BMFA F3F League Contest 1

Martin_N

Wow, well done the sub 30 guys! It's been ages since a good day on the wrecker, a spectacular slope.

unfortunately I had made other plans as I didn't intend going to whitesheet. Great determination to get the comp on though, well done.

Sub 30s, well done guys. Any videos?

I think Martin Drewett was using his GoPro, but not sure what was recorded

Simon

Yep, just putting some GO PRO footage together now, quality is crap due to having to zoom in on editing software therefore losing definition, but the content....  $%£T me , is amazing.

will be on later tonight or first thing tomorrow

What a day. Got home knakered but happy. Great day guys and considering the conditions not much carnage :)

Will be interesting to see the results. Think Mark R's consistency might have pipped Martin to the win, however I have been wrong in the past.

It's kind of telling when you fly 4 out of 7 rounds sub-30 and still don't win the comp :/

I've convinced myself that this weekend was only a warm up for next weekend :)))))))))

• Like 1

paul garnett

phew what a day!! not sure where I finished, but did get a new pb..29.24, also did a 34 with a cut....was really on it as well, oh well what could have been..got to say that Mark R was reaallllllyyyy on it today, every round under 30s, now that is just epic, Martins 26,.84, stunning, truly stunning, shame we dont get to fly the wrecker more often, although trying to launch models in the brutal rota was very tough, i`m fooooooked.

Just to give an idea on conditions, I saw first leg times of 1.6 seconds - that's over 140mph for that first leg (although it is a straight run).   It takes a lot of skill and expert judgement to get the first turn spot on at that speed, but Mark and Martin were right on it today.  Was a pleasure to watch the standard that has now been reached in the UK - No doubt Rügen played an important role in advancing our skills.

Simon

Wow, what a 'Cracking Day' that was  :o  B) . Absolutely stonking day. I've only ever flown the Wrecker once before & it was fairly light on that particular day. My Skorp was at full ballast for the first time & loved it. Think i got myself 3 new sub 40 PB's today with the best being a 36 something or other. looking forward to seeing the results.

Witnessed some absolutely awesome flying today, congrats to all who set PB's & the UK record :thumbsup: .

Lookin forward to the next BNFA comp.

Stu.

A quick video of the ''epic '' day that was Round 1 of the BMFA league. Video quality isn't great but the flying is stunning . Got a few pictures that will make there way onto www.slopejunkies.blogspot.co.uk over the next couple of days

Enjoy....

http://youtu.be/IZ56gWXiU6I

Martin

I have put a report and resuls on the CD's page but also ind below.

Whitesheet BMFA F3F League 1 (Wales)

The start of the new season got off to a bang and what a BANG, I don’t think there has ever been anything quite like it in the UK before. Earlier in the week it looked like it would have to be cancelled due to issues at the scheduled location.  Unfortunately Whitesheet is unable to provide all wind directions, therefore a decision was made to relocate to Wales after consulting with all the registered pilots and reopening registration should anyone else wish to participate.  Andrzej Tabero kindly confirmed we were able take advantage of the slopes in Wales as they provide all directions. The direction we needed was ENE and this put us on what is regarded as UK’s best slope, the Wrecker, coupled with a 20 – 23 ms wind speed and you have the right ingredients for a great competition.  It was overshadowed by the potential of hill fog, but thankfully the weather gods were on our side and we didn’t have one stoppage due to weather all day.

Round 1 got on the way and after a few weeks before when Mark Abotts went sub thirty with his Caldera flying a 28.75 it wasn’t expected that we would see a time like this again anytime soon.  How wrong we were, Joel West stepped up round one and posted a 29.46 a few pilots later and Martin Newnham went sub 30 with a 29.61.  This wasn’t the finish of the round and Mark Redsell keen to get going, not only went sub 30 but broke the British record again flying a 28.73. The round contained many low to medium 30 + times.

Round 2 the same 3 pilots went sub 30 again Mark getting close to his new British record. Joining Mark, Martin and Joel was Paul Garnett with his first sub 30 and new PB flying a 29.24. Tony Livingstone having only attended a few winter league events made yet another improvement on his PB going from a 37.37 down to a 34.94.  Ian Falconer only started flying last year and has also only attended a couple of competitions to find out what it’s all about, was getting times in the mid forties, which may not seem fast to some but it you know the Wrecker it’s not for the faint hearted especially in 20 – 23ms wind.

