BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

Jef Ott

I don't know how others do it but I make the tips separately (a plan form sandwich cut to the basic shape with a scroll saw) and then glue them to the end rib, then carve and sand them.

Just before gluing them to the wing end rib I square the mating face with a disc sander, this ensures there is no gap and also that they have no unintended dihedral or anhedral (assuming the sander table is square!). 

Some of Chris's plans show tips laminated with thin ply and some don't. It's a good idea as the thin bit (normally at the trailing edge!) can be very fragile and doesn't like being smashed into the kitchen ceiling Artex (ask me how I know!!).

This is a laminated tip from my dear departed Multi Phase.

PictureorVideo073_zpsb6224e69.jpg

PictureorVideo074_zpsb7c7e22a.jpg

An idle thought that I aired at the recent committee meeting was the possibility of a 'classic fun-fly' at Radioglide, most likely after one of the main events in the late afternoon/early evening.

If there is any interest then please chime in here or PM me as I said I would organise it if there was enough response.

Bungees and/or hand tow allowed!

Cheers

Gary

Some pics sent to me by Pete Beadle, with a request for me to post them here...

Top left is a Bird of Time. Then there is a Proper Proton and Flair Sunrise.

Underneath those pics is a pic of a Trilogy7 and an Algebra 100S.

Thanks for the pics Peter.

Jef

In lineage, the Trlogy in the picture is actually a 2 and is the original as built by me in 1978 and preserved in aspic up to his death in 2009 by Dave Mason

Of interest Jef, the Trilogy 7 was what got you into the hobby in the mid 90's when you had a go of it when we first met at Flambirds where you had a go on the sticks. Picture of the 7 version attached which Nigel Dell still flies.

post-1732-0-59868300-1390946338_thumb.jp

Thanks Brian.

Pete supplied me with the info and I merely posted it. Should have gone to you for verification first :lol: .

Just for the record though, Dad, Gary and I had been flying r/c together for a year or so with three models of Dad's 2m AboGoJo design (and others, including towing up my enlarged Merlin with an r/c car), and we were already all hooked before I ever came over to Flambirds. An unforgettable memory though, was seeing your Trilogy 7 on that mid 90's day - the first time I had seen a full house thermal soarer in the air and in the flesh. The flat centre section looked very purposeful and it almost looked as though it was drooping down towards the tips, as the sleek black/green model made it's way stealthily, effortlessly, back to the centre of the field at Flambirds.

Thanks for selling us the last of the Trilogy 6 kits, we still have two of the three in the shed (probably still flyable with the addition of some new batteries)!

Thanks Brian.

Pete supplied me with the info and I merely posted it. Should have gone to you for verification first :lol: .

Just for the record though, Dad, Gary and I had been flying r/c together for a year or so with three models of Dad's 2m AboGoJo design (and others, including towing up my enlarged Merlin with an r/c car), and we were already all hooked before I ever came over to Flambirds. An unforgettable memory though, was seeing your Trilogy 7 on that mid 90's day - the first time I had seen a full house thermal soarer in the air and in the flesh. The flat centre section looked very purposeful and it almost looked as though it was drooping down towards the tips, as the sleek black/green model made it's way stealthily, effortlessly, back to the centre of the field at Flambirds.

Thanks for selling us the last of the Trilogy 6 kits, we still have two of the three in the shed (probably still flyable with the addition of some new batteries)!

I had not realised that you had flown before, but it became apparent I suppose as you flew the Trilogy with ease.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had my own little nostalgia day today, the Hi-Phase and Centi-Phase had an airing plus the first flight of the Phase Lift (in my hands).

A top tip with the Phase Lift is to fit the tip panel wire joiners, it's a lot stronger with them!! Just a bit of rigging unfamiliarity that I spotted well before it got launched. Although it is balanced on the design point test hand glides seemed to show it was nose heavy and this was confirmed in the air, might just move the battery back a bit.

Launched on a short bungee fine, I think the releasable hook will have to go as it won't take decent size rings. The ratio of rudder to aileron mechanical coupling doesn't seem quite right (too much rudder) but it flew quite well. The backward wingtips don't seem to bother it but it does look odd!

Cheers

Gary

P4158236.thumb.JPG.32db805f8683e3504f9531ac2191de6a.JPG 

Edited by Gary B
Replace watermarked image with original
  • Like 2

It was a good day, a bit chilly to start with and the wind was fresh. My friend's field is surrounded by a tall hedge with trees further upwind (whatever direction it is!) which causes low level turbulence, had the Hi-Phase on its side with full opposite rudder more than once!

