Rob Thomson

Frsky Taranis - the ultimate glider radio?

Skip

My Repairs are coming along nicely and I'm getting ready to set the planes up on the Taranis+. 

The receiver in the Needle is bound without any issues and works fine. The one for the Precision won't bind as per Firmware issues.

I only have 2 receivers. Is it worth using the LBT firmware for Tx and Rx?

Will new Rx's work without needing to change the firmware on the new Rx's after the Tx has LBT?

rc-soar

Assuming you're using X-series receivers, there's no significant difference between EU/LBT or non-EU so you might as well just stick with what you already have in the tx. Just make sure the rx matches (reflash if necesssary).

Skip

Finally figured it out today and have successfully re-bound my X8R's in their new planes to the Taranis+. I went for EU/LBT across the board. Took a bit of learning as all the computery/programmy stuff is still gobbledygook to me.

I did manage to fry one receiver by trying to flash firmware in the wrong filetype, hey-ho, glad they are cheap!

Using SH (Momentary switch, the sprung one on the right) I can get an audible RSSI reading and RX battery reading as it switches on and off. Don't have to hold it, just a flick and voila! Proud bit of learning and figuring out for me today. Saddo...

I will be calibrating two models tomorrow!!!! All repairs done, just need to paint! Pretty excited :D

• Like 3

Stormeflyer
On 11/04/2013 at 19:37, Rob Thomson said:

So...

As I am on the Dev team for opentx, and the owner of openrcforums.com, I figured a good idea for me to kick off this thread!

Frsky launch the new Taranis radio soon.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

What is great about this radio is that it runs opentx. OpenTX has been written primarily by glider nuts, so it really does everything yo may want.

As a bonus lots of interesting other features like various, voice feedback etc are avaliable. All making a really good package. All by the looks of it for around £150!

Any questions.... Feel free to ask me 🙂

Rob

Hello Rob

I have been reading your posts with great interest having been out of the hobby for over 10 years so felt a new 2.4Ghz transmitter would be the order of the day. But if I was to use a Frsky module for my 35Mhz JR 3810 transmitter, other than telemetry would I be missing out on other functions by not buying a new 2.4Ghz transmitter or would I be better off just keeping the 35Hz for my existing models already set up and buying a dedicated transmitter for new or upgraded models?

Regards Kev

pete beadle

Hi Kev

I've got a 2.4 module on my Graupner/JR MX22......full set of functions, digital trims, and it looks just like a Taranis case, plus the Rx's are MUCH cheaper.......believe me, you'd not be missing much not having your tranny talking to you!:):yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Stormeflyer

Hi Pete

Thanks for that information that is reassuring to hear, I didn’t want to buy a module and waste money if it would have less functions and more importantly risk losing signal to a half decent glider by not purchasing a dedicated unit.

I was fortunate to have had zero problems with 35Mhz signal but it appears everything has now gone 2.4Ghz so felt if I’m starting again I had better update!

And the idea of the transmitter talking in the background reminds me of why I hit the slopes with a glider 😳

Regards Kev

pete beadle

Hi Kev

More than ten years ago  bought myself a Graupner/JR MC24 transmitter on 35 MHz it has delivered a faultless radio link 'til today, and I assume will do this for years more  or while I'm spared, as they say.....

When JR SPCM receivers appeared they put the cherry on the cake, and these days, I can buy them for less then 10% of their initial RRP

A short while ago I bought nine JR R70/700 synthesised"slimline" receivers for a fiver each

I was given an MC20  transmitter about two years ago because the previous owner was "going 2.4" - for nothing.....

There are many reasons for sticking with 35 megs, not all of them obvious......like the fact that 99.5% of the flyers who visit the hill these days are on 2.4:)

This year I stopped carrying the deadweight of my wooden pegboard, complete with a full set of pegs, because I hadn't needed it all year:yes:

Think positive, think 35 megs!  catchy maxim innit!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Skip

One of the first things I noticed when I shifted to 2.4 (with a 2.4 module on the back of the tranny) was the increased speed of response. Some others haven't ever noticed tho so your experience may be different.

