BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

Jef Ott

Hi Gary

Very neat, as usual

Come on, spill the beans about the "obvious deliberate mistake"

A good friend of mine, Pete Hemsworth, is a regular user of Futaba 16M and similar "beige" servos, his 'Flecken flew superbly at last year's Nostalgia Day with a full complement of red label and black label (denoting direction of rotation) servos

He still doesn't like linears though, thinks their unecessary in the BIG fuselages such as the 'Lift, good design principle (the servo, not the PL) just unnecessary.....

Keep up the good work

Pete

BARCS1702

Ya gotta get up early in the morning to catch Graham out!!

Really not sure what to do, leave them or chop them off and glue some new ones on the right way round without the mod looking obvious.

Could build the extended span tips, might be easier.

Electrics seem to work fine despite the age.

Hi Graham and Gary

obvious? yes indeed, but deliberate? I dont think so....

Hack em off Gary! Try to see what caused the mistake

You might try swapping the left tip with the right one....then you'd have both tips backwards and upside down! - no, surely there had to be a reason for such a mistake - it's worth sawing off the tip at the join with the wing tip outer to try to find a reason - no?

Aren't you just a little bit curious?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

I picked it up from the builder and he was quite shocked when I pointed out the faux pas!

It's clear enough which way round they go on the plan.

Who hasn't made two left hand fuselage sides?!!

Chopping them off and carefully sanding back to the end rib that they butt to would not be too difficult but blending new tips in without disturbing the nice tissue and paint job with sandpaper could be tricky. I probably couldn't match the paint either.

If it drives me nuts I'll do something about it.

The Hi-Phase tip is near identical (unsurprisingly!), this one is the right way round! :thumbsup:

PictureorVideo206_zps84a2c16c.jpg

Hi Jef and Gary

You CAN remove tips "surgically" (i.e. cleanly) at their join with the wing and cover it(them) up with a band of electrical tape of a contrasting colour

The thing is, as your pic of the Hi-Phase tips show, the builder must have sanded the tip blocks AFTER fitting to not see his mistake, if he'd sanded and tapered them first it would have been immediately obvious what he was about to do wrongly.....

Anyway, cosidering the anti-wortex shape of Foss designed tips you should/would see an improvement in performance/flying qualitiy immediately - don't you think?

Get 'em off Gary!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

I don't know how others do it but I make the tips separately (a plan form sandwich cut to the basic shape with a scroll saw) and then glue them to the end rib, then carve and sand them.

Just before gluing them to the wing end rib I square the mating face with a disc sander, this ensures there is no gap and also that they have no unintended dihedral or anhedral (assuming the sander table is square!). 

Some of Chris's plans show tips laminated with thin ply and some don't. It's a good idea as the thin bit (normally at the trailing edge!) can be very fragile and doesn't like being smashed into the kitchen ceiling Artex (ask me how I know!!).

This is a laminated tip from my dear departed Multi Phase.

PictureorVideo073_zpsb6224e69.jpg

PictureorVideo074_zpsb7c7e22a.jpg

An idle thought that I aired at the recent committee meeting was the possibility of a 'classic fun-fly' at Radioglide, most likely after one of the main events in the late afternoon/early evening.

If there is any interest then please chime in here or PM me as I said I would organise it if there was enough response.

Bungees and/or hand tow allowed!

Cheers

Gary

Some pics sent to me by Pete Beadle, with a request for me to post them here...

Top left is a Bird of Time. Then there is a Proper Proton and Flair Sunrise.

Underneath those pics is a pic of a Trilogy7 and an Algebra 100S.

Thanks for the pics Peter.

Jef

In lineage, the Trlogy in the picture is actually a 2 and is the original as built by me in 1978 and preserved in aspic up to his death in 2009 by Dave Mason

Of interest Jef, the Trilogy 7 was what got you into the hobby in the mid 90's when you had a go of it when we first met at Flambirds where you had a go on the sticks. Picture of the 7 version attached which Nigel Dell still flies.

post-1732-0-59868300-1390946338_thumb.jp

Thanks Brian.

Pete supplied me with the info and I merely posted it. Should have gone to you for verification first :lol: .

Just for the record though, Dad, Gary and I had been flying r/c together for a year or so with three models of Dad's 2m AboGoJo design (and others, including towing up my enlarged Merlin with an r/c car), and we were already all hooked before I ever came over to Flambirds. An unforgettable memory though, was seeing your Trilogy 7 on that mid 90's day - the first time I had seen a full house thermal soarer in the air and in the flesh. The flat centre section looked very purposeful and it almost looked as though it was drooping down towards the tips, as the sleek black/green model made it's way stealthily, effortlessly, back to the centre of the field at Flambirds.

