Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

There are a few sites you might want to consider, there is Nont Sarahs for Southerly winds this is overlooking March Haigh reservoir on the A640 New Hey Rd (park/fly from the carpark at the A640/B6114 junction), I have to say this is not one of my favorite slopes it does produce some very good lift but it does also get busy and it attracts a lot of paragliders, it is also a club site and the few times I have been up some of the locals have actively discouraged me from flying rather than encouraging me to join the club, I would however encourage you to make your own decision as I may have caught them on an off day.

Had I not been working this weekend I would have been going to The Hole of Horcum (on the Pickering to Whitby road) as the slope there in a southerly is really good, there is also a north facing slope and a west facing slope that is nearby overlooking Levisham train station,.

This is also a club site (http://nymrsc.org.uk/) membership is £20 per year and includes insurance, I personally have found all the members to be top guys, very encouraging and supportive

Site map http://nymrsc.org.uk/Assets/docs/Current-Map%202013b.pdf

Good website for scoping out the wind conditions and directions http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcxt28mct#?fcTime=1411772400

Nont Sarahs (actually the site is called Buckstones) is NT land and a number of local clubs formed the Marsden Moor Soaring Association to be able to use the site. It isn't actually a 'club' site as such but you do need to be a member of either the MMSA or one of the affiliate clubs to fly there. Not good that you weren't encouraged to join though although as we all know there some odd folk out there!

Not sure where you live but there is the Huddersfield Club too that has the private use of a few slopes. More details here http://www.hdmac.co.uk/

.............................................. Not good that you weren't encouraged to join though although as we all know there some odd folk out there! ................................

Indeed there are, I've got a thick skin though so it did not bother me or put me off, I would though encourage anyone to make up there own mind about said slope and not be put off by my little rant.

The slope fraternity are a good bunch and to only bump into a couple of misery guts over a 3 year period is probably not a bad ratio.

Nightshade I will drop you a PM next time we are on Baildon and you can meet up if it suits

Roy

Anyone tried Beamsley Beacon? Looks like good parking and lots of lines nice and close together on the OS map, facing West.

I think the land is a right to roam, free for all type jobbie...

Anyone tried Beamsley Beacon? Looks like good parking and lots of lines nice and close together on the OS map, facing West.

I think the land is a right to roam, free for all type jobbie...

yep beamsley is a recognised site, best in a WNW direction

• 4 weeks later...

I got up early and flew Went Hill for the first time on Monday morning, about 5 miles from home.

The wind was bang on, SW at maybe 15-20 and the lift was pretty good. Had a couple of wrestles with some kind of hawk which was fun.  Since I was last up there for a recce (without a model) the Farmer has barb-wire fenced his field at the top of the hill. actually along the ridge, so where slope landings were preferred, they're now essential.  Walking further north along the ridge, after about 10yds of trees theres another clearing, tried that too, not so much lift and quite narrow but open at the back, no barbed wire.

As a comparison, the slopes between the wooded areas are a bit like the North slope over the house at the Tinkers replacement site, not very high or wide but quite steep and clean right from the horizon.

Access to Went Hill is either by parking at the bottom and a hard slog up the hill, or a long walk through the woods from the Wentbridge road.  The whole ridge is a long public footpath.

post-2046-0-87829900-1414193915_thumb.jp

Cheers

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Went up to Baildon  this morning , 25mph wind at times . Phase 6 failed pre flight check , another bad multiplex connection so just flew Speedo. Nice session in the sunshine and not on my own for once. A gent flying his home made foam Gnat and trying out his new HK rx and tx (under £50 delivered)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Mobius camera and keen to try it out. I went to Baildon west yesterday . My Phase 6 still needed a connection repaired so putting camera on my Weasel was the only option given the wind strength. The Weasel struggle to make headway.

I switched to my Speedo which was great . It was late afternoon and I was constantly flying into the sun. After a few minutes I gave up. I had the slope to myself again. A shame.

Where are all the guys that used to fly there ?

Hi Paul, looking at where you were flying there must have been a fair bit of South in the wind direction(not the best for Baildon, due to the overhead wires) that may have kept a few people away.

To be honest  Baildon is fairly local for me but having experienced other slopes (Horcum/Hawes) that give much more consistent positive lift I am more inclined to travel a bit further for my slope fix.

Don't get me wrong Baildon is good on a good day but I have started to pick my flying sites more carefully and only go to Baildon if It is nailed on for a good session rather than going all the time and hoping for the best

Roy

I went up to Baildon early evening on Sunday to find very tricky conditions which even foxed the Gulp SR at times. (joined by John and later Keith). Wind was veering WSW-West. Lots of positive thermal activity which was producing some equally large holes to drop into. I was constantly altering the Ballast load to get the best from the Gulp. I'm now starting to get my head around the whole ballast thing which makes for easier flying in variable conditions. 

Edited by RamJam 53

• 1 month later...

There were just a couple of hang-gliders Roy, they mostly kept away from us, otherwise a brilliant day, the busiest I've ever seen it up there. Not crowded but plenty going on.  We flew till about 6pm when the light was getting a bit 'silhouetty' and the wind had swung a bit east. 
Met some interesting flyers, one who like me builds his own gear, and another who teaches airline pilots to fly!
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers
Phil

Sounds like a you had a good day Phil, Horcum was much the same weather wise but not as busy.

I have been to Nonts a few times but always had a frosty reception (been kind with that comment) from some a couple of the locals, I have flown quite a few slopes and this is the only one where I have not been meet with a friendly hello, more of a "your not one of our gang bugger off" attitude.

Shame really as it is a good slope

There is one who is well known for the frosty reception he gives but the rest of the crowd have been great Roy.

Its only £5 per year and I always take proof of MMSA membership just in case.

Then again, if I forget, he MMSA's website gallery has my pics and there's a link from there to my own site!

I do find the mutual disregard between RC flyers and hang-gliders quite worrying. I'm convinced some of the really fast mouldie beat-ups are intended to intimidate them, they scare the cr4p out of me!  Personally I would rather come down as soon as they go up.  But overall they're a nice bunch and its a great site. We should meet up on the next Southerly, that would be good.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 months later...

Roy, at HoH how do you get to the West-ish/North-ish slopes? I looked for a path from the south slope (first patch on the path) but couldnt see a way without trampling.
I have the club info-sheet which says park on Braygate Lane, I've not checked but on the map it looks quite tight, is there room for a camper?

Cheers
Phil

Phil,

The west slope is Levisham, it is best with a bit of south in it, you can head round the ridge to fly wnw but I have never found it to be that good, it will fly but is usually a bit lumpy.

The parking is at the end of Braygate lane from which you walk/follow the path along the walled off fields on your right, eventually taking a right turn which takes you to the top of the hill, it is a little further to walk than if you parked at the bottom of the hill (follow signs for Levisham station) but it is all flat so an easier walk.

As the lane you park on is a dead end you will need to turn your vehicle round to get out, it is an easy 3 or 4 point turn for a car and I have seen transit and small camper type vans there before so as long as your camper is not of the Valantino Rossi variety you should be ok

Levisham is a good slope when the conditions are on with a large rock free landing area, it can sometime suffer from roter so be prepared to walk back a bit for a smooth landing