Frsky Taranis - the ultimate glider radio?

Rob Thomson

Tilman Baumann

Migrating model memories from Version 1 to 2 should work. Did the radio mention it's doing a conversion on first boot?

I prefer to do a backup of model memories in the companion software before I do a large upgrade. That way you could theoretically do an undo.
Also, I trust the migration in the companion software a little more than the one in the radio software. Even though they are supposed to be the same. (No idea if this is reasonabl

The way OpenTX stores model memories is at first glance a little odd. Because it does not use the SD card, rather it uses the built-in ROM section of the CPU.

That has technical and historical reasons. The ROM section is memory-mapped. So RAM can be saved. But I think the biggest reason is that when OpenTX was first developed, none of the radios it ran on had SD card support.

The SD card is currently only used for a few select things. Mainly loading sound files, telemetry logging, lua scripts and backup for model files. (Long press on the model entry)

I have always thought that should perhaps be changed one day. But history is always quite persistent in technology. And ROM has better reliability than SD card when it comes down to it. :)

TL;DR Model memory is not stored on SD card. You need the companion software to read and write it. Make backups, it never went wrong for me. But when it does it sucks.

Rob Thomson
21 hours ago, Tilman Baumann said:

Migrating model memories from Version 1 to 2 should work. Did the radio mention it's doing a conversion on first boot?

I prefer to do a backup of model memories in the companion software before I do a large upgrade. That way you could theoretically do an undo.
Also, I trust the migration in the companion software a little more than the one in the radio software. Even though they are supposed to be the same. (No idea if this is reasonabl

The way OpenTX stores model memories is at first glance a little odd. Because it does not use the SD card, rather it uses the built-in ROM section of the CPU.

That has technical and historical reasons. The ROM section is memory-mapped. So RAM can be saved. But I think the biggest reason is that when OpenTX was first developed, none of the radios it ran on had SD card support.

The SD card is currently only used for a few select things. Mainly loading sound files, telemetry logging, lua scripts and backup for model files. (Long press on the model entry)

I have always thought that should perhaps be changed one day. But history is always quite persistent in technology. And ROM has better reliability than SD card when it comes down to it. :)

TL;DR Model memory is not stored on SD card. You need the companion software to read and write it. Make backups, it never went wrong for me. But when it does it sucks.

This had changed now on the Horus.   Everything is on the Sdcard. 

RE: changing to M9 Hall sticks on the 9D+

Really simple to do but be aware that the stick shafts are M4 threads, compared to M3 on the standard ones. If you've replaced the stick ends for big thumb mushrooms, then be prepared to drill them out and re-tap to M4, or buy some new ones.

On 01/06/2017 at 09:26, EssexBOF said:

Have now had problems with the X9d due to my brain not able to keep up with modern technology. Managed to brick my original on Firmware 1.1. Reloaded it with help onto 2.1. But the model memories did not all appear on the SD card, but can get over that. Problem is that although the models are there if you call them up, they do not work via the controls.

Further to this I loaded the files onto a Plus X9D I have, but they do not function properly, in that for instance the elevator is working the wrong way, but when using the function to reverse, it does not work, so there are gremlins in there somewhere.

Rob Thomson
45 minutes ago, EssexBOF said:

Further to this I loaded the files onto a Plus X9D I have, but they do not function properly, in that for instance the elevator is working the wrong way, but when using the function to reverse, it does not work, so there are gremlins in there somewhere.

Where did you set the direction? 

Most likely if it's not reversing.. There is an issue within the model config. 

Try do the same thing on a fresh model config. 

5 minutes ago, Rob Thomson said:

Where did you set the direction? 

Most likely if it's not reversing.. There is an issue within the model config. 

Try do the same thing on a fresh model config. 

On page 7 scroll across to where you reverse direction press enter flashes but does not then show invert, when pressing enter button

• 1 month later...

The problem on the servo reversing, was down to a changgoriginalACCST Tx, where if you clicked the arrow and the pulse rate, it wold come up invert. It dos not do that on the later Plus Tx, but clicking on the arrow does.

Having switched to the Plus Tx, the sticks on that are as they were o the old Tx, so to me there is a difference on the Hall sensor sticks.

BTW does anyone have a way of downloading the ST32 bootloader using Zadig as it just does not do it for me and it seems for a lot of other from searching the net.

• 5 months later...

Hi Gents, (and ladies?)

I haven't touched my planes and Taranis since the end of 2015 and I'm looking to get back out on the slopes (Might even hit a runway too :whistle: ).

