flyingwings.co.uk Hawk

Tilman Baumann

Tilman Baumann

Yea that's going to be the question now.

I still love the looks of the hawk. I'm very tempted to buy a new one.

I would make an effort to build it lighter this time.

But you are right. I have flown a wild thing before and I liked it. Safe bet.

Anyone here who had flown the Hawk?

What kind of bird is it?

Rob Thomson

Go and get yourself a Wild Thing!!!!

You want to speak to Alan Head on 01273 494140.  He can take card - but not online.

Cost is round £60 for everything you need to complete.  

Then.. build it exactly to the instructions.  Do not deviate.  

Then... it will fly gr8  :drool:

Tilman Baumann

Sensible choice.

Building a plane that never flies hurts my heart though. Feels like I'm breaking some kind of universal law. That's just not how planes are supposed to die. I feel like I should give it another chance.

(flyingwings might sell me a new wing...)

But it was probably the wrong choice for me. But I hate to say that without trying. And I plan to become a better pilot anyway.

Rob, I would deviate from the plans. I'm not going back to strapping tape. :)

I can show you the charred remains of the Hawk tomorrow and you will know why. It's so smooth and stiff.

I will also experiment with painting under the laminate film on some scrap cuts of foam. That could be the best option. I promise no cutting corners with kitchen appliances this time.

PS: I'll not be building the next two weeks. Got family over for visit. Enough time to think things over.

And a new paycheck will have come in, easing the pain. :D

My family will want to see the country side, and they have a car. Will see if I can convince them to stand on a hill in freezing winds to watch me having fun.

isoaritfirst

Yep have to agree with Rob. Building it heavy will spoil it.

Use strapping tape and coloured tape, much better for a combat model.

If you were building a 60" racer then Lam film would be the right choice, but not for a combat model, small repairs will be a pain. 

Paint will add lots of weight. 

You can profilm over laminating film  for a super finish - but not advisable for a WT. 

Add 6 layers of x weave tape and hot glue of silicon around the wing to fuselage joint. Biase layer qty towards the front. dont x-weave the elevons leave them naked.Leave the tail fin naked.

Yea that's going to be the question now.

I still love the looks of the hawk. I'm very tempted to buy a new one.

I would make an effort to build it lighter this time.

But you are right. I have flown a wild thing before and I liked it. Safe bet.

Anyone here who had flown the Hawk?

What kind of bird is it?

My mate Phil loves his Hawk, but its built light and he flies it in very low wind. You right about the flutter, its mental on his but only when he is flying it outside what its designed for.

As everyone else said go for a WT mines nine now and yesterday up St Agnes a lad in his twenties came along asking about learning to fly. I got the buddy lead out and within an hour he had done his first landing!(I hate the playstation generation :angry:  :D )

Tilman Baumann

Ok, I'm convinced. :)

Paint will add lots of weight. 

You can profilm over laminating film  for a super finish - but not advisable for a WT. 

Add 6 layers of x weave tape and hot glue of silicon around the wing to fuselage joint. Biase layer qty towards the front. dont x-weave the elevons leave them naked.Leave the tail fin naked.

Six layers of tape sound heavier than laminate. I suppose I misunderstood something?

What is profilm?

As everyone else said go for a WT mines nine now and yesterday up St Agnes a lad in his twenties came along asking about learning to fly. I got the buddy lead out and within an hour he had done his first landing!

Kind of how I got introduced to the whole sloping thing. Rob's Wild Thing made me smile a lot.

I was expecting that from my new wing as well. Even if I would get the Hawk under control, it never looked like the kind of model I could give to a novice to learn.

Rob Thomson

Profilm, Oracover solar film...

All the same thing (more or less)

But the paxkaging tape comes with the kit... And is easy to repair.

:-P

isoaritfirst

Just put 6 layers in small pieces around the front of the fuselage to wing joint. 

Like adding papermache..

Single layer on wings. and anywhere behind the CG

• 2 weeks later...
Rob Thomson

Lol. I saw the model.

I think the real issue was that given sufficient heat, the laminate film WILL shrink. It kinda just contracted in one spot, twisting the whole wing with it.

On the plus side. Tilman has now built himself a wild thing - and followed the instructions to the letter.

Years ago when. I first started building models, I ended up with countless disasters. One reason. I was impatient and rushed.

So a good lesson learned, and at least not turned off the hobby.

Just on the topic of laminating film and Wildthings. I have just laminated an old Wildthing just to try this method for the first time. The film went on ok with a smooth finish, however when i went to add the elevons back on they appeared to be approx 3mm too long. I can only assume that the film does not shrink yet the foam underneath did about 6mm across the full wing span ??

Tilman Baumann

I could not cover my wildthing with laminate. I did not have enough left.<br />I noticed no shrinkage with it at the Hawk. I suppose that should have produced warpage but it just started straight and tension free.