Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

Flew at Baildon this morning with my new transmitter mitt from T9hobbysport, (about the only thing I can afford from there that I want ) . Any way you've all anticipated the issue of getting the launch hand back into the mitt.  I tried at home first so knew it was coming and it wasn't too bad.  I've got away with really thin gloves in the past but a mitt seems like a good solution.  If combined with one of those belly shelf board things  I think it would be a great combo.  I flew my Jamara Ash 26 and it was fine.  After the second flight someone's giddy puppy came and jumped on my glider . There ensued a nasty name calling session with its owners which spoilt my mood. I decided to pack up.  When I got to the car I changed my mind and had a good session with my converted Lidl chuck glider.  I flew it into my self while trying to catch it, but didn't drop it so that counts as my first catch 😁

Paul

I have a transmitter mitt and fly mode 1, so also have the challenge to get my had in quick enough. One suggestion I had, but haven't yet implemented for myself - have an additional mixer and mix aileron with the rudder during the launch phase, and then I can fly with the left thumb while getting my right hand into the mitt.

All the above are great until you need two hands to launch a scale ship from the slope. 

Then for me it's gloves all the way with a transmitter tray and no launch /mix switch to toggle off, I have thought about mitts before but never committed to a purchase before the warmer weather came. 

Gareth. 

How are you doing Gareth, have you been out flying lately.

The last time we met was on the east slope with your newish Mandarin.

Ey up John

Not been doing much, mainly the mandarin on light days, but starting again when weather allows. 

Currently building an unknown (or barely unknown/remembered) 3 metre f3f cross tail called Manta by oravamodel. Sk. 

Hope you're well. 

I was looking at the video of that day on the east slope just the other day. 

Hope to see you about mate. 

I went up to Nont's today. Blowing 20-30 mph gusting to 35 at the edge. Back in the landing area 15-20 mph.  I failed to launch my HK Speedy properly with enough force and it got pushed down right at the edge , caught a wing and the dowel that holds the front of the wing into the fuz. broke loose. Very minor damaged but no glue with me so a repair for home.  Then Speedo and this time I gave it such a good chuck I think I sprained my side a bit !!! Anyway up up and away.  Lots of strong smooth lift and able to do anything I wanted.  I didn't do any low close passes because I was concerned the wind could push the glider too close to the ridge edge.  It was great ,but after quite a while I thought I should explore the landing conditions. I was expecting to fly through but landed.  with very little ground speed and about 3 ft off the ground  I went over a large lump and the glider got flipped over on to its back . The only damaged was to the tape that forms the rudder hinge . I had things to do this afternoon so retired. A short session by most peoples standards I guess, but it was very good on the whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Was up at Nonts with Shaun Saturday 23rd Feb, had a brilliant day - a good blow and no jellyfish.  Flew the "Little-V" again and it was first time out for a Lidl glider I converted a year ago!   The Lidl glider was astonishing, really brilliant fun, effortless twinkle rolls & inverted,  much more capable flyer than I ever imagined. 
I also took a very nostalgic re-creation for its maiden, all will be revealed in the next RCM&E  😀

The next day (Sunday 24th) XC showed easterlies so I went to Callow (Sheffield) and it was barely above flat calm, nothing - but beautiful sunshine and hoards of random punters everywhere.  Had a few really scratchy attempts with the reeds Impala then went for a walk over the hills instead.

Due west tomorrow, might venture over to Baildon!

Cheers
Phil

IMG_20190224_140152.jpg

Hi Pete, thank you that sounds brilliant. It is quite a way but if I could make a weekend of it, find a campsite... 
I dont know if you're aware but our group is pure nostalgia -  I do emulation encoders for single-channel,  reeds,
galloping ghost, pulse... and refits of 'back in the day' propo sets.  Have a look on http://www.singlechannel.co.uk 
if you're interested in the good old bad old days of R/C   😉   
We also have a forum http://mode-zero.uk where you'd all be made very welcome, & theres an active S/C soaring section.  
Mode Zero is a skit on the propo 'mode1 vs mode2' sticks argument -  we use a button in preference to sticks hence 'Mode Zero' 😀

I have flown at Ivinghoe but it was back in the 70's when contests were popular....  

