Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

SilentPilot

I might wander up myself.

Only had a couple of good sessions on the East slope. I can see it from my house and it looks epic but it's not often an Easterly and when it is it's not always working :(

Had a great 10 minutes of flying with the MPX Heron. Right up to where it banked over from a fair height and came hurtling towards the slope ( inverted) and planted itself 15m from where I was sat. Amazingly the only damage was a broken motor mount, battery had safely ejected. Went to switch my radio off and was met with a blank screen. I've just updated it to the 2020 software with forward programming and settings for drone racing, plus fpv (spektrum DX9). All preflight checks were okay, all model slots were there. Now back home and got it up and running. All model slots are empty, including my 3 helicopters. This will be the 3rd time this Radio has had to go back. Maybe time to try Futuba.

There was another flyer up there having better luck. Lift was very good.

Edited by RamJam 53
Addition.

You could be right. Fortunately I wasn't flying any of my hedge trimmers. Never heard anyone complain about JR or Futaba.

1 hour ago, RamJam 53 said:

You could be right. Fortunately I wasn't flying any of my hedge trimmers. Never heard anyone complain about JR or Futaba.

You haven't been around long enough then 

A big plus to this minor set back. I found my Reichard Sirius under the house. I electrified it after assembling and flying  it glider only, what a mistake that was considering I fly slope only. Spent a fruitful afternoon converting it back to unpowered flight. Made a balsa/ply and glassed nose cone. I recall it flying beautifully as a glider, slow lazy aero's and able to utilize the lightest breeze.

Just back from a very short session at Baildon NW . Very windy, 20mph gusting to 30, blew my woolly hat off.  I flew my old Hobby king Speedy as it suits these blustery conditions. There was plenty of lift and some thermals even this early.  Speedy was a pleasure to fly though in the past the wings came off at the bottom of a fast loop, it's still in my mind even though everything is repaired and strengthened.  Rain came to end things. I could see it coming and landed on the path having gone too far back but was very pleased with the recovery and landing.  In my mind I sometimes here fellow flyers from a couple of years back  giving me little words of advice . As I trudged back to car the rain stopped  and I thought about going back up. " No,  it was a great little session let's leave it at that" Back home now for breakfast.

Paul

Only problem I had with very early morning flying was condensation forming on the aeroplane stopping the wing tape sticking properly. Make sure to take some kitchen roll.

• 9 months later...
SilentPilot

Just back from a quick session at Baildon. 

Not much wind so ideal to give some DLGs I’ve been fixing up a spin out!

My launches were getting better and better but I suffered today. Over rotating most of the time. 
Maybe DLG into ridge lift, however weak, isn’t a good idea. 
Maybe wellie boots aren’t ideal footwear...

Still good fun :)

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

2nd visit to Baildon NW in last few weeks as restrictions ease. Cold but lovely NW wind 18mph gusting 26 blue skies repaired Funray did very well

funray join.jpg

SilentPilot

Good repair by the looks of it!

I’ve been popping up to Baildon with my DLGs to air them off.

It’s nice to be back out again :)

• 8 months later...

Just been catching up on various threads and thought that this may be of interest to the discussion on what can be flown on LCC controlled land, this sign is on the Fearnville Fields that is near to the Leeds Model Shop, a few of us flew there for over 35 years, flying was conducted with consideration of the local residents so noise was controlled, then with electric more flying was undertaken until a certain person started to fly a DLE55 powered sports model, no consideration for the residents what so ever so the complaints started to go in, then the sign was erected.

The police are aware and on chatting to the local bobby he told me they would take the details of anyone found flying a powered model and report them to the council, no police action will be taken.

I hope this helps.

Andy

LCC SIGN 2.jpg

LCC SIGN 1.jpg