BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

Jef Ott

The thing I LOVED about my Xantia (I had to get one when I saw how nicely Gary's one flew) was that I never flew it once without finding lift, and it ALWAYS made better use of that lift than anything I had flown previously.

Mine had previously belonged to Uncle Sydney and came with a couple of sheets of lead for windier conditions and Brian Austin remarked positively about my one's ability to fly in a stiff breeze at the Anglia MFC field at Stow Maries. As I didn't have the confidence to fly an aileron model in those early days in my r/c flying career, it was the perfect model for me at the time.

I had put a secondhand PCM receiver in this model, not understanding about lockouts, and in the harsh radio environment of a busily attended Oxford RadioGlide competition in the late nineties I had a 1 mile plus flyaway, after hitting good air and following it for a couple of minutes, I found the receiver's limit of range when another 7 transmitters were in use (good old 35MHz eh?).  The model came to rest gently in a crop of corn just fifteen metres from a housing estate, no damage at all. I soon found the money for a Futaba PPM receiver and the model flew again.

However, a few months later... My lack of knowledge of battery capacity caught me out and the Sub C rx pack going flat, when it was 500ft up, taught me how much damage can occur at the point of impact after a 500ft vertical dive. Even the tractor driver 70 meters away was quite impressed at how hard his earth had been hit!

Some of the wreckage remains in my hangar as a stark reminder about receiver battery life.

Must admit to being curious about the Xantia / Xantipa that JG's friend has for sale! Pictures Please!!

Jef,  sorry about the link error. I don't know what the error was but it was caused by my typing it out as the post wouldn't allow me to paste a copy of it. (As a test I have just succeeded in doing it now though)

• Administrators

Hi Austin

I don't know about anyone else that uses the freebie antivirus provided by BT (McAfee) but mine developed a severe case of panic when I tried to open ANY of these links telling me that it STRONGLY advises I don't open any of them........big red STOP screens! everything except a warning hooter.....

I'm convinced that this slow, slow system (McAfee) is responsible for most of my problems when accessing and trying to use, their offering called BT Mail, via Internet Explorer.......

Anyway, I have absolutely NO intention of swerving off topic to go into this nonsense and, like most pensioners with a problem relating to IT I'll just soldier on overpaying for BT's cr*p service and letting them get away with it

Pete

Apologies for going off topic. McAfee could not catch a cold :blink:. Get rid of it Peter. Most problems today are caused by Trojans and spyware. Remove what you have, get this and your problems will be over.

Please ---- no one else chime in and spoil the topic digressing about computers. Anyone needing advice can open a topic in General Discussion. Thank you.

Thanks for keeping this thread neatly on the topic Austin. The links are working perfectly, I have been drooling over the Xantia and Xantipa pics and 3-view, and then drooling over the Xantia pics again!  

Was there ever a more efficient 3 function thermal soarer?

• 1 month later...

Here are pics of my Electric Calypso Contest Vee Plus, completed and awaiting maidening. 

Electric Calypso Contest V-Plus.jpg

Electric Calypso Contest Vee Plus.jpg

I see "happiness and fond memories, with the hope that more pleasure will come.

Ian

Edited by Nicholls
It is AFU with previous replies and I don't know why...
  • Like 1

I see "happiness and fond memories, with the hope that more pleasure will come.

Ian

That's a nice sentiment Ian. Haven't been as nervous about maidening anything for years! 

Very nice Jef.  My own Evolution RG from 1991 was given a minor refurb over the last few weeks.  Some tidying up of hinges and surfaces, but the main change was to change out all the wing servos from the old Futaba 133/143s with plastic gears (and intermittent operation), to a full set of Futaba 3150 digitals.  I also took the opportunity to install JETI RC gear, as that is now my system.  The main reason for doing this was to install a GPS and Vario which run through through the JETI telemetry, creating the third iteration of this model (F3J, Electro were the previous uses) - A practice model for GPS triangle racing.

