BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

pete beadle

Hi Jef

No, sorry, neither Jim Wright nor Terry Sharp are BARCS members

Instead of changing the placing of this thread couldn't you just open one in the non-members area as well for non-members to post their pics?

This wouldn't detract from members posting and might just encourage some new members.....

Just a thought

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Hi Jef

No, sorry, neither Jim Wright nor Terry Sharp are BARCS members

Instead of changing the placing of this thread couldn't you just open one in the non-members area as well for non-members to post their pics?

This wouldn't detract from members posting and might just encourage some new members.....

Just a thought

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Or someone could encourage them to join. :thumbsup:

Just a thought

Graham

• Like 1
pete beadle

Hi Grahame

Perhaps you could suggest a script I could use to put this encouragement into words?.....

To guys who've not entered any competitions (except indoor) for over 30 years, whose eyesight is failing, whose reflexes are "not what they were", can't afford the mouldie they'll need to get them in the upper half of the results table, can't even afford the petrol to go to any comps outside their home county from their pensions, and who'd rather be visiting their grandchildren on a Sunday......

All suggestions welcome (and that's not heavily loaded with sarcasm I promis you)

(AND excepting the suggestion that "you don't HAVE to do comps, do you?" - thereby ignoring the fact that doing comps was the reason BARCS was formed by their contemporaries all those years ago, and they know that they're just not competitive any more.......)

pps I'm NOT including Jim and Terry as examples in this request for assistance.....

Just a thought

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Perhaps it's a subject for another thread Pete? I will take your thoughts onboard as the association's public relations man. I'm particularly interested in getting youngsters involved, prizing them away from their Xboxes and Playstations is not easy as our 17 year-old son is proving!!

Off out again to try the Phase Lift with adjusted C of G.

Is this Jim's Graduate? I have quite a few photos from the Ivinghoe Nostalgia Day in September 2010.  

PictureorVideo005_zps98da2c5b.jpg 

Peter

There are a number of BARCS members who no longer compete. You yourself are not as active competitively as in previous years. It’s a bit like saying I don't build, so I don't visit the Model Engineering Expo, just to look. :drool:

It doesn't stop them recognising or wishing to be part of the work that BARCS continue to do in support of RC Soaring both nationally and internationally.

It’s their way of giving funding to UK Teams that represent their passion.

They appreciate the efforts the organisation goes to in keeping the website in place. Yes I know it’s primarily the work of one person but without the brand, it might never have been conceived.

They want to give back to a hobby that they have loved for many years.

They like the sense of community

No BARCS, no more Soaring Market.

It costs less than a few bits of balsa.

pete beadle

Hi Jef

Good luck with the prising...

Yep, that's JimW's "Graduate" and both he and Terry attend Nostalgia Day year after year with their models they were flying Tuesday

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Jef Ott

Thanks for all the ideas about which area of the Barcs Forum the Nostalgia Pictures should sit in. 

Think we will keep this thread here for BARCS Members, for the time being, if anyone fancies throwing some pics into a "Not Necessarily Members" thread elsewhere, I certainly have no objections, and may even slip the odd entry into it myself. 

BTW Pete, gradually getting the Electric Thermik Excel sorted, have been mould-making and vacuum forming (first attempts at this art) and heat moulding a servo cover/ linkage fairing today for the v-tail servos which are now mounted in the tailplane. Might have it flying tomorrow as I have just been relieved of the grand-children baby-sitting duties I was down for.

Best regards,

Jef

Jef Ott

... Might have it flying tomorrow as I have just been relieved of the grand-children baby-sitting duties I was down for.

Best regards,

Jef

My wife and I needed to go over and see the grandchildren after all, but two hours of that was enough for both of us.

So at 2pm I was finishing the modifications / tidying the Thermik Excel.

Arrived at my favourite flat field for Northerly winds (Bartletts Farm), at about 3pm, had a couple of trimming flights (and re-tightened the prop collet, luckily it just moved forward half an inch on the shaft during the first launch to 150m, so I didn't lose it off the end), then the wind picked up and the lift got stronger with it.

Flying until the cold got right through my jacket and trousers, I only needed another four flights after that to completely satisfy my air thermal desires.

Managed to get the Thermik up to around 2500ft, and even risked a roll or two on the way down, but the real joy in flying this one is the effortless and efficient penetration, so following lift a long way downwind and always getting back, without use of the power train, then getting away again, put a smile on my face many times.

Going down to the South Downs with my 3m Calypso Contest T tomorrow. Loving Easter!

Jef

Jef Ott

Not sure what year the winglets appeared on the Thermik C / what year the Excel was introduced. May not be relevant in this thread - can anyone enlighten me please?

Jef

post-1722-0-74509500-1397850991_thumb.jp

Jef Ott

Flew both the 3m and 3.3m variants of the Calypso Contest this evening - off the winch. Still struggling towards getting the bigger one flying as nicely as the small one, but that is exactly what makes flying so entertaining for me.

Had a big grin on my face on the way home!

• Like 1
pete beadle

Hi Jef

Good luck with the 3.3 version

I had both the 2.9 and 3.3 versions for several years and I couldn't!

