BARCS Open / 100S models of Yesteryear (Pre-2000)

Jef Ott

On 16/09/2015 at 22:55, Jef said:

Next project is a Xantia, for which I already have a few bits and pieces including 4 wing panels and a crumpled fuselage.

360 days since I made the above comment, today I have finally made a very small start on the XantEa. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Xantia will be getting a GliderDrive 1120kv motor, as one has become available (through some bad flying on my part) and the tail surface servos will be mounted in the fin.  

This is not a huge variation on the original layout, as the elevator servo was always mounted in the fin anyway. But I am now torn between lightweight and reliability, as tails should always be built light... but the original rudder servo would have been a "standard" servo of the period. 

This one will now be using a 14gram MG92B Towerpro servo on the rudder, in the fin, with a Volz ZIP servo on elevator. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made some Nostalgia today - my Son, Gary, stirring the sticks to good effect on the XantEa in wonderfully calm but mildly thermic conditions. Gary's Pic of XantEa.jpg  IMG_0337.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
John Minchell

Just joined and thorougly enjoyed this thread.  Used to fly with Pete's Hemsworth and Beadle on the Beacon.

Restoring a Stu Blanchard Calypso 6 that I traded decades ago from Pete Beadle and also a Brian Cooper Frankinstein I think (4M polyhedral with flaps and ailerons and barn door brakes) which I rescued from Dave Jones' bin (the QFI editor) after he crashed it on the line.

Jef - like you I am working on an electro Calypso Contest Plus (with the large tails) so your tune up tips on joiner dihedral and CG position are timely.

John M

Hi John

Glad to see you are still flying nowadays. for your info both PeteH and myself are still flying "oldies but goodies" at Ivinghoe. Have you had time to rejoin the ISA yet? Please consider it. Also. I'm still running ISA Nostalgia Day. (this year on Saturday 14th September 2019), please put that date in your diary, if you will

Now you've joined the BARCS forum I'm looking forward to hearing what you've been up to as regards model flying since we last met and spoke

Hope to see you, preferably at Ivinghoe, after we've got the winter weather out of the way:)

Pic is last year's Nostalgia Day line-up.........my Eliminator 134  second from right, held for me by Bill Blanchard......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Group photo for Nostalgia Day 2018.JPG

John Minchell

Hi Pete

I've continued flying, but moved back up to Shrewsbury in 2001 to look after my mother.  I can see the Long Mynd from my back window and I also fly with the Clwyd SA.

I have been heavily involved in the scale scene over the last few years.  I organise the BMFA Indoor Nats (both FF and RC) and sit on the scale tech committee. 

Was one of the team managers for the UK scale team at last year's WC in Switzerland, but want to get back into some thermal flying and comps before I get too old to do it.

Yes I'd like to come down to the nostalgia day on the Beacon - its in my diary, maybe come down for a weekend to meet up with some old friends & fly before then.

Cheers John M

Hi John and/or Jef

There's a chap on BMFA Classifieds who's asking if anyone out there wants a set of Calypso travel bags for a quid......he's in Worcestershire BTW:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• 1 year later...
Sebartflyer

2 100 inch models bought for "nowt" to refurbish. Both unknown models. Also in the pipeline a Bridi Models Big Birdy. I like 2 channel thermal soarers. 

IMG_20200801_101944.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Got these two out of the loft yesterday. Technically the Pike has been flying for the last couple of years, but not with the Pike Plus wing tips and bigger V tail - they have been in the loft with the Eliminator 134 for the last 20+ years.

After changing the Eliminator over to 2.4GHz, it was off to Moel Famau for some flying. Eliminator first - straight up, with lift seemingly everywhere. After 40 minutes or so, I landed, and launched the Pike Plus. By now the wind had more or less died, so I shouldn't have been to surprised to find myself languishing 50m below eye level scratching for lift. Anyway, after a few tense minutes, I managed to find a bubble and climb out. Very rewarding!

IMG_20210330_152145.thumb.jpg.587150c3fe03b1e58a26b8a9708f12f1.jpg

The sticker on the wing of the Eliminator is from Radioglide in 1999. The model was built in 1996, and on it's second outing in Radioglide in West Malling in Kent suffered a mid-air collision with a full house model in my second slot. I had won the first slot, and didn't have a second model, so that put paid to my competing that weekend. Several weeks later, sporting a new centre section, I took it to the Scottish Nationals in Petreavie (sp?).

@knewt will recognise both these models. The Pike / Pike Plus was his, and I have used the Eliminator on the slopes in South Wales in the summer months many moons ago.

Edit: I should say as well that I flew the Eliminator in BARCS Open events. I was living in South Wales at the time, and Upton on Severn was the closest competition to home.

Edited by paulj
Added a comment to link relevance to thread!!