Sign in to follow this  
tonym

Ipswich RCMC Multi-Launch glider event - Sunday 1st Sept. 2013

tonym

Ipswich Multi-Launch comp. – Sunday 1st Sept. – venue Ipswich R/C Model Club field in Gosbeck IP6 9SJ

Allowed models: Winch or towed – Open/F3J, 100S, RES, Classic, Vintage and tail-less
Electric – Open and 2metre fitted with a height limiter (200m/30sec. motor run)
Hand Launch – max. wing span 1.5m Mini-bungee – max. wing span 1.5m

More details of the format can be found in the BARCS Handbook, download the latest edition here – BARCS Handbook, please read section 4.2 from page 42 as there are a few changes from last year.

Start time 11am, points count towards the BARCS leagues.

Please send your entries in by 8pm on Saturday 31st August with your preferred frequency and a reserve or two if flying on 35MHz.

FREE entry - prizes for overall top 3, class winners and best newcomer.

Entry list on the FlyQuiet forum or email me at email1.jpg

Tony

Jef Ott

Tony has done a Great Job of displaying the scores.

The score sheets are on the Flyquiet site.

Here is a write up that I have been asked to put a copy of here.

Journey time from Benfleet, was 1hr 20m, at a leisurely 60-65mph max, using the A130, A12 then A14, then a fair bit slower through the country lanes through Coddenham, to the Gosbeck area, totalling 62miles (each way). A few short years ago, before the term “Carbon Footprint” found its way into the OED, we were happy to do 100-140 miles each way for gliding comps, but we (I) have become less willing to travel these days, as I am sure most people have, as the cost of travelling by road has almost doubled in that time.

At the start of the thread, Tony made a good job of letting us know how to get to the field… I would never have found it with just my rather old Sat Nav, which only accepts the first 4 parts of the postcode, but Dad printed sheets from the links (provided by Tony M) and the aged Sat Nav was able to help us find Manor Lane (which, in retrospect, I should have initially put in, as the destination).

Anyway, this was a very special day out. Why? Dad had mustered the confidence and wanted to join me for the whole day... Since he got cancer and went through the treatments that helped him beat it, he had not been able to commit to a full day away from home, with me. So I had given up hope of a return to our ‘special’ days at thermal soaring comps – where the journey is a pleasure not a chore, through the banter we share. So it was already a good day for me, before even turning my Tx on.

Once at the field, it became obvious that my summer attire was barely adequate, most had the common sense to wear jumpers, coats etc. Tramping across the field with the winch equipment, in shorts and a tee shirt, soon had my temperature back up to normal, and the inevitable repositioning half an hour later to keep it somewhere near in line with the wind direction, was enough to keep me warm until the sun burnt through the cloud.

A test flight, with my Calypso Contest T-tail model using Tom and Trev's EXCELLENT Fluhs winch, revealed that lift was light and despite the 8-10mph gusts there was very little turbulence, the air was silky smooth, which is nice too! However, the Contest is no match for the lightweight electric models, unless the lift is moderately strong. So that helped me decide to fly another F3J style golden oldie mouldy, a 1998 Sharon, at least until the wind strength increased further towards 14mph as per the forecasts.

As it happened, the wind stayed about the same all day, and dropped slightly if anything. The occasional gusts and stronger low level lift normally arrived in time to ruin my landing plans. 

Only three of the entrants used 35MHz, so the formality of checking them was a very quick process. In the pilot briefing, Paul suggested that the winch models would have to turn left to avoid upsetting the neighbours.

The matrix had me flying in round 1, group 1, so I obediently flew left, from the launch, then as I found the sink, watched as the rest of the models flew right and upwind of the winch turnarounds…  when I found lift out to the left, I could not follow it back because of the no fly zone… I couldn’t fly straight to the landing approach area because that would have meant overflying the car park… so I made my way back around the field towards where the other pilots were (but failed to keep sufficient height to capitalise on the lift). However, I counted my blessings… a score on the board, the model not damaged and the Sharon was the correct weapon in my armoury for the conditions. It had been a good learning experience and Paul had shown us how to do it!

The no fly zones certainly added another dimension to the comp, the power lines about 100m downwind of the landing tapes, and the trees and hedges, made for some very interesting landing approaches with the larger models. It is amazing how an agoraphobic’s nightmare quickly becomes a claustrophobic space, when an open glider is trying to turn within it, lose height quickly and line up for the spot.

This all sounds very negative, but that is not how I want it to sound. The experience was a very enjoyable one – the flying area restrictions did not restrict the amount of fun and everyone had to cope with the same, so it was all fair and we had to just get on with it, fly smooth and fly smart!

Despite being fairly blinkered in my competition mind-set, i.e. I tend to do my own thing too much, I have learnt a bit about tactics over the years and in one of this comp’s slots, I found myself aware of the fact that I had lost the least height, most others had gone for relaunch at around 3 minutes and 10 seconds into the slot, and the one other model that hadn’t relaunched was very low… I kept telling myself that the other pilot must land soon and that all I needed was a flight in excess of 6m50s, to be in with a shout of the 1000.
However, lift was very light and fickle.
To get a 6m50s flight I had to keep the model flying smoothly and efficiently, and in the best of the air. The other model (piloted by Ray Gadenne) was not giving up without a battle though! Everywhere Sharon went to exploit lift, Ray’s Stork followed it. Ray gradually reduced the height advantage I had, although the Sharon was always higher.
Eventually I managed to get my model away from his, in reasonable air, but kept an eye on his model too, so that should he hit better air, I could go back and join him, I was flying in different air in the vain hope that he would “come a cropper” and be forced to make an early landing. However, that was not to be, and it was he who forced me to fly the slot out, as he was still there at the end too, and we both plucked 30 landing bonuses out of the last few seconds of the slot. How Ray managed to scratch the entire slot out at such a low altitude was inspirational. I had really assumed he would not make the 6m50s from that height!

The tricky conditions meant there was often landings in the wrong place, and due to the exceptionally good weather we have enjoyed through 2013's summer, the hardness of the ground led to a fairly high amount of arrival damage, although everything I saw looked repairable.

The results tell the rest of the story, but just to recap…
Ray Gadenne got a very deserving win, with an open electric entry.
National Champ Peter Mitchell flew the electric Maxine with much aplomb, for second place.
Garry Mathews made third place, also flying open electric.
The Sharon was the highest scoring winch launched model for 4th place overall.
Much improved Randy Taylor won the 2m electric class, taking 8th overall.
and Tony Merritt won the DLG Class.
Cliff Stone was the best newcomer.

For me, it was great to see such a huge variety of models, although it was a pity Jason wasn't available to offer Tony some DLG class competition. Currently I am suffering from an Achilles tendon and knee problem, so DLGing is out of the question at the moment.

The attraction, for me, at these Multi Launch comps is the variety of models and model types, that are competitive.

Special thanks to Tom and Trev for their encouragement and for my use of their equipment, we all had the pleasure of flying in good air, and I always enjoy working as part of their team.

Thanks also to the Ipswich MFC, for hosting the free entry event! We are really lucky.

PeteMitchell

Thanks Jef, what a great write up!

And yes it was a very good day out.

Cheers

Pete

Jef Ott

A pic taken just before the last round...