Gebhart Candy

Gary B

Hi folks,

Was just wondering if anyone else had one of these lovely V-tail Czechoslovakian gliders?

They came in a range of wing spans from 1 metre to 2.3 metres and used two types of common pod and boom fuselages (a thin one for the glider version and a fatter one for the electro version).

I have a 1.5 metre Candy 'Acro' (has ailerons) which I've been flying for a long time and an unbuilt kit of the standard 1.5 metre Candy.

Always fancied one of the big span versions but the company and glider range seems to have disappeared off the planet. Believe I got mine from Stephen Mettam (Modelhaus?).

Cheers

Gary

CandyAcro2013_zps90c62dd2.jpg

Gary,

I too have a Candy Acro. Nice model. I got mine from PAF, (Peter Adolfs Flugmodelle), at a Dortmund show a few years back. I think they are still in business, so it might be worth you trying to contact them.

Reggles

Marvellous!

I vaguely remember e-mailing Peter Adolfs and I'm pretty sure he didn't have any.

He does sell a set of floats for the Candy (strange thing to fit on an e-glider?!) and there was a photo showing them fitted.

There is the 'Scarlett', which looks like another Gebhart product, the 'Kelly' and Candy are mentioned.

What impressed me most was the quality of the building, like it had not been touched by human hand!

For some reason I fitted the biggest servos I could find when I put mine together, way over the top and not helping with the weight. I'm currently replacing the V-tail servos and plan to use the non-aileron wing from the unbuilt kit to see if I can keep it airborne for more than five minutes! 

Some gentle modelling in the garden (too hot to do anything else!) and I now have a non-aileron wing.

By ditching the aileron servos, fitting smaller V-tail servos and moving them forward along with going to Lipo power for the receiver battery has made it 76 grammes lighter. Ace! Hope to fly it this evening.

I found an e-mail address for Radek Gebhart (or is it Gebhart Radek?!) using Google.cz, the company address is the same as that on the instructions and their line of business is making ice hockey sticks. Not holding my breath but I pinged an e-mail off as I really would like one of the bigger ones.

GB

Picture_zps068ab9f9.jpg

It does fly much better, transformed in fact!! Slightly wiggly with just V-tail control but I can live with that. When I checked the lateral balance it fell quite heavily to one side, a fair amount of lead under the other wing fixed it but I don't see why something so light should have a big difference side to side?

Next idea is to transplant the brushless motor from an unloved TT e-Hawk into the fat fuselage from the second kit and...no more bungee!

Could have saved myself the bother and bought a Radian I s'pose?!

GB

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

Was just wondering if anyone else had one of these lovely V-tail Czechoslovakian gliders?

They came in a range of wing spans from 1 metre to 2.3 metres and used two types of common pod and boom fuselages (a thin one for the glider version and a fatter one for the electro version).

I have a 1.5 metre Candy 'Acro' (has ailerons) which I've been flying for a long time and an unbuilt kit of the standard 1.5 metre Candy.

Always fancied one of the big span versions but the company and glider range seems to have disappeared off the planet. Believe I got mine from Stephen Mettam (Modelhaus?).

Cheers

Gary

CandyAcro2013_zps90c62dd2.jpg

Gary B

I picked up a 2.3 mtr  'Gebhart Candy' from a  Swop Meet at Barkston Heath Nationals a couple of years ago, for a song, lovely well made  model. I have, at last, decided too give it some air,  but am at a loss as to how the wings and fuselage fit together, seems a little flimsy to me.

Do you have plans or photo's that showing the method of joining.  There is a carbon fibre connecting rod and one bolt hole at each wing root near the front spar but no wing trailing edge joint or fastening. It all seems a little insufficient for such a wing span.

Can you please help

Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes, I could probably scan the instructions, will do it later.

Sounds like the bigger span ones have a slightly different wing fixing method.

On my version (1.5 metre) there is a single nylon bolt and a short plastic pin fitted vertically through the trailing edge, this engages in a hole (that you have to drill) on the centreline of the fuselage.

I always thought this was a bit hopeful, the wing bolt works but the pin breaks on lumpy landings, cut off pieces of cotton bud work for new ones!

Last year I made a non-aileron polyhedral wing from a new kit but unfortunately broke it (a tip panel folded in a breeze on the bungee), that didn't do much for the fuselage either when it hit the ground! I still have the aileron wing intact and an unbuilt electro (fatter) fuselage.

Will dig the instructions out. 

I've found the instructions but am having some trouble with the scanner, they probably wouldn't help a lot anyway.

From what I can work out there is a pin at the trailing edge for the single piece wing but not for the two-piece wing.

I would guess that because it has two bolts and a joiner rod it doesn't need anything at the trailing edge.

C of G is given as 56-60 mm for the larger version, I know I fly mine well behind the recommended spot.

It's my fault that it broke on the bungee because I don't think it's supposed to be bungeed or towed (no hook mentioned in the instructions) . The ply braces that join the tip panels are quite weak (they fit inside the spanwise carbon tubes). It's at its best gently hand launched from a small slope.

Cheers

Gary