GP

South East Slopers

GP

There doesn't seem to be an active south east thread on this forum but just in case anyone wants to find out about spots to fly in the south east there is this website: www.slopehunter.co.uk

Rob Thomson

Hey Gary...

There is a thread of some forms (I started it) but to be honest... Not much happens on it!

Guess most of the south east flyers are using the rcmf thread.

I tend to always cross post whenever I go flying :-)

Rob

guy mckenzie

There was a contemplate your navel session last week on RCMF. It is alleged their membership has droped to 30% of what it was before the glider guiders went elsewhere.....Some suggested it was not really a glider forum any more....

Pete Burgess

There was a contemplate your navel session last week on RCMF. It is alleged their membership has droped to 30% of what it was before the glider guiders went elsewhere.....Some suggested it was not really a glider forum any more....

Which RDMF thread?

simon_t

I doubt the 30% figure. RCMF has about13,000 members. Glider folks number a few hundred. Hard to see 70% of folks dropping off RCMF due to gliding. When a lot of folks moved here from RCMF, it was 100-150 tops

Simon

stewartg

Where's good to fly today NW, Devils Dyke too busy with paragliders, Ivinghoe the tree.

Anywhere else in the South East?

stewartg

Looks like a lovely day. Anyone know a GOOD south easterly facing slope within reach of London?

Thanks Stewart

pete beadle

Hi Stewart

Ivinghoe

You'd be flying the back of the hill 180 degrees to the NW "point" with a big landing area and some bushes to stand behind if the breeze freshens, and no sun in your eyes........and warm, and smooth.......

It'll be the same Sunday, when I'm going, too......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Rob Thomson

Colley Hill is pretty close - and epic lift!

Maybe check slopehunter.co.uk

pete beadle

Hi all

It was "Hey ho, hey ho t'was to Ivinghoe I go" yesterday

Total perfection!

Winds North-westerly  veering North, and then back again 10-12 MPH, LOADS and loads of thermal, bright sunshine and light shade alternately and interspersed with the occasional bout of sink, once or twice an hour, when no-one landed out or got into difficulties - just right!:thumbsup:

I took the right 'plane for the day for once, my dear old HKM "Sharon Pro", 3.7 metres of beautifully crafted soaring loveliness and flew and flew and flew:D

Not unusually, there were only three (possibly four) other ISA members present there all day, so at least 150 missed out the best day of the year so far. Where's the smug face on the emoticons?...........nah, nah, ne nah, nah!..........:P:P:P

Now out to do a bit of gardening to calm down - oh, and to apply some more Aftersun.......cuppa first though:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi all

Can't wait to tell you - I did it again - at Ivinghoe that is!

Wind direction mostly Westerly, varying in strength/gust between 8 - 15 MPH, lift coming and going all day, blazing sunshine interspersed with light cloud and THOUSANDS of walkers streaming and chattering by -more than on the average Bank Holiday I'd say

Got to the hill at 10.30 AM, brought three planes to choose from in the top car park, checked out how accurate Ms Kirkwood's forecast was - saw it and liked it, so chose the trusty Jaro Muller Esprit F3J and kitted up, including an umbrella to use as a sunshade, and a BIG bottle of orange squash to keep hydrated

Speaking to a walker in the car park I was told I'd just missed the visit of two coachloads of screaming schoolchildren less than half an hour ago - result! - better and better, and walked up the hill with dozens of cyclists streaming past me on the road, silent, sweating, and fiercely focussed on some sort of cycling time trial

The highlights? - over an hour with NO-ONE else on the slope, practising my ring-rusty "bumbling" skills, with a bit of light aerobatics thrown in to please the stream of walkers going by, fellow flyers arriving from around 1.30 PM onwards, more bumbling, more sun, more lift, blue sky above, the green, green grass of home below - perfick!

Packed it in at 4 PM, as before stopped, as before, for a pint of "London Pride" at the Farmer's Boy in celebration on the way home, and drove southbound down the M1 motorway in the usual 80 MPH convoy, watching the three and four lane jam on the northbound side all the way - result 2!