I have a new computer as my last one broke and I don't have companion or any data stored anywhere. 

The version on my Taranis is opentx-taranis-plus-2.0.17

From that I guess the last Companion I had was 2.0.17? 

Things have moved on a little bit from then. 2.2.0 seems to be the latest firmware. I'd be happy to flash my receivers too. Should I do the flashybits?

I think I read somewhere that I should go to 2.1 first, then 2.2. Is this true?

I don't have a great amount of planes and am happy to start them all from scratch.

Any advice ? (apart from "get a Jeti" :D )

Welcome back Clayt!

No probs that I'm aware of going from 2.0 to 2.2 direct, but check converted setups carefully.

Whether or not you do it in one jump, you'll need to alter the filenames of custom sounds to 6 characters or less , and it'll also be necessary to alter the corresponding references in your templates (Special Functions menu). This doesn't apply to the system sounds provided by the OpenTx developers.

- Mike

Thanks Mike!

It feels good to be 'back' even if it's just in spirit and in the garage at the moment :brr:

I'll start the downloads and stuff now. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions..... :D

2 hours ago, Skip said:

I'll start the downloads and stuff now. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions..... :D

Never mind the downloads, Clayt. Get a Jeti!

After accidentally wiping everything and starting again.....

Things seem to be going ok using Mikes F3F setup for 2.2. (It has evolved quite a bit!!!)

The only thing I've found so far that you (Mike) might want to address is that the Camber and Reflex are set to use S3 as the source rather than S2.

I've not set up any planes yet, just getting to grips with it again.

Another thing that I had set up on my system was a 100% mix on launch that put the Aileron control onto the Rudder as I fly mode 1 and launch myself with my hands tucked nicely in a transmitter mitt. this allows me some time to get my right hand in. It's obviously something I'll do myself as there aren't that many people flying Mode1.

Clayt, re S3 issue, sounds like you’re using the version for 2.2 which is actually targeted to the X12S. You can amend mixer sources to S1 and S2 as appopriate. Alternatively use version for 2.1 which will translate correctly for X9D. [edit] also use OpenTx 2.2.1 as 2.2.0 has a translation bug.

• 4 weeks later...

I have greatly reduced the amount of expo I now use on my older radios with potentiometers after flying with hall sensors.

pots have a noticeable ‘dead band’ after using hall sensors.

(I still find pots nice to use however).

• 3 weeks later...

My Repairs are coming along nicely and I'm getting ready to set the planes up on the Taranis+. 

The receiver in the Needle is bound without any issues and works fine. The one for the Precision won't bind as per Firmware issues.

I only have 2 receivers. Is it worth using the LBT firmware for Tx and Rx?

Will new Rx's work without needing to change the firmware on the new Rx's after the Tx has LBT?

Assuming you're using X-series receivers, there's no significant difference between EU/LBT or non-EU so you might as well just stick with what you already have in the tx. Just make sure the rx matches (reflash if necesssary).

Finally figured it out today and have successfully re-bound my X8R's in their new planes to the Taranis+. I went for EU/LBT across the board. Took a bit of learning as all the computery/programmy stuff is still gobbledygook to me.

I did manage to fry one receiver by trying to flash firmware in the wrong filetype, hey-ho, glad they are cheap!

Using SH (Momentary switch, the sprung one on the right) I can get an audible RSSI reading and RX battery reading as it switches on and off. Don't have to hold it, just a flick and voila! Proud bit of learning and figuring out for me today. Saddo...

I will be calibrating two models tomorrow!!!! All repairs done, just need to paint! Pretty excited :D

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 11/04/2013 at 19:37, Rob Thomson said:

So...

As I am on the Dev team for opentx, and the owner of openrcforums.com, I figured a good idea for me to kick off this thread!

Frsky launch the new Taranis radio soon.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

What is great about this radio is that it runs opentx. OpenTX has been written primarily by glider nuts, so it really does everything yo may want.

As a bonus lots of interesting other features like various, voice feedback etc are avaliable. All making a really good package. All by the looks of it for around £150!

Any questions.... Feel free to ask me 🙂

Rob

Hello Rob

I have been reading your posts with great interest having been out of the hobby for over 10 years so felt a new 2.4Ghz transmitter would be the order of the day. But if I was to use a Frsky module for my 35Mhz JR 3810 transmitter, other than telemetry would I be missing out on other functions by not buying a new 2.4Ghz transmitter or would I be better off just keeping the 35Hz for my existing models already set up and buying a dedicated transmitter for new or upgraded models?

Regards Kev