangements for the BBQ, pig roast and live band at Windrushers Gliding Club, Bicester airfield on Saturday 3rd August. £10 a head, tickets in advance through the Interglide website.

The club has also kindly allowed camping on the airfield with the full-size competitors and crews at no charge.

The caterers also provide evening meals, lunch snacks and cooked breakfasts with tea/coffee etc.   

The gliding club is off Skimmingdish Lane which is basically the Bicester ring road, the hangars are fairly visible. Postcode for satnav is OX26 5HA.

The gate is usually left open during competitions, I will confirm this.

Hopefully there is a PDF attached of the airfield layout with camping areas, toilets, showers etc. It is from last year but it should not change.

I would respectfully ask that vehicle speeds are kept to walking pace in the hangar and camping areas as there are often small children pedalling around on bikes and trikes. 

Cheers

Gary

2012_Regionals_site_map.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

Do we need to reserve / notify the gliding club if we intend to bring a caravan for Interglide please?

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin, no, not at all.

The camping area will be busy but there should be plenty of room.

Some campers have noisy petrol generators, might be worth picking your spot carefully! They don't run them all night, just in the evenings.

Nearest toilet to the camping area is in the old control tower, there might be more portable ones there for the comp.

I will pop in to the gliding club during the week while the comp is on and have a scout around the facilities.

Cheers

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I should add a link to the gliding club's airfield location page.

Nearer the time (and it's not so long now!) they will generate more web pages for their competition which will also have site maps for camping etc similar to the PDF file I posted earlier. I'll keep an eye on their website.

Cheers

GB 

• 2 weeks later...

The gliding club have produced a PDF of competition rules, the domestic arrangements are on Page 13, a site map is linked there.

They say the main gate will be locked from 22:00, just press a button on the centre of the gate to exit. The code of C1013 to get in seems like a mistake to me, it is currently just 246 (simple for glider pilots!!).

Cheers

Gary