Frsky Taranis - the ultimate glider radio?

Rob Thomson

Rob Thomson

So...

As I am on the Dev team for opentx, and the owner of openrcforums.com, I figured a good idea for me to kick off this thread!

Frsky launch the new Taranis radio soon.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

What is great about this radio is that it runs opentx. OpenTX has been written primarily by glider nuts, so it really does everything yo may want.

As a bonus lots of interesting other features like various, voice feedback etc are avaliable. All making a really good package. All by the looks of it for around £150!

Any questions.... Feel free to ask me :-)

Rob

• Administrators

This system does look fantastic value for money. Being open source software I presume you can add modifications /hacks to the software that might be available or is that not the case. If it is how will this type of thing affect the warranty from Frsky on it?

Rob Thomson

Well... Here us the magic.

Out the box it runs opentx.

We (on openrcforums.com) have been working with frsky for some time now, porting opentx (formally open9x ) to the radio. They have ditched their original plan of providing their own firmware, and are shipping with opentx in the radio as standard.

So.. Modding the software. This is expected!

Something that I love with the os model is that everyone can get involved. As a rule, opentx releases an update every 1 to 2 months. Each release incorporates new features that end users have requested!

The result is a firmware that works very well, and exceeds the capability of pretty much anything else I have seen before.

One thing worth also noting about the Taranis. It has two rf modules.

1. Built in frsky module

2. Jr compatible module on the back.

When you setup a new model, you can choose which rf module to use. So.. As I will do.... Frsky internal, and dsm plug in.

Easy :-)

T9 have them in order - so if you want one. Get in touch with Richard!

Taranis does look a potentially interesting bit of kit.

I suspect that the prime receiving dealers may have the most up to date information though:

http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-frsky-taranis-transmitter-2.4g-receivers-telemetry-modules

Where does the 'around 150 quid' come from?   My very frequent enquiries to T9 HobbySport, clearly a well known and front-line player for FrSky distribution and sales, plus who have an enormous call on the first stock of Taranis and would most certainly know first, as yet have no solid information with regard to pricing - and they remain (quite understandably) reluctant to simply guess. They are the FrSky and Taranis UK/Euro service and support provider after all.

My big worry is that this amateur OpenTX concoction may continue to have an interface that looks so yesteryear - like bad DOS.

Ro.

It looks a very smart bit of kit.

Been using Frsky products for some time now and I personally think they have it well sorted.

Just about to contact Rich and put my order in.

Shedofdread

The following isn't meant in any way negatively and shouldn't be taken as such. It's a pure question and nothing else.

If the user can fiddle with the OS does this affect the CE approval for the system? If it does, then that would [as per my understanding] invalidate one's [bMFA] insurance.

Or do I have an incorrect understanding of matters? It wouldn't be the first time... ;)

The following isn't meant in any way negatively and shouldn't be taken as such. It's a pure question and nothing else.

If the user can fiddle with the OS does this affect the CE approval for the system? If it does, then that would [as per my understanding] invalidate one's [bMFA] insurance.

Or do I have an incorrect understanding of matters? It wouldn't be the first time... ;)

What do you think ce mark means? What it means is that the product meets all European regulations that apply to it. In the case of a radio transmitter stuff like frequency and power level.

I am pretty sure there isn't a European directive in effect banning open source software.

I think it is also something of myth about the bmfa insurance. I think you would have to knowingly fly something that doesn't meet European regulations and it would have to be the cause of the crash. I doubt your insurance is invalid if your plane carries a non ce marked part. E.g a camera

You are perfectly within your rights to fly a home made model. I am not sure how home made software would be different anyway.

• Like 1

Rob Thomson

Let me run though as many of the above questions as possible.

The following isn't meant in any way negatively and shouldn't be taken as such. It's a pure question and nothing else.

No.  CE Compliance has nothing to do with the software on your system.  It is a function of the rf stage, and the end design of the system.  If by design the system is built to have firmware updates - then no problem.

Remember too.  In order to code these systems you need a fair bit of knowledge.  So one would assume that people who do make mods to the code would get involved with the developers who do this on a daily basis!

It looks a very smart bit of kit.
Been using Frsky products for some time now and I personally think they have it well sorted.
Just about to contact Rich and put my order in.

Well done!  You will love it!

Taranis does look a potentially interesting bit of kit.

I suspect that the prime receiving dealers may have the most up to date information though:

http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-frsky-taranis-transmitter-2.4g-receivers-telemetry-modules

Where does the 'around 150 quid' come from?   My very frequent enquiries to T9 HobbySport, clearly a well known and front-line player for FrSky distribution and sales, plus who have an enormous call on the first stock of Taranis and would most certainly know first, as yet have no solid information with regard to pricing - and they remain (quite understandably) reluctant to simply guess. They are the FrSky and Taranis UK/Euro service and support provider after all.

My big worry is that this amateur OpenTX concoction may continue to have an interface that looks so yesteryear - like bad DOS.

Ro.

The price of $170 was announced by frsky last week at the Toledo show in america.   The £150 mark is what I have given as a rough guide based on the dollar price quoted,

Regarding the amateur interface.  I think you will be surprised.  OpenTX has been in development for a few years now, and has been running as a hack for the FlySky9X radio for a long time.  The interface is highly polished and VERY good.

This link will give you some good info on what to expect:

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3160

Mike Shellim has written a pretty cool article on the Taranis programming software, hopefully he will follow this up with a review of the hardware when its available

http://rc-soar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/new-frsky-taranis-spiritual-successor.html

Thanks for the link.  :-)

If anyone cares - Richard has had one of my Sky9X radios (also running opentx) on loan for a few months.   He in turn passed it on to a friend to try out.

General feedback we received was - VERY GOOD!

Mike Shellim has written a pretty cool article on the Taranis programming software, hopefully he will follow this up with a review of the hardware when its available

http://rc-soar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/new-frsky-taranis-spiritual-successor.html

Yes the controls menu in the p4000 was great. Editing inputs as well as outputs was very powerful.

In some ways I find the hitec Aurora 9 better than the p4000 because you cannot change many settings in the flight phases on the p4000. The taranis software phases remain to be seen.

Shedofdread

Thank you both for that - I stand corrected. I thought [incorrectly as it would appear] that CE applied to the whole system and not just to the radiated power and frequency transmitted on. 

Rob Thomson

Yes the controls menu in the p4000 was great. Editing inputs as well as outputs was very powerful.

In some ways I find the hitec Aurora 9 better than the p4000 because you cannot change many settings in the flight phases on the p4000. The taranis software phases remain to be seen.

Nothing yet to be seen.

Flight phases are excellent.  You can do pretty much anything you want.

Remember....  taranis is running opentx.   OpenTX came before Taranis.   :-)

Got an email from Rich at T9 earlier today - it's VERY good news...

Sent: 12 April 2013 13:32
To: Matthew Brett
Subject: RE: When can we expect UK Taranis pricing?

Hi Matt

price is £139.99 for TX, Batt, Charger, Strap, Metal case. First batch due mid May

thnx rich

:drool:

Rob Thomson

Guys...

I highly recommend you start by signing up on http://openrcforums.com

Remember.  This is where the OpenTX developers hang out, and also where a HUGE amount of knowledgeable users already reside.

OpenTX is rather different in programing semantic to what you will be used to. But in being different, it is better!

Take some time now to review these videos:

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Video_guides

They are for er9x on the th9x radio, but much of the semantics are the same.  OpenTX is a fork of er9x :-)

Get your head round the basics now - and you will be in a better position on day one.

Dont stress if on day one you dont understand everything.  Most people take 3-4 days of programming on the radio to become proficient :-)

Rob