Frsky Taranis - the ultimate glider radio?

Rob Thomson

That looks really great Rob and if I hadn't already spent a small fortune on a Futaba 2.4 GHz tray style transmitter I would be ordering too!  As you know I use Frsky FASST receivers almost exclusively with it so I am a big fan of Frsky.  As long as the mechanical bits of the tranny are nice quality it almost looks like a no-brainer for us Glideristas!

Si

Lol.

No issue with PM :-)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Any plans to make this compatible with spektrum receivers ?

Mike

Rob Thomson

Two modules.

1. Built in and always there. This is an frsky ACCST module for use with their rx's.

2. I slot on the back where ANY Jr compatible module can be plugged in.

The software setup let's you choose the module to use for the model that is loaded.

RESULT:

If you want to use dsm, then plug in a spectrum module in the back. Or a clone orangerx module.

If you want to use flysky, futaba, Walkera etc... Simply plug in a suitable module!

I think this is a smart move by frsky. For then first time you can have a radio supporting 2 different protocols at the same time. It makes it really easy to migrate to the frsky system.

Now... It I could scare you even more.

You could plug in two receivers in the model. Bind one to the internal module, and one to the plug in module.

OpenTX can then route specified channel outputs to a different transmitter module.

The result. You can instantly get 16 channels :-)

Rob Thomson

Looks good. Does the JR module operate DSM2 RXs that come in many of the RTFs these days ?

Then orange rx module sold by hk will do this. Just plug in... And bind.

Then orange rx module sold by hk will do this. Just plug in... And bind.

Apologies for re-asking a possibly dim question again but I have a lot of Spektrum rx and telemetry gear. If I was to buy one of these TX's,would it be compatible witht this gear and if so, what would I need in addition to the TX ? Mike

Rob Thomson

You could use this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24656__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_2_4Ghz_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html

However.  Can you clarify what you are using for your telemetry? I am going to hazard a guess you are using a DX8 telemetry system?

The Orange RX module will talk both DSM & DSMX so will work perfectly for all BNF models.  However...   Spektrum have never published information about their telemetry protocol on the DX8.  The result is that you would be able to fly.. but not use the spektrum telemetry gadgets.

If I could ask.  What is the key telemetry item you use?

Rob

You could use this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24656__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_2_4Ghz_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html

However.  Can you clarify what you are using for your telemetry? I am going to hazard a guess you are using a DX8 telemetry system?

The Orange RX module will talk both DSM & DSMX so will work perfectly for all BNF models.  However...   Spektrum have never published information about their telemetry protocol on the DX8.  The result is that you would be able to fly.. but not use the spektrum telemetry gadgets.

If I could ask.  What is the key telemetry item you use?

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. My main telemetry items are RX voltage and Altimeter (both Spektrum DX8)  I am also interested in future usage of air speed , an additional battery pack voltage meter & GPS.

Mike

Rob Thomson

Ok...

So...  While you will be able to use your DSM receivers.  The existing telemety add-ons will not be of much use.

To do what you want with frsky is simple :-)

1.  RX voltage is included by default.

2.  The range of sensors frsky have is quite good!  To match what you have currently you would want the frsky vario. (make sure it is the new one - not the current one that requires a hub - and is carp!)

But.... I have a better solution for you.

OpenXVario http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=86  & http://code.google.com/p/openxvario/

This little vario is an arduino based vario that costs roughly £20 - £30 to build. (depending on where you buy the 2 parts!)

What.. to build?  Well... yes. It is a GPL community system, and this vario is outperforming all the commercial versions out there!

Building it is hardly scary.  4 wires to solder the two boards together, and a servo lead for good measure.

The vario will give you altitude and rate of climb.  It is built from day one to work direct with your opentx firmware.

Check this video:

and it will give you an idea of the vario and how it works.

If REALLY scared by building one yourself.  I can make them easily for you.  They only take about 20 mins to make!

Rob

What happens with this open-ended software when you set up a plane and are happily flying it, and then it gets upgraded again (which I gather is happening almost all the time)?  Do you stop downloading upgrades at that point, or continue to upgrade and re-do the settings on your plane(s) each time?