Simon

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1376 (2).jpg

IMG_1375 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Here is a pic of a model from the nineties, that I had not heard of until recently, a Frits Donker Duyvis design called the Fletcher.

Pic supplied by FDD himself!

B) 

Jef - here's my Mondrian Fletcher - doing its thing off a Devon cliff - great photo by Ian Mason

Its still a great plane - soars well, fast & agile.

Phil.

Fletcher_Mondrian.thumb.jpg.7d4596511ce6

• Like 1

Maidened the Electric Calypso Contest Vee Plus today, in the wind and rain.  

Next project is a Xantia, for which I already have a few bits and pieces including 4 wing panels and a crumpled fuselage.

Anyone got the carbon tip joiners used in the Xantia (I have the steel blade joiners)?

Also going to need a tailplane. 

Dimensions of the above required parts would also be useful, as I enjoy making small things.

• 1 month later...

At the Bartletts Series Trophy Presentation Dinner, last weekend, Brian Austin very kindly presented me with the plans for his "Summer Wind" 138" RES model.

A true classic, and sure to spark in the nostalgic imagination of a few on here.

When I got home I realised that there were not one, but two sets of plans. So if anyone wants a set, please let me know.

It's virtually winter, quick, build something!

• Like 1

A couple of nostalgia shots -  circa 1981

The first three were of an own design slope soarer (for light winds but howling gales didn't seem to bother it) known affectionately by everyone else as the "Dying Duck" due to the amount of flex in the joiners - made the wings appear to flap - it was quite aerobatic for a R/E model - the wings use to flatten completely when flying inverted  -much to everyone's amusement - and I would get 45 degrees plus dihedral in a loop. Very simple Clark Y wing section, 144" span. Had half a church roofs worth of lead in the nose to get the CoG correct. The 3rd shot is me launching the Duck on Blackstone Edge Bowl - a superb slope soaring site near Littleborough (Lancs) for westerlies. 

The last shot is a Ridge Rover with plug in wingtip extensions. This model exploded mid air when I rolled it doing a very fast downwind pass. At least it had the decency for the remnants to crash - quite literally - at my feet.

I think I still have the wings for the 'Duck' up in the loft somewhere, I have also just found the fuselage for a Veron Vortex as well. Both are/were incredibly tatty though.

They all had a very hard life.

duck1.jpg

duck2.jpg

duck3.jpg

ridgerover.jpg

• Like 1

• Austin pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 16/09/2015 at 22:55, Jef said:

Next project is a Xantia, for which I already have a few bits and pieces including 4 wing panels and a crumpled fuselage.

360 days since I made the above comment, today I have finally made a very small start on the XantEa. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Xantia will be getting a GliderDrive 1120kv motor, as one has become available (through some bad flying on my part) and the tail surface servos will be mounted in the fin.  

This is not a huge variation on the original layout, as the elevator servo was always mounted in the fin anyway. But I am now torn between lightweight and reliability, as tails should always be built light... but the original rudder servo would have been a "standard" servo of the period. 

This one will now be using a 14gram MG92B Towerpro servo on the rudder, in the fin, with a Volz ZIP servo on elevator. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made some Nostalgia today - my Son, Gary, stirring the sticks to good effect on the XantEa in wonderfully calm but mildly thermic conditions. Gary's Pic of XantEa.jpg  IMG_0337.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
John Minchell

Just joined and thorougly enjoyed this thread.  Used to fly with Pete's Hemsworth and Beadle on the Beacon.

Restoring a Stu Blanchard Calypso 6 that I traded decades ago from Pete Beadle and also a Brian Cooper Frankinstein I think (4M polyhedral with flaps and ailerons and barn door brakes) which I rescued from Dave Jones' bin (the QFI editor) after he crashed it on the line.

Jef - like you I am working on an electro Calypso Contest Plus (with the large tails) so your tune up tips on joiner dihedral and CG position are timely.

John M

• Like 1