Getting home I realised I was plumb tuckered out, aching but smiling, and decided to unload the car in the morning rather than lose the glow - fantastic day! and twice in a week! - marvellous!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Forgot my camera yesterday but here's one I took earlier.JPG

• Like 1

oipigface
2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

ring-rust "bumbling" skills

Eh?

Sounds like the perfect weekend. We had an excellent day at Levisham on Saturday, but the turnout was a bit low at eight pilots, despite the long-forecast conditions.

pete beadle

Hi OPG

Sorry, perhaps I should have said, I have got "ring rusty" by not being able to practice my "bumbling" stills in the totally unsuitable weather so far in 2016

I's a typo - I'll correct it later today when I've summoned up enough energy to be able to work in this heat.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi All

Please see my two previous "I did it again" posts - but - I did it again this afternoon!

Southerlies 8 - 10. gusting 15MPH, mostly sunshine but with occasional fluffy white clouds, LOADS of lift

Got there just after 11.30 AM, left just before 3PM, al least 2.5 hours of flying in total, mostly sitting in my folding chair, sometimes chatting with walkers

Not one single other flyer,no ISA members at all(!), sky totally empty except for my Esprit, grinning like a lunatic most of the time, mega sunburn/windburn

EPIC!.......watch this space for the next time.......:D:D:yes::D:D

Pete

BARCS 1702 

• Like 2

Brett82

Hi Pete

You weren't joking when you told me you have been getting loads of really good flying in. Sounds like a brilliant couple of days mate. 

See you Saturday.

Brett

pete beadle

Hi all

Just in case no-one wants to read another "there I was with the whole of Ivinghoe to myself today"....

Weather window opening up with fresh Westerlies/WSWesterlies commencing noon today predicted.....

You have been warned,,,,

Pete

BARCS1702

Rennell

nice image "Pete".

pete beadle

Hi all

15Kts gusting 28-29 DUE WEST - all day, predicted at Ivinghoe - mist in the AM - sunshine all afternoon........:yes:

I'll be there with my Pike Precision E with its biggest LiPo in for ballast.........

Any takers?

Don't say I didn't tell you all - hint, perfect for those who like to practice their F3F there......:whistle:

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 2

Brett82

Would love to Pete, but I am at the in-laws all day.... 

Worst excuse ever :huh:

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi all

Didn't see any flyers on the Beacon Monday........one ISA member in the car park on his way up (to fly the Lynx I sold him 3 years ago and which is now his GoTo mouldie)......that's it......did anyone go?

Oddly, probably a good thing actually, if not, you see the trouble was, when I arrived at the Beacon car park it was JAMMED SOLID with "once a year" (dog) walkers and their families.....Unbelievably there was not one single space in the car park(!) which I drove round twice..... so I waited until one car left and grabbed his space, then went for a short walk to the front of the car park to see how good, or bad, the flying conditions were......

The sight I was presented with changed my mind about flying there that day, why?.......There were literally hundreds of people formed into columns of walkers, and their dozens of dogs, looking for all the world like a replay of Napoleon's retreat from Moscow:yes:, this time featuring kids screaming and running about, dogs barking and running about........shock horror!:frantics:........so, forget the cold and gusty wind, forget the rapidly clearing mist, there was NO WAY I was going to put up with that racket all day!.........So, muttering Bah! Humbug! under my breath I invoked Plan B and drove round to a few of my fellow ISA members houses, checking on the phone first to make sure I'd be welcome, banished all thoughts of a fly, and changed the day into a smiley, sociable, mince pie eating pleasure......

To make up for the missed slope fly, I flew my electric Radian Mk 2 in the local flying field (farmers field actually) in dead calm conditions yesterday, had a friendly chat with two doggie walkers (they're great in small numbers) as they walked off their turkey, stuffing, sprouts, Xmas pud with double cream etc, etc......and took over an hour and a half to flatten a 1350 Lipo, including five or six climb-outs to height, and some lovely, warm "hold" bumbling about to my heart's content with only a couple of birds for company in an otherwise clear sky, until late  afternoon - perfick!:D

Merry (what's left of it) Christmas and a Happy New Year to all - here's hoping for a lift-filled, accident free fun,fun,fun 2017 for all to enjoy......:).

Pete   

BARCS1702                    

• Like 3