Round 3 see Joel West just slip into the low 30’s but Martin Newnham and Mark Redsell still were trading blows.  Martin Newnham broke the UK record with a 26.84, but Mark wasn’t going to give anything away with a 29.97. Richard Bago was also getting closer to going sub 30 but not yet.

Round 4 Joel West was back with a sub 30 time, but not quite fast enough and Martin Newnham just took the round with 29.11.  Mark Redsell again was not too far behind and still less than 30 seconds with a 29.71.

Round 5 and Richard Bago finally got what he was looking for, posting a new PB 29.44 and his first sub30, again Mark Redsell was still there taking the round with 28.79.  Martin Drewett got a new PB and first sub 40 time with a 37.98 and improved on this again in the next round, posting a 34.20.

Round 6 and Stuart Wallace who is relatively new to F3F competitions was already having a good day and up to this point his slowest time had been 40 seconds posted a 35.80 and I think a PB, his remaining round was over 40 seconds but 5 sub forties from 7 rounds is great flying by any standards.  Joel West got his final sub 30 of the day to take round 6, with Richard Bago in second and Mark Abotts in third.

The 7th and final round and Mark Redsell posted his 6 sub 30 of the day to take the last round, followed by Joel in second and Mark Abotts in third.

To summarise, all of the above equalled an epic day in South Wales for everyone, regardless of whether you went sub 30, sub 40 or improved slightly on previous times.  The conditions provided some of the best conditions I have personally ever flown in and I am sure others would echo this view.

I would like to thank everyone who helped out on the day but special mention must go to Simon Thornton getting the course up and CDing with me.  Richard Bago, our buzzer supreme and everyone that spent time out on the buzzers.  Stuart Wallace for taking on the task of debt collecting (entry fees). Finally Joel West, Mark Abotts, Paul Garnett who must have a right arm like popeye’s as they did most of the launches for everyone all day.

To the results:

1st Mark Redsell (Freestyler 4 )

2nd Martin Newnham (Freestyler 4)

3rd Joel West (Freestyler 4)

Fastest time of the Day Martin Newnham 26.84

Full Results below:

1 Mark Redsell                  5928.66                 1000.00

2 Martin Newnham            5866.32                 989.48

3 Joel West                       5784.75                 975.72

4 Rich Bago                      5652.05                 953.34

5 Paul Garnett                   5497.41                 927.26

6 Mark Abotts                    5304.84                 894.77

7 Simon Thornton             5281.98                 890.92

8 Mike Evans                     5202.24                 877.47

9 Keith Wood                     4800.16                 809.65

10 Frank Hulton                 4741.58                 799.77

11 Tony Livingston            4588.84                 774.00

12 Mark Treble                  4549.52                 767.37

13 Stuart Wallace              4535.37                 764.99

14 Martin Drewett               4294.41                 724.34

15 Mike Shellim                  4280.46                 721.99

16 Tom Macpherson          4205.83                 709.40

17 Graeme Mahoney          2741.89                 462.48

18 Ian Mason                      2624.26                 442.63

19 Ian Falconer                  1759.16                 296.72

20 Mick Walsh                    1422.15                 239.87

21 John Treble                   598.04                   100.87

• Like 1

Stefan Bertschi

What a shame that I missed this one.

Congratulation to all the new PB's and especially to all the new Club Sub 30 members and to Martin for his new British record.

Cheers

Stefan

Great report Martin :thumbsup:

I'd like to give my personal thanks to all who organised & made the day happen, all those who helped out throughout the day especially the guys launching in such awesome conditions :thumbsup:

Stu.

Well done, everybody. Personally: I came, I flew and I bottled out. But it was a great show.

Pity about Mark T.'s Needle 100, though.

Well done, everybody. Personally: I came, I flew and I bottled out. But it was a great show.

Pity about Mark T.'s Needle 100, though.

I heard mark thrashed his Needle John    radio failure ..?

Congratulations Mark, you really have been very consistant the last couple of months and deserve the win!

Tough at the top only 2.5% difference between the top three!

FS4 very dominant as usual, but I'm sure its all in the thumbs ;)

What turn style was favourite, EM, reversal or bank and yank?

Tom :)

paul garnett

Tom, yes was some excellent thumb work going on, I really must concentrate more, cuts are costly!.

Mark, Martin, myself and Simon where EM, Joel, Richard and Abbo where reversal..

Mark T N100 met its fate at the bottom of the Wrecker after completing its run, Mark siad it just went off, not sure why, doubt we will every know, as i have personal expeirience of my N100 going in vertical on the back of the wrecker!! sniff...

• Like 1