Umx Glider - Ask 21

Rob Thomson

Rob Thomson

Has anyone flown one of these?

I see kings Lynn models are selling them for about 60, so certainly cheap.

Are they any good?. Or should I save the money and put it towards my 3 meter electric soarer?

Rob Thomson

Yup. Seen that thread.

Was hoping for some "local" experience of it.

I think I will probably save my money.

• 1 month later...

Flies really well on both the slope and flat when the conditions are just right for it.

So that's about once every two years then, in the UK.

Ro.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I know this thread is well dead but..... I've had 2 tiny k21s.... loved them both, they flew so well and looked amazing. just a shame they discontinued them  with no replacement. If anyone comes across one for sale, hit me up or pick one up yourself you won't regret it

umx k21.jpg

SilentPilot

I used to high start mine! Went up great but it's a little too fast coming down again :(

Slope soaring is what it does best! 

Never aerotowed it with my Carbon Cub. I'd like to but I think a bit of practise with the Tundra/Ka8 combo first wouldn't go amiss!!!

Tony

• Like 1

John Minchell

I have one and its a hoot, even under slope conditions which you would think are too windy.

Have aero towed, bungee'd and hand launched it and its good at all of them.

Even came second in the Long Mynd Scale event one year, when there was very little wind.  Some wag asked if it would fly inverted, so I tried it and caught a thermal and it went up inverted - great fun.

John M

• Haha 1

I remember that John M!

I would have liked to buy one and thought about buying all the spare parts to put one together but the cost was - quite a bit.

Perhaps we should all email websales@horizonhobby.com and ask them to produce another batch :)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplanes-14501--1/bind-n-fly/umx-ask-21-bnf-with-as3x-technology-eflu1280

• Like 1

SoggyBoots
On 29/04/2019 at 13:02, tonym said:

I remember that John M!

I would have liked to buy one and thought about buying all the spare parts to put one together but the cost was - quite a bit.

Perhaps we should all email websales@horizonhobby.com and ask them to produce another batch :)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplanes-14501--1/bind-n-fly/umx-ask-21-bnf-with-as3x-technology-eflu1280

I emailed them about a year ago asking if they would consider reviving them and got no response. I'd love to know if the moulds are still around. maybe a cheap Chinese manufacturer like XK or WLtoys could remake them. I know they bought all the old Nineeagles stuff. 

SilentPilot

I've still got a spare one in the box!

My old one looks horrid now. All bashed up but it still flies great :)

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
SoggyBoots
On 03/05/2019 at 16:49, SilentPilot said:

I've still got a spare one in the box!

My old one looks horrid now. All bashed up but it still flies great :)

Awh I'm well jealous. keep it for a few more years you might sell it on cash in the attic or the likes 😋 

• Haha 1