BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

Jef Ott

Hi Guys,

Here's a Marmite thread.

Those that don't appreciate the fine lines of glass and wood machines built for single man hand-towing, might as well get out of here right now! 

If you have any photos from the 70's, 80's and 90's, or still fly models from the period when the BARCS Open contests numbers had to be limited, please get some of your best pics posted up here.  :)

Not limiting this to the Vintage and Classic glider rules (being outrageously selfish), as some of the moulded models of the nineties were just as appealing to me, and I will get to post three times as many photos that way.

It would be nice to share some info on each model where it is known too.

For example, my Proton is a Mk2, as it does not have the balanced rudder which John Shaw designed the Mk1 with... (Photos courtesy Arthur Ott)

Hope this thread gets some response, and I am not the only one hooked on the designs of the Twentieth Century!

Jef

post-1722-0-26642500-1365797100_thumb.jp post-1722-0-49733300-1365797122_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I fly these type of models though they have all been relatively recently built. First is a Veron Vortex, built from a battered kit with a broken fuselage, reproduction graphics. More to come after I've uploaded them to Photobucket.

Picture180-1.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Foss Hi-Phase, plan-built wings, fuselage converted from a scrap Centi-Phase. Bought a spare one with foam wings at the trade fair (just in case!)

PictureorVideo317_zps927f1139.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Foss (there's a trend here!) Multi-Phase, had a chequered life and was lost to radio failure last year, another kit and a fairly rare Multi-Phase 100 to build.

PictureorVideo184-1_zps9c98214e.jpg

• Like 1

Flair Sunrise, don't always feel totally in control of this!! Probably not enough dihedral, locks into a turn scarily at times. The second-hand kit was £17 around 1998.

PictureorVideo012_zps594577b3.jpg

• Like 1

There are full build threads for the Vortex, Hi-Phase, Multi-Phase, Medicine Man, Albatross and Elan on RC Groups, listed and linked in one of my blog posts.

Very happy to talk about them, I missed this period of RC soaring and it can be quite difficult to find detailed info on these older designs, I've learnt a lot along the way.

Cheers

Gary 

• Like 1

Just a thought (if Austin is reading) that this thread should be moved to 'Other soaring' so that non-members can see it.

GB 

Gary,

Thanks ever so much for posting your excellent model pics! 

The reason I posted it in the BARCS MEMBERS area was it is a nice treat for those of us that are BARCS members.

There are not enough benefits to being a member, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Jef

Hello Jeff.

Sadly i sold all mine on but like Gary i had a few and here is my list,some i built,some i brought all ready built.

Gentle Lady

100" Osprey

100" Elan

120" Diamond Cloud

100" Gold Cloud

134" Eliminator

100" Sunrise

100" Sun Stroke

118" Bird Of Time

• Like 1

Cambrian Elan and Flair Albatross, both built from kits, the Elan is much the better flyer in light conditions.

PictureorVideo147_zpsde7e01d4.jpg

Which is which Gary?

Some pics sent to me by Pete Beadle, with a request for me to post them here...

Top left is a Bird of Time. Then there is a Proper Proton and Flair Sunrise.

Underneath those pics is a pic of a Trilogy7 and an Algebra 100S.

Thanks for the pics Peter.

Jef

post-1722-0-12226900-1365857099_thumb.jp

post-1722-0-94613300-1365857423_thumb.jp

post-1722-0-66074100-1365857453_thumb.jp

and this one, also from Mr Beadle, with some of the fliers and models from the Nostalgia Day at Ivinghoe Beacon in 2012. Can't wait for this year's event...

post-1722-0-72860200-1365857655_thumb.jp

A few pictures going back to the early 90s - quality is low due to the quality of the photo prior to scanning.  First is fly-off pilots at Interglide, Fairlop. This was definitely a changeover time from built up models towards moulded models.  My model, Evolution RG was somewhere in-between.  It used cut down Fendon wings form Colin Paddon (blue foam inner, and white foam outer), but using my own carbon spar capping, glass-clothed, and finally solar filmed for a smooth finish.  The fuselage was a Kevlar pod, in Proton style but longer, and carbon boom.  Full house controls, with Crow braking etc.  20+ years later that model survived a long and successful competition life, and now has an electric motor in the nose for electro-soaring.  Rob Ashley's Robdon also used Colin Paddon's excellent wings, with his own fuselage, again full house.   Dave Charles has his 'Jewel' moulded model - light and flew very well. Karl Hinsch was still flying a 'floaty' model!

The other two photos are of my Evolution 100, 100" model - Used very cut down Fendon wings, glassed and solarfilm covered.  Fuselage was all built up out of light block balsa, carved to shape (inside and out), and then glass covered.  I used carbon tows inside for strength.  Again a very successful model in it's time, and unbreakable in flight. The high speed tows were awesome.

Simon

post-1762-0-90503900-1365860463_thumb.jp

post-1762-0-08581000-1365860495_thumb.jp

post-1762-0-43259600-1365860529_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Which is which Gary?

Oops, sorry! The Elan is nearest the camera, I spotted last night that Cambrian are selling plans for it but not kits.

GB

• Like 1

Here is a pic of an Ellipse behind my favourite all-rounder, the Calypso Contest. 3m span. Very agile, aerobatic and efficient. Thermals well, handles very forgivingly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this design has it all for my eyes!

Have owned the model since its original owner, Phil James, passed away. Phil left us on the field at a Fairlop Open comp.

Stuart Blanchard stopped building the Calypsos at/around the end of the 20th Century.

Anyone know what happened to the moulds?

Jef

post-1722-0-46280300-1365885948_thumb.jp