BMFA F3F League Contest 1

Martin_N

isoaritfirst

You have to feel it for Mark Abbotts British record holder for a couple of weeks only despite setting a Stunning record time.

But what about Mark Redsell, British record holder with an even better time and no time to enjoy it.

Real shame, that he didn't get even his 15minutes of fame.

Those that know however, do know that 6 sub 30 in one comp is a simply stunning achievement.

I heard mark thrashed his Needle John    radio failure ..?

The bits are so tiny that it would take several years of analysis to establish exactly what went wrong. Whatever it was was very sudden. Mark had just finished his run, and Needle plummetted about 150ft vertically into a pile of rocks. Mark says as far as he could tell there was no response to any kind of control, but he didn't have a lot of time to check. My best guess is battery failure, but I don't think we will ever know for sure.

The fin is still in one piece....and as Mark remarked as he picked the bits up: 'they've got two of these in stock at T9'.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well done Mark with the win.  :thumbsup:

Congrats to Martin on the record and to all the other sub 30 guys. Enjoyed the video.

I heard mark thrashed his Needle John    radio failure ..?

It was certainly an all round failure, so could be any of battery, switch or receiver.

My previous experiences of battery failure have been preceded by a noticeable sluggish response - never has it just gone dead so instantaneously. I was wondering if it might be characteristic of a magnetic switch that it went off so suddenly?

I do find it hard to believe that it could be battery failure after only 4 flights!

It was certainly an all round failure, so could be any of battery, switch or receiver.

My previous experiences of battery failure have been preceded by a noticeable sluggish response - never has it just gone dead so instantaneously. I was wondering if it might be characteristic of a magnetic switch that it went off so suddenly?

I do find it hard to believe that it could be battery failure after only 4 flights!

Sorry to hear of the demise of the N100.  Its a great model.  Which Mag switch do you use?  I have read its not possible to turn itself off?

Sorry to hear of the demise of the N100.  Its a great model.  Which Mag switch do you use?  I have read its not possible to turn itself off?

It was a Zepsus one which when plugged in doesn't always come on - like the british manufactured ones that T9 sell!

So it would only take a brief connection failure between it and the battery for the whole thing to switch off.

Does seem strange as your running pretty much a standard F3x setup ....maybe alot of vibration/shocks from the day in general shook somthing loose .................bad luck  whatever

Sadly i didn't manage to take my usual mass of photos to record the day. By the time i'd walked to the top of the wrecker to land & get back to the pits i was too knackered :blush: .

Stu.

It was a Zepsus one which when plugged in doesn't always come on - like the british manufactured ones that T9 sell!

So it would only take a brief connection failure between it and the battery for the whole thing to switch off.

Hi Mark, I've found that the Zepsus switch does drain the battery so I always disconnect it after I've finished flying for the day and never connect it after charging until I am ready for my first flight of the day, this stops discharging the battery during transit / storage, obviously I leave it connected during the day's flying.

Pete Burgess

Mark T, really sorry to hear of the N100's demise, feel for you mate :(

Stu W, well done 35.8 WOW! real jealous! :)  

And well done to all who cracked 30 secs, I have given myself a big ticking off for not attending!

I didn't see Marks incident, only the retrieved model. Always sad to see such damage & truly feel for Mark :( .

On a plus side Mark had his Toxic going really nicely in such big air B)

Stu.

Mark T, really sorry to hear of the N100's demise, feel for you mate :(

Stu W, well done 35.8 WOW! real jealous! :)  

And well done to all who cracked 30 secs, I have given myself a big ticking off for not attending!

Thanks Pete :thumbsup: i'm afraid you missed a 'Cracking' day.  Cant blame you for not travelling all that way though as both XC and the Nanty moel weather staion forecasts were'nt looking too good .

Stu.

Does seem strange as your running pretty much a standard F3x setup ....maybe alot of vibration/shocks from the day in general shook somthing loose .................bad luck  whatever

Yes - that is one possibility - the landing previous to the incident was sufficiently hard enough to disengage the wings and justify some new tape. But it all seemed to be working ok, and worked fine for the duration of my climb out and run. It was only as I started my cross-country trek to the landing area that it went down - just a few seconds after crossing the finish line.

Hi Mark, I've found that the Zepsus switch does drain the battery so I always disconnect it after I've finished flying for the day and never connect it after charging until I am ready for my first flight of the day, this stops discharging the battery during transit / storage, obviously I leave it connected during the day's flying.

Well, I normally just plug it in after charging so that is also a possibility. Not been an issue before, but in the interests of safety, that is probably a good idea to follow in the future.

Guys,

For what it's worth, I have also had problems with a Zepsus switch draining a battery. I almost lost a Wasabi as a result. It was only my Multiplex M-Link tx sounding off the low battery alarm that saved it! I now always disconnect the switch when not in use.

Reggles

Pete Burgess

Thanks Pete :thumbsup: i'm afraid you missed a 'Cracking' day.  Cant blame you for not travelling all that way though as both XC and the Nanty moel weather staion forecasts were'nt looking too good .

Stu.

Sadly, no one that I normally travel with was going and I felt that it was too far/expensive for not a reasonable forecast. Oh well, never mind :unsure:

isoaritfirst

Just to give an idea on conditions, I saw first leg times of 1.6 seconds - that's over 140mph for that first leg (although it is a straight run).   It takes a lot of skill and expert judgement to get the first turn spot on at that speed, but Mark and Martin were right on it today.  Was a pleasure to watch the standard that has now been reached in the UK - No doubt Rügen played an important role in advancing our skills.

Simon

real shame we switched to AJ's timing gear - we would have had a lot of interesting data from david loomes gear

paul garnett

Re the switch, I use one of them, I leave it plugged in all the time, sometimes for weeks between flights, not seen any massive drain on my battery, (1600mah 4 cell) I thought the switch was designed to fail in the open position, so can`t turn off, it does sound like a battery failure, or even a cell going down, this would be enough to drop the signal on a 2.4Ghz set, i was having some problems with my N124 prototype locking out, turned out to be a drooped cell, only did it when heading away from me though..

Its one of them that we will never identify..

Marks Toxic looked good, but needed more ballast in, i launched it a few times! Had it been mine,( I have the first UK one) it would have been a lead sled, the Toxic, like the N124 and Freestyler 4 can cope with muchooo ballast, the Toxic would have been well up there, it is one of the best models I have flown, superb tracking, easy handling, and able to bang a turn.

again, wow what a superb day..

A couple of pictures of the day taken on the iPhone at www.slopejunkies.blogspot.co.uk   Couldn't take too many as everytime I took my fingers out of my gloves I got FROSTBITE.

Martin

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Congratulations Mark on winning the comp - 6x sub-30s is an amazing feat

Congratulations Martin on the amazing new UK record - and well done for tenacity in making the comp happen, despite the change of venue & dodgy forecast of clagged in & snowed up

(shame about the 101m course - could have been a WR !)

Phil.