I understand that "oop nerth" the fitted tip joiners with a greater dihedral to "cure" theirs, it left a gap on the underside of the tip panel(s) where they joined the centre panel but these northern chappies are nothing if not super-practical and taped the undersides of the joint gap with tape to cover it/them up

It made for a very odd wing shape in the air but cured the "lumpiness" in the turn

Basically, everyone I knew who flew the 3.3 "un-modded" considered it a hard work when thermal circling, it tended to pitch out of the circle all the time and refused to fly with a constant angle of bank

No, the 3.3 was acknowledged at the time to be 40 cm too far......and not a patch on the little 'un!

Now, the Thermic "C" on the other hand, circled as if on rails!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1
Jef Ott

Thanks for this info Pete.

I know exactly what you mean about the model pitching out of the turn - I thought that was just poor piloting!

Before getting the 3.3m - in fact, before I got any confidence with the small one, I was sure I had remembered that there was a wing joiner with some added dihedral, but was told otherwise on here. 

And yes, the Thermic C is much like the Excel, if it circles as if on rails too!

Wanted - some dihedral increasing wing joiners!!!!!

Jef

pete beadle

Hi Jef

I think you'll have trouble getting wing joiners that are the right combination of sizes(width,depth,dihedral angle, length of joiner in each wing panel etc)

The guy I spoke to about them made his own!

Not because of any objection to parting with "t'brass" but because it was easier, I hasten to add!

He made his joiners from laminated printed circuit board after making a ply pattern first, so he could get all the sizes right in an easily workable medium, before the hard graft of cutting and shaping epoxy board

So, if you make a dihedral brace in ply thats the right shape then make half a dozen from that pattern, laminate them together to get the right sliding fit then make sure everything fits to each critical measurement, then make the PCB version (NOT using coppered PCB) laminated together with slow drying epoxy, you should quickly (and easily) make the "Jef version"

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

Jef Ott

Sounds like a plan Pete!

As it happens I have a good stock of 1/8th lite ply and a good stock of glass board.

Disappearing for a couple of weeks, but will make a start when I return.

Jef

• 3 weeks later...
Jef Ott

Back from hols and the angled joiner making has begun. First is complete. Parts all cut for second.

I had to file a small bevel on one of the wing tip location dowels, so that the now angled tip would go all the way home, and touch the end of the centre panel.

post-1722-0-41599300-1399839338_thumb.jp

oipigface

... the hard graft of cutting and shaping epoxy board

.... the hard graft of cutting and shaping epoxy board

Cutting and shaping epoxy board doesn't have to be hard graft if you use a Dremel cutting wheel for the cutting, and a powered bench sander for straight and convex edges. Concave edges can be a bit of challenge, but it is nearly always possible to find a Permagrit file that will do the job.

• Like 1
Jef Ott

... the hard graft of cutting and shaping epoxy board

Cutting and shaping epoxy board doesn't have to be hard graft if you use a Dremel cutting wheel for the cutting, and a powered bench sander for straight and convex edges. Concave edges can be a bit of challenge, but it is nearly always possible to find a Permagrit file that will do the job.

... or a Proxxon Circular Saw and a sanding block for the final fitting.  

pete beadle

Hi Jef and Oipigface

I've always found any power tools to be a liability because they always magnify my "little mistakes" - one pass of a sanding block produces much less unintentional damage than one press of the button too many on a power tool.....

still, I was brought up working soft wood, not space-age materials.....and these days I don't mind slow....

it's all good relaxing therapy - Quick nurse the screens!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1
Jef Ott

Tested the polyhedral CC Plus this evening.

Only got two very short flights though.

This was down to

• lack of time (work commitments - got to drive to Leeds this evening),
  • bad wind direction - meaning only a short winch line could be used - and
  • the line knot coming undone on the 'chute).

Thanks for the tip Pete. The Calypso Contest Plus turns better now than it did with straight dihedral, but I am still not sure I like it, it seems "ungainly". The model may grow on me when I get some proper launches and some more stick time, and I am probably trying to fly it too slowly.

Looking forward to trying out the v-tail electric version though.

Jef

pete beadle

Hi Jef

I'm sorry to say this it but I don't think you'll EVER get the 3.3 to circle really smoothly

It's something to do with the way Model Technology made their wings way back then, in F3B in those days the strength and  "anti-twist"had to go right to the tips, that meant, inevitably, so did the weight, that was OK for F3B then, but not the newer moulded F3J designs that were coming in - they had tapered tips that were thinner and lighter and made them easier to circle consistently.

Suffice it to say, all these problems were ironed out with the appearance of the Calypso Cobra which was lighter, smaller and MUCH more nimble and easier to circle smoothly 

The Calypso 3.3 was  just .4 metres too far, the tips were unnecessarily heavy, and the plane had to be flown faster all the time, just as the newer ones could be flown more slowly and circled more smoothly

Sure, the increased tip dihedral helped. but didn't remove the weight at the tips, so it didn't solve the problem 100%, the change to the Cobra stopped the need to try and tame the 3.3 and I don't think anyone shed a tear at the passing of the "big'un"

Good luck though, at least you've got a "little'un" to fall back on.....

Now, I wonder where you might find a good Cobra?.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1
  • Austin pinned this topic