Phil_G

Yorkshire Slopers

John Minchell

Phil

Once we have a date, myself or Martyn will put it up on the calendar here and on the BMFA website.

But a good idea too of yours to let all the other localish clubs know directly so we can get a good turnout.

From memory, the top car park to the west face of the Beacon is a good 20 minute walk with a steep climb at the end of it.  Does depend upon wind direction, as it might be flying on the car park slope or the triangle field in an easterly come the day.  Best you convert an old golf trolly to take all your models and Tx's in one go.

I have a Veron Big Impala, KK Elmira & MPX Cortina all of which are in the refurb queue to get ready, so I'll need a trolly too.

John M

pete beadle

Hi Phil G

The Beacon is an L-shaped hill that acts as if it was conical.......that means that we can fly in most wind directions, all of which have advantages and disadvantages

If we were flying in a north-easterly or a northerly you could get out of your car, put your plane(s) together, walk 20 yards to the gate, go through the gate and fly from there! If you had to use a westerly or north-westerly you could amble downhill from the car park, cross the road then walk up a gentle slope up to the stile (we call it the Cardiac Slope) then turn left and walk to the top and the west face up a slope barely steeper than the first!

The average age of our membership currently is 61 so we advise everyone to amble rather than "power walk" and to enjoy the fresh air and the views while ambling - it makes a BIG difference!

My best advice would be to show all the models you want to in the car park then take two or possibly three up the hill.......don't rush to get up the hill, hopefully you'll be there for HOURS, ask friends to help out carrying your spare planes and enjoy the lack of pressure because you're not competing with anyone

Enjoy the day, don't work at it and you'll be fine. As it gets nearer to the day we'll adjust what we intend to fly to cope with the conditions and if you bring one soarer and one aerobatic aileron jobbie, if it's a windy day, you'll have most conditions covered......:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

• Like 1

Phil_G

Hi Pete, I posted this on Mode-Zero and so far we have about 6-8 very excited slopers including, all being well, Ken Binks and his Suzy Que!

We're all 60s-70s enthusiasts and our little group will be providing plenty of nostalgia, you'll love it!

Wonder if Fossy is up for it?  and I wonder if he still has a S/C Force Four, a reeds Phase 1, & a Phase 2?  😀    We do! 

Cheers
Phil

SilentPilot

If anyone finds a Phase 6 four servo wing (not very retro, granted) that is going cheap I’m interested :) 

pete beadle

Hi Phil G

Now you're talking! Kenny Binks and his "Suzy Q"....REAL Nostalgia

Chris Foss used to fly in aerobatic comps at Ivinghoe in the 70's and at least three Phase 5's are under construction by Ivinghoe members at present, I haven't spoken to anyone yet as to the completion dates but must remind everyone that the date I want to see them is on September 14th!....if they're finished earlier than that there is MUCH too much risk of a chance "whoopsie" preventing their attendance at Nostalgia Day.......:(

Anyway, really good to hear your news - you'll all be VERY welcome......one last thing, if you have any queries, points of clarification etc please don't hesitate to PM me, I will give my e-mail address and landline number to anyone who is thinking (threatening) to attend, but would prefer that our questions don't clog up the BARCS forum, OK?:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Phil_G

I'm up at Baildon right now and it's blowing a hoolie, flown the Flair Heron but rain stopped play at the moment, so kettle on for a brew 😁

Lots of thick dark clouds  out west...

Will try again later

Cheers

Phil

Maria Freeman

I could bring my Solent Sailplanes "Ridge Racer".....

Phil_G

Glad I went back up for another session, after tea break, as John T was up there flying his M60,  we flew for an hour until the light was bad...  quite a pleasant afternoon.

Cheers

Phil

SilentPilot

I'm watching tomorrow's forecast.

Looks like just the right WNW that I like up there. Might try and sneak out for an hour or so! 

pdel

I went up to Baildon this morning and it was windier than I anticipated. I found Nick and 2 other Gents there from NLMFC having some flying time with non powered craft. Nick was doing great stuff with a Phase 6 .  I've flown in very strong winds at Baildon but I think today was the strongest (mid 20s gusting to 35 ?).  My Speedo struggled to penetrate but I had a reasonable short flight of about 25 mins. trying to land I got blown too far back . Then I pushed the glider down too much not realising its ground speed and it went in like a javelin. 

Speedo (1)r.jpg

Speedo (2)r.jpg

• Sad 1

pete beadle

Hi Pdel

Ouch! looks like quite a simple repair though

Keep at it......practice makes perfect!:):thumbsup:

Hopefully a quick trip to Ivinghoe tomorrow, WSW winds 10 possibly gusting 20 predicted, possibility of showers in the afternoon so, the intention is early start, early finish - taking my Tragi 705 and John Stevens Eliminator 100":yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Oh dear!

I thought it looked bad at first but it should patch up just fine :)
Do you have any more of that diamond tape? I'm severely restricted when it comes to time available for repairs (it's fair to say short of skill too, but mainly the time!) so I'd just wrap the entire nose in tape, cut through the opening for the canopy and run thin CA into the cracks. How strong it has to be is likely dependent on how much nose weight is up front.

Tony 

Phil_G
2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I'm watching tomorrow's forecast.

Looks like just the right WNW that I like up there. Might try and sneak out for an hour or so! 

I'd join you Tony but tomorrow is "new shed day" 🙂

SilentPilot

New shed day???

is that code? 

Phil_G

Nope, its literally 'New Shed Day'  🙂

Unless they postpone delivery due to the weather...

Base is prepped, we're good to go:

IMG_20190307_141113.jpg

• Like 1

SilentPilot

That’s a big shed!

• Like 1