Yorkshire Slopers

Phil_G

I keep meaning to go along to PANDAS...

A friend of mine was the Chairman there for a while when I looked into joining but I've kind of drifted away from them as I got more into slope soaring. Maybe I'll have a word next time I see him about going over to one of their monthly meetings.

The C/L event was brilliant, really good turnout and (this being our first C/L event) organiser Dave Cowburn was very pleased with the response. The Carrier Deck event was particularly entertaining. Great fun, something different and a Barby afterwards, what more could you ask for? :)

Pandas meetings are on the first Tuesday of the month at Roundhill WMC, the meetings aren't very exciting to be honest but why not come as a guest for a couple of visits, see how you get on?

The site is superb, we're very lucky to have Ponty Park, however this means that we tend to have a thicker rule-book than other less formal clubs, it being a public park.  Some find the necessary formality is not to their taste and I must admit I enjoy the atmosphere on the slopes so I do both.  I fly mostly single-channel (on the button), reeds and homebrews so I tend to go on Sunday mornings when we have our 'quiet electrics' and gliders session until 12 noon when the petrol prophangers are unleashed and peace is shattered :D

If you're an old hand you would have enjoyed our "Single-Channel & Retro R/C" event, we ran our fifth this year. Event videos are on Youtube channel PHILG2864

Cheers
Phil

Cheers Phil, yes I'll have to come over :) 

Being self taught though I've not got my A or B (or anything like that :o), I too like to slope fly, I'm slowly getting into F3F and I love casual days at my local hill, Baildon.

I do want to do my A&B etc. Probably using my Acrowot with its Evo10 petrol engine. I mainly fly electric at my flat site (Rufforth), I don't think the villagers would be too impressed with me buzzing around with a proper IC plane...

Might see you soon :) 

Tony

I had a few full-size glider lessons at Rufforth Tony, whereabouts do the modellers fly there?  or is it a private arrangement just for yourself?
Ponty club has a training evening on Wednesdays, theres just time to get your 'A' before the evenings get too dark!
Dont feel intimidated, its a very friendly session and the instructors will help you through.

Cheers
Phil

• Like 1

Cheers!!

I might bring the Acrowot over, it still needs running in, so some fig 8s are in order :) 

There are a few of us that fly models at Rufforth. We're all full York Gliding Centre members and only fly models when the full size stuff is away. That can be pretty late on a Summer evening, the motorglider does flying right up to dusk sometimes, so 'Nightflyer' illuminated types are advantageous!

We use the full runway too!! Can easily use just the width if there is a crosswind ;) 

I still want to aerotow my Ka-8 there sometime. I've got a Sport Cub which could tow it but I've not fitted a release to it yet. The K8 is all ready...

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I had a very nice half hour Sunday morning at Baildon NE slope. It's not my favourite slope , too busy with people but early Sunday it was quiet and the light wind was NNE. I just flew my non motored ST Fox which was well suited to the conditions. Loops ok but rolls very spirally ! Anyway nice to get some slope time in , the previous day (Sat. And last weekend) were powered flying.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/09/2016 at 13:16, Phil_G said:

I had a few full-size glider lessons at Rufforth Tony, whereabouts do the modellers fly there?  or is it a private arrangement just for yourself?
Ponty club has a training evening on Wednesdays, theres just time to get your 'A' before the evenings get too dark!
Dont feel intimidated, its a very friendly session and the instructors will help you through.

Cheers
Phil

Phil,

I checked PANDAS web page and it seems you have to go to one of the monthly meetings first to join.

Is this still the case?

Tony

Ah yes that was a recent change Tony sorry I'd forgotten.  They just had the AGM but I'd got dysentery so missed it :)

I have not flown anything for a few months, so on the promise of light WNW at Baildon (8 - 10mph) winds I set off at 8.30 this morning with the MPX Funglider and Middlephase 2. As usual the winds were lighter than forecast so the FG went up and duly came apart. The Fuse split right down the seam and the wings came off but were still held in place by the servo wires. Inspection at home revealed the seam was only spot glued about every 10cm. A light tug saw all the other glued on plastic bits come away. So a new fuse and proper glueing will sort it.

I was dubious about launching my fully glassed and flat wing built MP2, especially as I now have the C of G back at 82mm. However it flew superb in the 7 to 8 mph breeze. I have a thermal setting which works really well and at the slightest hint of lift it will raise it's nose slightly and can be made to gain significant height whilst flying at a very slow pace. Comes in handy if the lift drops as you enter a turn. This has turned out to be a much more usefull do it all model than my previous MP, due I think to my lighter but stronger glassing skills. Enjoyed the morning out on my own, all the sky to play with.

Have you tried the Parkzone Ka-8?

Its a 2.25m foamie that stays up on minimal lift! The slightest breeze or a whiff of a thermal sees me able to scratch away. The only thing that lets it down is awkward rigging. That single servo spoiler arrangement is fiddly to put it mildly...

Thanks for the heads up on the FunGlider, I'll check mine over.

Tony

Thanks for the input Tony. I have a Graupner Amigo (Tissue covered) for the really light days. That goes up on a Gnats trump mate and has a bungee hook fitted.

The FG glue has gone powdery so probably a bad batch. Only flown it around 8 times with no heavy landings. Well worth resurecting with a new fuselage though.

• Like 1

Anyone risking losing their nuts at nonts on Saturday. Decent wind forecast but Baltic conditions, should be some nice soft snow to land on though.

• Like 1

I  might be up for that...

I've got Saturday off work but I've just renewed my passenger rating on my glider licence so I'm trying to stay current with that. I'm not daft though, if the wind is too strong then I'll stick to flying models instead, I'll stay on the floor!!

I do have some new mouldies to try out too...

Tony

Update Tony. Heavy snow for tomorrow at Nonts (according to the met although their wider outlook says different),  looks like a day in the hanger with some scotch and Epoxy for the mpx fg repair.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the chance to go to Nonts today. The wind was high teens gusting to over 30. First plane was my Speedo. I've flown it before in such strong winds. I launched a bit back from the edge and didn't make it out over the rocks. Slight damage to a wing rib caused by the main spar. So next glider was HK Speedy. I had to wait quite a long time for a slightly calmer gap in the wind so I could launch. Everything went fine. Lift was great. The Speedy was fine ,zooming about , rolling and doing whatever I wanted. When the sun broke through the clouds it was a problem. After about only 30 mins I was happy to land and call it a day. I misjudged the down wind leg, too far , not realising the gliders inability to move back to me through the wind. Landed ok though. It's been weeks since I've done any sloping and today was very good given the strong winds. Glad I squeezed in the trip.

• Like 2