Thanks for selling us the last of the Trilogy 6 kits, we still have two of the three in the shed (probably still flyable with the addition of some new batteries)!

Thanks Brian.

Pete supplied me with the info and I merely posted it. Should have gone to you for verification first :lol: .

Just for the record though, Dad, Gary and I had been flying r/c together for a year or so with three models of Dad's 2m AboGoJo design (and others, including towing up my enlarged Merlin with an r/c car), and we were already all hooked before I ever came over to Flambirds. An unforgettable memory though, was seeing your Trilogy 7 on that mid 90's day - the first time I had seen a full house thermal soarer in the air and in the flesh. The flat centre section looked very purposeful and it almost looked as though it was drooping down towards the tips, as the sleek black/green model made it's way stealthily, effortlessly, back to the centre of the field at Flambirds.

Thanks for selling us the last of the Trilogy 6 kits, we still have two of the three in the shed (probably still flyable with the addition of some new batteries)!

I had not realised that you had flown before, but it became apparent I suppose as you flew the Trilogy with ease.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had my own little nostalgia day today, the Hi-Phase and Centi-Phase had an airing plus the first flight of the Phase Lift (in my hands).

A top tip with the Phase Lift is to fit the tip panel wire joiners, it's a lot stronger with them!! Just a bit of rigging unfamiliarity that I spotted well before it got launched. Although it is balanced on the design point test hand glides seemed to show it was nose heavy and this was confirmed in the air, might just move the battery back a bit.

Launched on a short bungee fine, I think the releasable hook will have to go as it won't take decent size rings. The ratio of rudder to aileron mechanical coupling doesn't seem quite right (too much rudder) but it flew quite well. The backward wingtips don't seem to bother it but it does look odd!

Cheers

Gary

P4158236_zps7c039bb6.jpg 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Great to see this lovely "Fossery" actually being used as it should be

I was at Ivinghoe yesterday when a couple of our members decided the weather was perfect for their "Nostalgia Day Specials"

I took my new BOT, Terry Sharp aired his Graupner "Cirrus" and Jim Wright his "Graduate 100S" on a day where the wind came and went from NE to E and fluctuated from NIL to 6/7 MPH and real sink interspersed the sight(s) of everyone present doing their party tricks of "specking out"

You know you've had a good day when two out of three of the "oldies" were wishing they had airbrakes and were considering fitting brakes specially for this season

Several "walks of shame" but we won't mention those!

Oh, and a gorgeous Red Kite showing us where the low-level lift was, challenging us to follow him as he circled, stiff-winged, tail working overtime initially under the edge of the NE slope and popping up every now and then as if to say "Come on lads! This is how you do it!"

Brilliant day

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

It was a good day, a bit chilly to start with and the wind was fresh. My friend's field is surrounded by a tall hedge with trees further upwind (whatever direction it is!) which causes low level turbulence, had the Hi-Phase on its side with full opposite rudder more than once!

I have a ModelAir Graduate kit in the loft, untouched apart from I nicked the snakes out of it. Was given to me a couple of years ago.

Was tipped off yesterday that there is a Chris Foss Ridge Royalist on eBay at the mo, some crossed wires there as it doesn't have 'Phase' in the name! Solent Sailplanes I think. Had a look, very similar to the Hi-Phase.

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Yep, you're right

It's probably not a Foss-il but a Solent Sailplanes "Royalist"

They're big, well kitted and have very nice white glass fuselages - check everything carefully for warps and you could get a "bargin" (as E-bayers now call them, I believe)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Got too many already!!

Just found half a church roof glued into the nose floor of the Phase Lift, removed without too much pain. I can increase the aileron sensitivity by just using the inner hole on the horn.

In my excitement yesterday I forgot that it had flaps that I can play with (well, a trimmable trailing edge).

Nice to read about BARCS members enjoying flying their nostalgic models on this thread. A great development.

Please continue to do so!

With a bit of luck I hope to get to air one or two of my nostalgic models during the evenings next week.

Good to hear about you getting out Pete, do Terry and Jim visit this thread? If so, any chance of them posting photos of their models? If they're not BARCS members then my decision to keep this thread here (in the members section) was wrong, and agree it should be moved to the wider audience.

:)

Jef

• Austin pinned this topic