Phil_G

Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

Could someone take this pic of Baildon moor, annotate it with slope directions and parking places and re-post it please?
Ta very much
Cheers
Phil

post-2046-0-56410200-1366016583_thumb.jp

Royski

Pm sent

Roy

Phil_G

All sorted, thanks very much Roy!

RGPuk

Yo Phil! Just missed you at Filey Brigg last week - but Baildon is a regular for Roy and me, so we look forward to meeting up with you soon.

People can be very dismissive of Baildon - but pick the right days for its prime spots and it can deliver damn good flying sessions.

Ro.

Phil_G

I'm assuming it has better slopes than Great Preston  :D  :D  :D

I'm spoiled cos I'm an SSA member, but always looking for different locations.  Baildon is 30 miles from me so worth a punt!

What I find difficult is working out where the ridge tops are on google maps satellite pics of Baildon. The terrain option doesnt really help, in fact it shows that the west slope is flat!

Is it like a big hill-fort?

We do Donington Park frequently (we're trackday addicts) and from there you can see what looks like a huge hillfort not too far away, always promised myself I'd have a reccy one day, might be Breedon or Stanton under Bardon.

Cheers

Phil

RGPuk

The Baildon slopes are certainly better defined and appointed than Great Preston. The prime spots are the W (best with a touch of N), the lower car park (N with some E component) and the E (works well even when slightly crossed from either direction). The car park is the most defined 'edge', the W the next, whereas the E is the least defined but still a good height increase, simply over a larger area.

I've regularly and most satisfactorily flown anything from a Weasel to an F3f Sting from all of them - and they all have more than adequate and forgiving landing areas - althought the car park is the most restricted with care needed to avoid walkers and their dogs.

Clearly I would have a favourable view of Baildon, as it's effectively my local site only a short drive from home, and the place I first started soaring in the 70's. Negative comments usually come from those that visit only occasionally, often in less than suitable conditions, and expect a soaring treasure of the standard of Horcum and the like. The biggest whinge is usually about the proximity of a minor power line across a very small part of the W face. I treat it like some trees - and automatically fly where it isn't.

Pick your day (the Bingley forecast on the Met site works best for W, Baildon forecast for N and E) and give the place a try. Moan some people might - but I'd bet most slopers would love a similar place on their doorstep.

Ro.

• Like 1

RGPuk

Too late to edit for a PS - but the 'huge hillfort' near Donnington is most likely to be Breedon Priory, formerly known as St. Mary and St. Hardulph, sat atop it's hill overlooking the quarry.

http://www.benefice.org.uk/breedon_church/

Ro.

Phil_G

>>I'd bet most slopers would love a similar place on their doorstep

Not half - thats why I'm chuffed to bits having discovered Great Preston, poor as it is!

I'll certainly be giving Baildon a try, I really enjoy flying somewhere different.

Phil_G

Forgot to say, all being well I'll be at GP tomorrow just after six!

Phil_G

Was up at GP between 6:45 & 7:30pm tonight, and wow was it blowing!   Wind was 30° off the slope so not ideal, strange to be scratting around for lift in a gale!  Once again during slight lulls lift was noticably better, it seems to be one of those hills that blows itself out over a certain speed.  Ceiling seems to be about 100 feet regardless, but then its so shallow, maybe you're over the wave at that.  The gulls were doing no better and they were peddling like hell !
Great fun and so convenient - park up, through the gate, walk a few yards up the path, switch on, throw. Marvellous.
Back to work now!
Cheers
Phil

Royski

What were you flying in that wind a Jart lead sled?

Roy

Phil_G

Just a standard SAS Wildy, no ballast Roy.

Always a balance between pushing out & losing height - so a few unintentional landings, all ok tho.

Stupot46

I think I've found a site for my maiden flight(if I ever get that far:( ) across the valley from my abode.I've often wondered if these slopes would be flyable,then the other day I spotted a para-glider tacking back and forth along the valley.Access looks ok,with a bit of luck the landowner will be amenable.

post-2727-136800191315_thumb.jpg

post-2727-136800194417_thumb.jpg

Dave Elam

I think I've found a site for my maiden flight(if I ever get that far:( ) across the valley from my abode.I've often wondered if these slopes would be flyable,then the other day I spotted a paraglider tacking back and forth along the valley.Access looks ok,with a bit of luck the landowner will be amenable.

Hey, are you a Huddersfield man? If so can I point you in the direction the Huddersfield Club of which I'm a member and also Slope Rep. The club has access to quite a few good slopes south of Huddersfield and there is a very active sloping section in the club.

Incidentally I have flown on Dalton Bank in the past although these days most of it is covered with trees.

Have a look at www.hdmac.co.uk for more details about the club.

Cheers

Dave

Stupot46

Hi Dave.I've every intention of joining,probably as soon as I have something to fly!Life has been a bit too hectic of late,but I have discussed joining when I've called in at Airtek in Honley.

Re Dalton bank,I need to have a walk up there and have a look.Did you contact anyone re access?

Stuart

Dave Elam

I flew from the area that is public access. There's a car park which then has lots of footpaths meandering through the wooded area. It is quite a while since I flew there and I suspect it's a lot trickier due to the trees.

Don't forget Castle Hill too although you do have to watch out for tourists/general public up there. The NW and SE slopes work fairly well though.

Club membership fee is only £20 at the moment plus you'd need BMFA membership including insurance that you really should have too if you're out flying on other people's land and in public spaces.

Rooster-X

Anybody fancy Levisham tomorrow?

Phil_G

Anyone up for Callow, Sheffield tomorrow (Tues) ?
Cheers
Phil

Nightshade

I'm just getting into soaring and I think this is the closest place to me.

Did anyone label up that map in the first post? Would be great to know where to go as I'm thinking of checking this site out tomorrow or Sunday. I don't have a slope soarer as such - just a Radian and a Thunder Tiger Whisper - but thought I could probably fly either here?

Royski

Forecast for this weekend is SSW & S, not the best wind direction for Baildon IMO, that wil put you at the back of the carvan park over looking the Glen Rd.

Wind West to WNW fly from top of the hill overlooking Glen Rd and Bingley Rd junction, with the caravan park directly to your left.

East wind slope will fly over the reservoir (or at least thats what it was until they started digging it up) with Baildon village on your right.

There is also a north slope which is the carpark on the right as you come out of Baildon and over the cattle grid.

Your Radian will fly the lighter winds, I am not familiar with the Tiger Whisper