Rob Thomson

Well..  your choice.

If you dont want to upgrade.  Leave it as is.  

If you do want to upgrade - no issue either.  The models will get upgraded!

There is a rather clever bit of software for windows/mac/linux called companion9x

http://code.google.com/p/companion9x/wiki/Screenshots

This software makes it easy too:

- upgrade your firmware

- edit your models from within a pc application

- simulate your radio from within the pc application.

It also allows you to backup your models and transfer them between radios.  Or even share models

For example:  http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

People do tend to already share their model configs  :drool:

Rob

Rob Thomson

This little example can show you what sort of voice you can expect on the taranis :-)  (all done with opentx under the 9x radio - with lots of mods!)

This transmitter sounds better and better every minute.

I think the vario will come in very handy.

Just love the way you can play around with firmware setting.

I used to have an old jr transmitter in this case and it felt real nice in the hand and was perfectly waited to.

If its as good as it sounds Frsky will be onto a big winner.

Ok...

So...  While you will be able to use your DSM receivers.  The existing telemety add-ons will not be of much use.

To do what you want with frsky is simple :-)

1.  RX voltage is included by default.

2.  The range of sensors frsky have is quite good!  To match what you have currently you would want the frsky vario. (make sure it is the new one - not the current one that requires a hub - and is carp!)

But.... I have a better solution for you.

OpenXVario http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=86  & http://code.google.com/p/openxvario/

This little vario is an arduino based vario that costs roughly £20 - £30 to build. (depending on where you buy the 2 parts!)

What.. to build?  Well... yes. It is a GPL community system, and this vario is outperforming all the commercial versions out there!

Building it is hardly scary.  4 wires to solder the two boards together, and a servo lead for good measure.

The vario will give you altitude and rate of climb.  It is built from day one to work direct with your opentx firmware.

Check this video:

and it will give you an idea of the vario and how it works.

If REALLY scared by building one yourself.  I can make them easily for you.  They only take about 20 mins to make!

Rob

Thanks again. Very useful input and a lot to mull over wrt future directions.

Gotta love those tripp trapps. Our two daughters still use them in preference to our normal chairs. And if I ever learn to play the guitar, I can join the fight over them ...   ;)

Mike

Rob Thomson

I think that it is the dawn of something great.

Funny thing is.... All of this has been in use by the "underground" rc community for some time.

I have been flying with a sky9x upgrade to the 9x, for well on 18months.

What has been holding the system back has been the poor quality of the th9x radio. For those who have been prepared to hack and solder and screw with the th9x, the rewards have been great.

Now.. We have two out the box offerings that can run then system.

Turnigy9xR - basic functionality only, no telemetry without mods. No audio. Has some known quality issues. Cost is circa £60.

Taranis - all features included, and room to expand. Cost is circa £140.

This is good news indeed for the modelling community. No longer is the peer of the high end sets only avaliable if you have allot of money. At a budget of just £140 we can have a radio that exceeds the capabilities of all other radios (that I know of)

Nice :D

Now the only thing that needs to happen is for frsky to start shipping, and to maintain quality control :-P

Rob Thomson

No probs.

Let me work out some actually official costing. I ordered the parts for six of them a few weeks back, so definitely have spares.

Rob

Rob Thomson

Right.. based on my current costings for the parts I ordered in.

How does £35 sound for a vario wired up, programmed and shipped?

If you made it yourself, you would be round about £27 (depending on parts ordered)

This would be my target price.  Dependent on how much it costs to get the parts from China (exchange rate) it might fluctuate by roughly £5.

• Like 1

As soon as my transmitter arrives I'll give you shout a get you to make me one up.

You'll have to tell me how it fit in to the transmitter?and dose it need to be soldered?

Cheers Les

Rob Thomson

Nothing to connect to the tx.

Just plug it into the serial port on the receiver!

Then Frsky telemetry system then sends the signals to the tx, which then outputs the sounds. (you have to enable the vario for the model on the tx)

Couldn't be easier!