simon_t

I first saw the new Multiplex Solius whilst at the recent Pyrenees Cup F3F event - Matthieu Mervelet and Pierre Rondel were having a great time with theirs, whilst the rest of us with just gliders were grounded.  It is a great looking model, and seemed to be very good at just about everything.  It thermalled very well in the light conditions, it climbed quite quickly on the standard motor, and was reasonably quick.   It also did some great aerobatics.  Martin Newnham was at the F3F comp with me, and was also very impressed.  We decided that on our return to the UK we would each get one for a bit of competitive flat field flying.  

We were both disappointed when we got back that it had not yet launched in the UK, and we would need to wait a month for the RR (Rx Ready) version to arrive.  Unfortunately even that got delayed further, so we both splashed out on the Kit version and standard motor pack from TJD models.  A couple of evenings work and we both had our models ready, so this morning we maidened them.  Not ideal conditions, as there was a blustery 15mph or more wind, but there were some thermals as well.

The model went straight from the hand, climbing well.  I have an altimeter/vario on board, so cut the throttle at about 150m, zooming to about 190m.  The model settled down straight away, cruising well.  I found a thermal fairly quickly and followed it for a few minutes, getting up to about 300m.  It turns very well - the controls are well balanced, and the CG at the recommended position seemed spot on.  I was now a long way downwind, but the model returned into the strong wind very well, without losing much height.  The first flight was maybe 20 minutes, and concluded with a combination of powered and unpowered aerobatics over our patch.  I landed, and on recharging the battery it only needed 170mA in the 2200mAh LiPo, so it seems to sip power, even on the climb.

Conclusions:

An excellent model that fully met my (fussy) expectations.  It really is quite a good all rounder.  It thermals very well.  It aerobats well, and it looks great (at least to my eyes).  It is also great to have a model that stacks down quickly into its small carry box, protecting it in the car.  The foam is quite dense, but does dent fairly easily.  Other than that I really have nothing I dislike about it.  It deserves to become a very popular model.

Simon

• Like 1

I have one too, an RR version and am very pleased with it. As you say it is a great all rounder and it is kept in its box with a few lipos ready for an impromptu session when the weather is right. The only mod I have done is the Pierre Rondel one which is to install some carbon strip in the outer wing panels to stop the flex. Other than that it is 'stock' as they say. I don't know why but there does not appear to many about at the moment considering it is such a nice model.

simon_t

Another great day flying the Solius.  Quite breezy again today, with some large patches of lift and equally large sink.  Took a couple of thermals away from low down, and thermalled up to 440m, at which height it is starting to get fairly small.  Still loving this model.

Martin_N

I have to agree with all of Simon's comments and as my first electric glider it's been incredibly enjoyable to fly. Bob Ryan also joined us with his E-Maxa and it made for a good days flying. May even have to consider looking more into E-soaring in the near future.

Martin

Fishovertime

A very enjoyable and easy to fly model ,its quite windy here but it still does well ,so far my best Multiplex model.

Regards Andrew.

I am more and more impressed with this model, it is probably the best foamie I have owned to date. last week I was out most days with it and flying in a wide range of conditions,it copes with wind quite well. The supplied power train works more than adequately for my needs. Not the cheapest around but in my humble opinion certainly the best in its class.

The foam is pretty durable and is nice and smooth but no doubt it will eventually succumb to some sot of hanger rash. So far it is stain proof.

Woodstock

One of my biggest problems with foamies is they are difficult to transport and store without getting a lot of hangar rash.  The storage-in-it's-box thing solves that it seems..

yep, mine lives permanently in its box when not in use. I made some wing bags and covers for the fuz from the reams of bubble wrap that comes with the kit  and have taped inside the box a holder for a screwdriver, two nylon screws to hold the tailplane on, it can be ready to fly in just two or three minutes literally. This, in my view is better than the Cularis and the Easy Glider by far. Loads of fun.

• 1 month later...
Shedofdread

A question, if I may? For those that have either the RR version or who use the standard drive set up - do you have any of the counter weights in the tail?

Also, where have people balanced there's? Mine has a slightly too large motor (it was in stock...), 2 balls in the fin and C/G at 70mm (as per plan) back from L/E and doesn't feel at all nice. I spoke to someone today and there's was almost a different aeroplane (C/G at 75, std motor, no counter weight).

I guess I know what has to be done but thoughts are appreciated.

Woodstock

I have no experience of the model, but a bit of Multiplex, so my suggestion is first get the Cog back to where your mate's one has it (or further), I bet that'll help for starters :) !

Shedofdread

I have no experience of the model, but a bit of Multiplex, so my suggestion is first get the Cog back to where your mate's one has it (or further), I bet that'll help for starters :) !

Aye - cheers for that. My EasyGlider certainly has a C/G a ways behind the recommended one. Can't remember where the Xeno's ended up...

• 1 month later...
SPUDISAPILOT

I have covered my solius with very light weight laminating film on the underside of fuss and d-box of wing after my experience with the cularis

tony

• 5 months later...
isoaritfirst

so how is everyone getting on with their Solius?

Should I press the go button - as a take on my hols type model - or stick with my EasyG Pro

so how is everyone getting on with their Solius?

Should I press the go button - as a take on my hols type model - or stick with my EasyG Pro

Still loving mine. Only reason it hasn't been flown recently is the dreadful weather, but it was in the car a couple of weeks ago in Wales. It still continues to look great and fly well, and the standard motor set up is well matched. It may be a clue, but when I spent a week in Binham last year with my big scale gliders and tugs, the Solius actually accumulated the most flying hours. And I had some very long thermal flights over that week, as well as some aerobatic schedules. It's as near perfect a foamy as I can imagine.

Simon

Cheers SImon..

is that the permax 3516 0850 set you have?

I believe so. I got the standard motor kit, as I built the Solius from a kit. The Solius box states the motor you quoted.