Sign in to follow this  
Bernie Jones

Ashurst eSoaring/F5J Fun Weekend 23/24th March 2013 [Changed to 6-7 April]

Bernie Jones
ASHURST West Sussex – ELECTRIC POWERED GLIDER FUN FLY WEEKEND – Saturday 23rd and/or Sunday 24th March 2013

Please note Dates changed to 6-7th April, see the post 4 below

Please forward to anyone you know who you think may be interested.

To kick start what we hope will be another successful e-Soaring/F5J year at Ashurst, we are going have a simple but fun weekend.

FUN FLY WEEKEND WITH ESOARING, F5J, MINI COMPS AND BMFA ELECTRIC SILENT FLIGHT ACHIEVEMENT TESTS

The event is open to spectators and anyone flying ANY electric HAND LAUNCH powered glider up to 4m wingspan. BMFA insurance is required, (please bring your card) but no other qualifications are required provide you can demonstrate safe flying practice.

Much of the day will be taken up with normal “off the peg” sport flying from designated landing and take off spots, but we will also be running several very simple FUN events during the weekend. There will be no obligation whatsoever to take part in any of these “mini comps”. However, if you are not flying, you MAY (read that as will) get called in to help with some timekeeping, counting and measuring!

Apart from having fun, one of our aims for the day is to attract new interest in e-Soaring/F5J and show just how easy it is to get involved. To this end, there will be plenty of “experts” around to help with models, give advice and answer any questions or queries about electric gliders.

We will be able to help you with updating your RC Electronics and AerobTec Altis v3 height limiters, but please remember it is the pilots responsibility to be able to provide a reader if the height needs to be checked while flying in comps.

Fancy having a go but don't have a e-Glider, we will have a Multiplex buddy box system flying a Multiplex Easy Glider Pro which you can have a go on if you want, please see Bernie to book a slot.

The Electric events at Ashurst this year will be eSoaring and F5J so come and see what it's all about learn with us.

If you have ever wondered what thermal soaring is all about, this will be the weekend to find out. If you are already an experienced e-Soaring - F5J competitor, then please come along and help to spread the word - and have some fun at the same time. (A couple of the mini comps will be especially designed for you and will be tough!)

For anyone interested, loan altimeter switches will be available on the day ( with thanks to eSoaring gadgets) and help offered to anyone who wants to try their hand at height limited flying, without the perceived “pressure” of competition.

We will also be having a look at the BMFA Silent flight Electric Achievement program, demos discussions and tests will be available to those who are interested Please speak to Bernie or Paul for more info.

So what sort of fun “mini comps” are we running? Sorry, but you’ll have to come along and see for yourself! There will be prizes (mostly tins of something cold and wet) awarded at the end of the day for all sorts of things – not just for doing well in a “mini comp” ! There is no pre-entry, just turn up and enter on the day!

Something to sell? 
You are welcome to bring anything along you want to sell. Nothing formal – it will be just like a car boot sale for Electric Glider Flyers.

If you would like to come along, it would be useful for us to know, so that we can cater for expected numbers. Simply reply to this thread with you name, and if flying, your preferred frequency (if on 35 preferred plus an option if possible). If you need any more information, ask on this forum or email me - (Bernie@esoarer.co.uk) - and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. 

If you intend flying, watch this space for costs, but remember it still costs nothing to come along as a spectator.

Official start time each day will be 10.00 am, but you can book in anytime after 9.00am - Flying till to dark or to cold - DON'T forget your BMFA membership card or insurance document. As you all are aware the ground has been very wet, please be careful on the fields and only drive where directed.

Location map is at: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps then go to 50.921798,-0.322187 Nearest Post Code is BN44 3AL- this takes you to the cross roads of Horsham Road and Spithandle Lane. Immediately opposite Spithandle Lane to the east is the track to Upper Northover Farm. Drive down this track and look out for the signs direction you to the flying field in use on the day.