I love not having to worry about someone showing up on the same FM frequency 😊

• Like 1

Stormeflyer

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Kev

More than ten years ago  bought myself a Graupner/JR MC24 transmitter on 35 MHz it has delivered a faultless radio link 'til today, and I assume will do this for years more  or while I'm spared, as they say.....

When JR SPCM receivers appeared they put the cherry on the cake, and these days, I can buy them for less then 10% of their initial RRP

A short while ago I bought nine JR R70/700 synthesised"slimline" receivers for a fiver each

I was given an MC20  transmitter about two years ago because the previous owner was "going 2.4" - for nothing.....

There are many reasons for sticking with 35 megs, not all of them obvious......like the fact that 99.5% of the flyers who visit the hill these days are on 2.4:)

This year I stopped carrying the deadweight of my wooden pegboard, complete with a full set of pegs, because I hadn't needed it all year:yes:

Think positive, think 35 megs!  catchy maxim innit!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete 

Funny enough I was looking at Graupner as my next transmitter, then again I was also looking at the Spektrum and then I had been reading Mike Shellim’s web site so thought about Frysky.............Doh!

I like the idea of leaving my older stuff on 35meg, and I like those JR receivers for £5 even better 😀 that is until I get shot down could I blame you for that if it happens? 🤔

I thought this was going to be simple; buy new batteries✔️ Practice on a half decent Foamie to get my hand in✔️ And now I’m reading about New transmitters, stripping models down and covering them in lam film, there won’t be much time left to fly!

To be honest programming any transmitter is going to be new to me anyway so I don’t have to be worried about that so I’ll be writing my Christmas check list shortly.

Cheers Kev

Stormeflyer
1 hour ago, Skip said:

One of the first things I noticed when I shifted to 2.4 (with a 2.4 module on the back of the tranny) was the increased speed of response. Some others haven't ever noticed tho so your experience may be different.

I love not having to worry about someone showing up on the same FM frequency 😊

Hi Skip

I definitely hear you there and would be sick as a parrot being shot down if it was my Viking, especially if they said “sorry mate I didn’t think anyone flew 35meg” 

I could always push them off the Orme and say a gust of wind caught them, ha! 👿

Cheers Kev

rc-soar

Honestly, I would just get an external XJT module for your existing tx.  That way you can continue where you left off, while optionally easing yourself into an alternative 2.4 based  ecosystem - all at your own pace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pete beadle

Hi Kev

It's your choice mate! Don't let me twist your arm......as you know, there are usually two sides to anything that becomes a discussion/argument, all I was trying to do was to give you a few of the plus points of 35 meg operation, in case you'd forgotten them

Every person who has told me the potential difficulties of frequency clashes still happening on 35 megs needs to know that "remainers" are doubly sensitive to the potential problem of finding (or worse NOT finding) someone on their frequency that has shot them down. As a result, in my experience anyway, I have found them doubly considerate to other 35 meg users they find at places where they intend to fly.:yes:

Statistically, things can only get better though, as every 2.4 user seems to feel it's his responsibility to ensure new flyers start as they mean to go on, and convince 35 meg users they just HAVE to go 2.4..........so statistically speaking, the more flyers they convert to 2.4, the fewer flyers remain to interfere with  remainers.......QED

IMHO there's room for everyone in this hobby, and the more the merrier, the choice of frequency on which they'll fly should be their choice alone.....which is as it should be:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Stormeflyer

Hi Pete

I really appreciate your comments and was only pulling your leg about blaming you being shot down on 35meg. I think it’s a nice move by Frsky to have made modules for other manufacturers equipment as quite often you find such incompatiblity and it seems such a throw away world.

Yes I’ll still take my day glow peg board with me just in case 😎

So long as my JR isn’t riddled with black wire this is how I will go, in hindsight I should have removed the batteries 😩

Regards Kev