I have a ModelAir Graduate kit in the loft, untouched apart from I nicked the snakes out of it. Was given to me a couple of years ago.

Was tipped off yesterday that there is a Chris Foss Ridge Royalist on eBay at the mo, some crossed wires there as it doesn't have 'Phase' in the name! Solent Sailplanes I think. Had a look, very similar to the Hi-Phase.

Got too many already!!

Just found half a church roof glued into the nose floor of the Phase Lift, removed without too much pain. I can increase the aileron sensitivity by just using the inner hole on the horn.

In my excitement yesterday I forgot that it had flaps that I can play with (well, a trimmable trailing edge).

Nice to read about BARCS members enjoying flying their nostalgic models on this thread. A great development.

Please continue to do so!

With a bit of luck I hope to get to air one or two of my nostalgic models during the evenings next week.

Good to hear about you getting out Pete, do Terry and Jim visit this thread? If so, any chance of them posting photos of their models? If they're not BARCS members then my decision to keep this thread here (in the members section) was wrong, and agree it should be moved to the wider audience.

:)

Jef

Perhaps it's a subject for another thread Pete? I will take your thoughts onboard as the association's public relations man. I'm particularly interested in getting youngsters involved, prizing them away from their Xboxes and Playstations is not easy as our 17 year-old son is proving!!

Off out again to try the Phase Lift with adjusted C of G.

Is this Jim's Graduate? I have quite a few photos from the Ivinghoe Nostalgia Day in September 2010.  

PictureorVideo005.thumb.JPG.5b491e8ed807963ec3bfd5153f22dc24.JPG 

Edited by Gary B
Replace watermarked image with original

Thanks for all the ideas about which area of the Barcs Forum the Nostalgia Pictures should sit in. 

Think we will keep this thread here for BARCS Members, for the time being, if anyone fancies throwing some pics into a "Not Necessarily Members" thread elsewhere, I certainly have no objections, and may even slip the odd entry into it myself. 

BTW Pete, gradually getting the Electric Thermik Excel sorted, have been mould-making and vacuum forming (first attempts at this art) and heat moulding a servo cover/ linkage fairing today for the v-tail servos which are now mounted in the tailplane. Might have it flying tomorrow as I have just been relieved of the grand-children baby-sitting duties I was down for.

Best regards,

Jef

... Might have it flying tomorrow as I have just been relieved of the grand-children baby-sitting duties I was down for.

Best regards,

Jef

My wife and I needed to go over and see the grandchildren after all, but two hours of that was enough for both of us.

So at 2pm I was finishing the modifications / tidying the Thermik Excel.

Arrived at my favourite flat field for Northerly winds (Bartletts Farm), at about 3pm, had a couple of trimming flights (and re-tightened the prop collet, luckily it just moved forward half an inch on the shaft during the first launch to 150m, so I didn't lose it off the end), then the wind picked up and the lift got stronger with it.

Flying until the cold got right through my jacket and trousers, I only needed another four flights after that to completely satisfy my air thermal desires.

Managed to get the Thermik up to around 2500ft, and even risked a roll or two on the way down, but the real joy in flying this one is the effortless and efficient penetration, so following lift a long way downwind and always getting back, without use of the power train, then getting away again, put a smile on my face many times.

Going down to the South Downs with my 3m Calypso Contest T tomorrow. Loving Easter!

Jef

Not sure what year the winglets appeared on the Thermik C / what year the Excel was introduced. May not be relevant in this thread - can anyone enlighten me please?

Jef

post-1722-0-74509500-1397850991_thumb.jp

Flew both the 3m and 3.3m variants of the Calypso Contest this evening - off the winch. Still struggling towards getting the bigger one flying as nicely as the small one, but that is exactly what makes flying so entertaining for me.

Had a big grin on my face on the way home!

• Like 1

Thanks for this info Pete.

I know exactly what you mean about the model pitching out of the turn - I thought that was just poor piloting!

Before getting the 3.3m - in fact, before I got any confidence with the small one, I was sure I had remembered that there was a wing joiner with some added dihedral, but was told otherwise on here. 

And yes, the Thermic C is much like the Excel, if it circles as if on rails too!

Wanted - some dihedral increasing wing joiners!!!!!

Jef

Sounds like a plan Pete!

As it happens I have a good stock of 1/8th lite ply and a good stock of glass board.

Disappearing for a couple of weeks, but will make a start when I return.

Jef

• 3 weeks later...

Back from hols and the angled joiner making has begun. First is complete. Parts all cut for second.

I had to file a small bevel on one of the wing tip location dowels, so that the now angled tip would go all the way home, and touch the end of the centre panel.

post-1722-0-41599300-1399839338_thumb.jp