Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

Glad I went back up for another session, after tea break, as John T was up there flying his M60,  we flew for an hour until the light was bad...  quite a pleasant afternoon.

Cheers

Phil

SilentPilot

I'm watching tomorrow's forecast.

Looks like just the right WNW that I like up there. Might try and sneak out for an hour or so! 

I went up to Baildon this morning and it was windier than I anticipated. I found Nick and 2 other Gents there from NLMFC having some flying time with non powered craft. Nick was doing great stuff with a Phase 6 .  I've flown in very strong winds at Baildon but I think today was the strongest (mid 20s gusting to 35 ?).  My Speedo struggled to penetrate but I had a reasonable short flight of about 25 mins. trying to land I got blown too far back . Then I pushed the glider down too much not realising its ground speed and it went in like a javelin. 

Speedo (1)r.jpg

Speedo (2)r.jpg

SilentPilot

Oh dear!

I thought it looked bad at first but it should patch up just fine :)
Do you have any more of that diamond tape? I'm severely restricted when it comes to time available for repairs (it's fair to say short of skill too, but mainly the time!) so I'd just wrap the entire nose in tape, cut through the opening for the canopy and run thin CA into the cracks. How strong it has to be is likely dependent on how much nose weight is up front.

Tony 

2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I'm watching tomorrow's forecast.

Looks like just the right WNW that I like up there. Might try and sneak out for an hour or so! 

I'd join you Tony but tomorrow is "new shed day" 🙂

Nope, its literally 'New Shed Day'  🙂

Unless they postpone delivery due to the weather...

Base is prepped, we're good to go:

IMG_20190307_141113.jpg

Hi, thanks for advice on how to repair Speedo. I'll get round to it soon, I may use epoxy and cf pieces inside. I have plenty of leeway with weight as there was a lot of ballast in the nose so getting the same cog should be ok. More mixed fortunes today at Baildon.  Very windy but HK Speedy coped well, lots of lift but during one tight fast turn I heard a crack (despite the wind) and notice Speedy now how a dihedral ! I continued flying for a short time but decided I'd better have a look.  No real down wind leg for landing, just kept glider  nose into wind, wings level no ground speed and eventually plopped it down very close by.

At one point I noticed another car had parked near me by the caravan site and thought I'd have company.  When I returned to my Black Audi estate someone had left a beautiful hand made baby Granau (?) under the front of my car. It seems to be ready to fly, just needs binding.  Does anyone know anything about its previous ownership or expected performance ? Was it meant to go to another person ?

thanks

Paul

HK Speedy wing (1).JPG

HK Speedy wing (2).JPG

Baby Granau (3).JPG

Baby Granau (4).JPG

SilentPilot

Indeed!

Yes, that does look like a Grunau Baby, we had one at our gliding club years ago. I don’t remember much about it because it was so long ago but I’m sure it was that colour :) 

• 3 weeks later...
John Minchell

Right Gentlemen

As we were earlier talking on this thread about an "up north" Nostalgia gliders day, I guess here is as good a place to post it. 

We have a venue - Leek and Moorlands club (slope to be determined by wind direction on the day) and we have a date - Saturday May 18th 2019.

I know it is quite short notice, but we have tried to fit it in without clashing with too many other shows or events and be far enough away time wise from the ISA version down south, so people can enjoy both events.  Martyn Kinder has posted it up on the calendar on here .  So dig out your old sport, trainer or competition gliders, whatever condition they are in (as long as safe to fly) and join us for a relaxed day of flying nostalgia models,  reminiscing and banter.  Its not a competition, just come, fly and enjoy.  Please pass the word around to your contacts whom you think might be interested.

For more details please contact Martyn email  ukcaa1@gmail.com  or telephone 07989 025198

John Minchell

Pete - thanks for your best wishes for a good event - we'll blame you whichever way it goes good or bad😎!

I kind of assume that anyone flying will have BMFA, SAA or LMA insurance, but good point made.

Will see what I can do to get a report written & pics and send down to you for the Beacon.

Now, just need to finish the refurb of the Multi Phase and get some servos into the KK Elmira

BR John

Graham Woods

Anyone feeling nostalgic for bygone days and balsa models... there are a few oldie kits still available out there.

Fancy building a Mijet, Ridge Recruit or Trendsetter?

http://www.modellbauparadies.de/epages/Edi_sModellbauparadies.sf/de_DE/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=6303611&PageSize=30

gw  favonius.com

• Like 1

Aw thats a shame John, we were hoping that any self-respecting Retro enthusiast would be at "Pontefract PANDAS Single-Channel & Retro R/C Fly In" on the 18th & 19th!   😀    Its really unfortunate as Ponty is the most established dedicated Retro event and in its eighth  year. 

We would have loved to support a local slope-retro event as Retro is our bag,  we could easily rustle up over a dozen from Veron Impalas on Reeds and Galloping Ghost, Suzy Que Mk1 on its original RCS Digithree,  Soarcerers on Skyleader Clubmans, Veron Big Eagles & Vortex, KK Elmiras,  Dave Hardacre Quicksilver,  a "Little-V" plus "Moonbeam" and "Pixie" single-channel slopers, all with appropriate 'period' radios 😊  proper Retro!

Never mind, next time hopefully.  Hope it goes well and everyone has a brilliant time

Cheers
Phil

099.JPG

rm_aug_68_sq_recreated.jpg

John Minchell

Sorry about that Phil - well we steered around about 20 others, but it slipped through our net of checks. 

See you at the ISA meet in September and we'll make sure we don't clash for next year.

All the best for your PANDAS do.

BR John M