Cheers & thanks again
Phil

PS - S/C Slope soaring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puytej-gw20

Graham Woods
3 hours ago, Phil_G said:

Hi Pete, thank you that sounds brilliant. It is quite a way but if I could make a weekend of it, find a campsite... 
I dont know if you're aware but our group is pure nostalgia -  I do emulation encoders for single-channel,  reeds,
galloping ghost, pulse... and refits of 'back in the day' propo sets.  Have a look on http://www.singlechannel.co.uk 
if you're interested in the good old bad old days of R/C   😉   
We also have a forum http://mode-zero.uk where you'd all be made very welcome, & theres an active S/C soaring section.  
Mode Zero is a skit on the propo 'mode1 vs mode2' sticks argument -  we use a button in preference to sticks hence 'Mode Zero' 😀

I have flown at Ivinghoe but it was back in the 70's when contests were popular....  

Cheers & thanks again
Phil

PS - S/C Slope soaring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puytej-gw20

There's a campsite at the bottom of the Ivinghoe Beacon.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1493774-d4783802-Reviews-Town_Farm_Camping_Caravanning-Ivinghoe_Aylesbury_Vale_Buckinghamshire_England.html

Graham Woods

SilentPilot

Phil G,

If you are going we could meet up at Baildon and I could lend you a couple of Impalas to take down and see if anyone recognises them!

One is stretched and another (actually it might be the same one) is converted to electric power.

:)

Pete, would it be ok for me  to mention your Nostalgia Day on the single-channel forum please? We have a few slope enthusiasts who might be persuaded to make the trip...  and most of our gliders are from the 60s - 70s, with appropriate 'period' radio.  

Re magnet gliders, one of our club members, Trevor Faulkner, was a world class magnet soaring expert, lovely bloke, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago.

SP, I confess I have a bit of an Impala 'thing'  - somehow I have five standard sized ones and a 3/4 scale one which is superb!

Edit: I just realised,  I could do Bletchley Park Museum too - something I've wanted to see for ages!

Committed, I'm booked in at the Town Farm site, Friday to Monday!    Very much looking forward to it 😁

Cheers
Phil

John Minchell

Well Pete you might just have started the snowball at the top of the slope...

I was speaking with Martyn Kinder the other day and inspired by your ISA Nostalgia day, we thought that a "nostalgia models" day up north might be a good idea, as so many of us have classic and vintage sport models and old competition models doing double duty as loft insulation.

So we now have agreement from the Leek and Moorlands club to put on a slope day.  I am also looking for a large flat fleld to do one with a couple of bungees and low power winches as well.  More details when we get dates / venues sorted out.

Cheers John M

L&M isnt far beyond Callow where I normally fly, so I'd be up for that John 🙂

You probably know most of the Sheffield lads!

In fact it might be an idea to contact the SSA to let them know its on ?

Cheers
Phil

Pete, its been a long time since I visited Ivinghoe, so I dont remember, is it an easy walk from the car-park to the slope? 
Just thinking I'd like to bring several retro models, each with its period-appropriate tx, so probably several trips to and fro....

Cheers
Phil

John Minchell

Phil

Once we have a date, myself or Martyn will put it up on the calendar here and on the BMFA website.

But a good idea too of yours to let all the other localish clubs know directly so we can get a good turnout.

From memory, the top car park to the west face of the Beacon is a good 20 minute walk with a steep climb at the end of it.  Does depend upon wind direction, as it might be flying on the car park slope or the triangle field in an easterly come the day.  Best you convert an old golf trolly to take all your models and Tx's in one go.

I have a Veron Big Impala, KK Elmira & MPX Cortina all of which are in the refurb queue to get ready, so I'll need a trolly too.

John M

Hi Pete, I posted this on Mode-Zero and so far we have about 6-8 very excited slopers including, all being well, Ken Binks and his Suzy Que!

We're all 60s-70s enthusiasts and our little group will be providing plenty of nostalgia, you'll love it!

Wonder if Fossy is up for it?  and I wonder if he still has a S/C Force Four, a reeds Phase 1, & a Phase 2?  😀    We do! 

Cheers
Phil

I'm up at Baildon right now and it's blowing a hoolie, flown the Flair Heron but rain stopped play at the moment, so kettle on for a brew 😁

Lots of thick dark clouds  out west...

Will try again later

Cheers

Phil