DLG rudder pull pull

Tilman Baumann

Tilman Baumann

I have some issues with my mini DLG.

I added a rudder. And to save weight I opted for a pull pull system to save weight.

The servos I used are not good, I need more power. And I can only fluty one cell with this servo, but the receiver I use does not like that well.

But my bigger problem is slack in the lines. I don't have space to put the rudder servo on a slider. But how to I put tension on the lines?

Every solution I can imagine is too big.

On the rudder side I have a simile bent wire hook. Hard to adjust that.

Posted Image

Whimpy servo.

Posted Image

Huge slack after one flying session. This can not be the solution.

Tilman Baumann

Wire and string, could do that.

I also have a 1mm carbon rod. But that's probably too sloppy for a pushrod.

Use guitar string, the finest string you can get with a pull sett up and a spring in the hinge line.  You'll end up adding too much weight putting adjusters on the pull-pull :)  Use very small dia alu tube for the crimp on the wire.

Tilman Baumann

I drilled and glued the wire. Perhaps also a source of slack.

Adjustable tensioners are to heavy, one string and a rubber band will be my next test.

Tilman Baumann

Oh, that Tailset Accessory Pack mentioned in there is pretty cool.

All my problems solved for 3 quid.

But the real problem is, I kind of need it done for the trip to Lundy end of the week. It's really down to the wire.

Either I can get this working reliably in time or it stays home. (I don't think there is much of a chance for really low wind days anyway. So that is all right.)

Even if I get the spring stuff in time. I don't think I can get the servos too.

PS: The servo kind of works still. 90% or so. I mus have over stressed it in it's previous life as a aileron servo.

You can probably get the accessory pack tomorrow. Bowings is pretty quick.

You should be able to get the servos too. I use T9 or phoenix models. Ring and ask :)

Can you do it in one evening ??

Tilman Baumann

I can do it on the island if I have to. :lol:

I just ordered 2 x Corona DS-928BB Digital Servo from Giantshark via next day delivery.

Waste of money, but hey, would be a shame if I take that plane with me and can't fly it.

Crazy last minute stuff. I had already decided to leave the plane home. But I hate to do half things like that.

Not sure why you have a rudder on a Binary900 (I think thats what you've shown in the photo), its quite happy without one, just use reverse differential on the ailerons to compensate (thats what myself and most rudderless DLG pilots use). 

If you are going to go with a pull-spring, you want the rudder control horn on the side away from your launch peg.

Tilman Baumann

I tried without rudder. And even with strong diff I could not get out of the adverse yaw. And it had a tendency to fall out of the sky or lose too much energy before I got it to turn quick.

I liked it much better with ruder.

Rob Thomson

Lol.    It would fly better with a rudder too - I think a worthy mod.

But I like to think I am aloud to make fun of your flying skills - that is until you have survived lundy without loosing a model to the ocean!

Hope I dont loose one or I will never live that down  :drool:  :drool: