Death of my Skorpion F3B

Ian Falconer

I have had problems with a 9X2, apparently when you overwrite settings they don't always get flashed over and the settings just end up corrupted.  My elevator channel kept driving to full up.  A factory reset has cured it, this fault is not unknown.  Might save a lot of money on new gear if the TX could be reset?

Ian Falconer

Now started the paint job more to follow . The final finish will be a 2 pack clear coat to give a nice shiny finish.

Bit more sanding yet on the tail fin.

Ian Falconer

All went well and have just put a two pack clear coat on and the paint is now finished.

Now just the radio gear to go back in and then a test flight this weekend.

• Like 2

The colours & Scheme you've chosen look gorgeous Ian. What paints ( make / brand) did you use ?  Did you do it with rattle cans or compressor ?  

From the pics you've posted it looks superb B) , well done

Stu.

Ian Falconer

Hi all when setting about the painting I used a Halfords filler primer on the bad bits with lots of sanding. Then Halfords white primer and after using a car stopper filler on all the small blemishes.

A trip to my local car DIY shop in Amesbury where they can make up rattle can paints 500 ml and picked up Pearlescent White 2 cans 1 can of Ford Focus RS Orange pearl 1 can of Range Rover  Black blue Pearl.

This entire rattle can work looked ok but when the 2 pack clear went on top then it looked very good and glossy. As I fly F3F and so not to bother about a bit more weight.  

Ian

Hi all when setting about the painting I used a Halfords filler primer on the bad bits with lots of sanding. Then Halfords white primer and after using a car stopper filler on all the small blemishes.

A trip to my local car DIY shop in Amesbury where they can make up rattle can paints 500 ml and picked up Pearlescent White 2 cans 1 can of Ford Focus RS Orange pearl 1 can of Range Rover  Black blue Pearl.

This entire rattle can work looked ok but when the 2 pack clear went on top then it looked very good and glossy. As I fly F3F and so not to bother about a bit more weight.  

Ian

Ian, can you give me details on the 2 pack clear coat please

Stu.

Ian Falconer

Hi stu,

Can’t say what 2 pack was used as it was sprayed in a spray facility at my work. I think any local car spray shop could do it as its the same they use on cars but jo public can't buy it for spraying as it can kill you. The 2 pack is bad stuff and needs the correct PPE forced air mask etc.

Ian

Gonna have to use T-cut and elbow grease like the rest of us Gromit  B) !

Actually, on that note, I find that the cordless car buffing power tool I got from Lidl is the way to go!  If the part is too small to work on comfortably I clamp the tool in the Workmate and use it as a stationary buffer.

Phil.Taylor

Chris - you must have a shiny car? - all that cordless power buffing - especially when your tool is clamped in the Workmate  ;)

Ian - great work there - and a nice refinish too

Phil.

Gonna have to use T-cut and elbow grease like the rest of us Gromit  B) !

Actually, on that note, I find that the cordless car buffing power tool I got from Lidl is the way to go!  If the part is too small to work on comfortably I clamp the tool in the Workmate and use it as a stationary buffer.

I ran out of elbow grease a while back :D

Stu.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice job on the repair, Ian and having seen it in the carbon today, it flies as good as it looks.   :thumbsup:

Clive.