If you have ANY questions or need any further information please ask.
E-mail: bernie@esoarer.co.uk or Mobile: 07740 181861

Bernie Jones - CD - All Ashurst BMFA e-Soaring League Events 2013.(unless of course you would like to do some)

Here we go again 2013 here we come, the weather has been booked so come on down and have some fun

Bernie 

Bernie Jones

Hi Boys and Girls

Just had it confirmed that the field costs are going to be covered by the Host Club 'Sussex Radio Flying Club' so no entry fee required for the weekend :D  but the may be the odd comp run that will cost you a £1 to enter  B)

So thanks to the SRFC and see you o the 23rd

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Jones

Gentlemen

I have just had reports from the farm that the fields are too wet for us to use, so at this time I am afraid I will have to cancel this weekend, I will be having a look myself tomorrow, but did manage to get Colin over there earlier today and he agrees with the farmer, there is no way we can get vehicles on the field and even just walking around you are fighting against the mud.

If it stays dry for the rest of this week then we might be lucky but if the weather forecast is correct - thats wishful thinking.

I will make a few inquiries to see if there are any other local sites but at this short notice I'm not hopeful, my apologies to anyone who has made plans to stay over, I am truly sorry but of all the things I can control - my good lady and the weather are not on that list and maybe the dog.

If there is any change I will post here but for now folks we are not going ahead sorry

Bernie

Bernie Jones

Folk's there is light at the end of the tunnel

We are going to move the fun weekend as such to the 6th and 7th April, there will be a slight change to the normal format, as on the second day there will be an eSoaring comp as per the published dates, but instead of a dedicated F5J day on the Saturday we are just going to have the Wakeup/funday so get the dates in you diary and if not before I will see you on the 6th April weather permitting

I will leave this post running as normal, but will do a new one for the 6/7th April, with a bit more formal entry list for the Sunday

Fly High and safe and keep your undercarriage dry

Bernie

Austin

Ill update the calendar Bernie and highlight this in your first post. Might be useful to link this to your new post when you make it.

Bernie Jones

thanks for sorting that Austin, now sort the weather B)

can you also take the F5J date off the calendar on the 6th April cheers  :drool:

Bernie

Austin

Will do. Cant sort the weather though. Looks like a repeat of last year  :unsure:

EssexBOF

If this weather keeps up it is going to throw the contest calendar all over the place, as reserve dates are not readily available.

GP

Sorry to sound thick but does anyone know if this is on?  I gather newer info might be on another thread but for some reason I haven't been able to find that ... must be getting old ...

Austin

Sorry to sound thick but does anyone know if this is on?  I gather newer info might be on another thread but for some reason I haven't been able to find that ... must be getting old ...

Contact info is in the first post so it may be worth asking Bernie via email. If you do hear something that has not been announced here please let us know.

Bernie Jones

sorry all

been a bit tied up with my mother in hospital, thanks to Cliff the two links above are good for info, but basically Saturday any time for a fly with some company may run a couple of fun competitions, Sunday eSoaring competition, please register on the link provided above. Start time 09.45 for pilots briefing, booking on anytime after 08.30, competition starts at 10am 

Cheers for now hope to see you over the weekend

Bernie

Bernie Jones

just a quick follow up to the above, we were very lucky with the weather, and the field was dry and not one car stuck all weekend, the Saturday was not that well attended, but those that were there had a good time.  I broke a model as you do, first one for a long time, repairable just a pain, the Sunday was our first eSoaring comp 16 entered and 7 rounds were flown with a mixture of 2m and open models, unusually for us the 2m (9) out numbered the open (7) apparently saving models for F5J later in the year :rolleyes:

considering we had easterly round to south sea breeze winds, it was not as cold as it has been, when the sun was out quite warm in fact, so hopefully it's a start that weather wise will carry on.

On the Saturday and during Lunch Martin showed of his multi rotor copter with camera mounted, fantastic to watch just like flying on a computer screen, tell it to stay 3 meters from the ground and fly it around, simulate a radio link failure and it thinks about it, goes up to a safe height then fly's itself back to the point it took off - lands very gently and shuts down the motors :) soon we won't be needed any more as long as the models can get to the flying site they can fly themselves :D

Cheers

Bernie