Sign in to follow this  
Peter G

Scottish F3F Nationals 2013

Peter G

After a very good curry at the Reya in Leslie last night, today the majority headed up Bishop from the Church which was a bit gentler on the way up, the two Marks opting for short sharp pain!

The wind was a bit higher than yesterday at 22ms steady with a similar amount of thermal activity, not much. Thermals few and far between, mostly middling air but the occasional bit of bad stuff.

Paul, Mark, Peter started strong in Rd 14 all with 32’s and Peter just pipping the round with a 32.11 and Kevin close with the first of many 33’s. Rd 15 was taken by Mark with a 29.74 with Paul on a 32.48 new PB and Tom & Peter on 33’s. Abbo started with a couple of 36’s and Mike a 38 & 39. Peter took Rd 16 with a 30.77 new PB with Mark R & Paul on 33’s and Mark A warming up on a 34 and Kevin & Mike close on 35’s.

Abbo took round 17 and it has to be said his Caldera looked stunningly quick all weekend but was closely followed by Kevin with a 33.15 and Paul on a 33.42. Mark R took Rd 18 with a 31.30 with Kevin and Abbo on 33’s and Mike on a 36, his best of the day. Tom Foreman was not having as good a day as yesterday and had a landing accident putting his stinger out of action so out came the Artist. Paul Upton took round 19 with a 33.59 with Peter & Kevin also scoring 33’s and Mark R a 34. Mark R took Rd 20 with a 30.53 with most other people suffering, Kevin got closest with a 36, Paul & George on 38’s but Peter, Abbo & Mike on 40’s. Peter took Rd 21 with a 32.98 with Kevin and Mark R on low 33’s, Paul on a 34 and Mike and Abbo on 37’s. Notable in this round was George’s best of the day a 35.61, unfortunately Tom has to sit it out having bumped the nose of his Artist on landing, just not his day.

Round 22 was abandoned as just before Mark R flew, the wind got up making it hard to stand. Mark and the next few pilots flew but we stopped the round as it was clearly over 25ms.

So the results of Day 2 only are quite interesting with Peter, Kevin & Paul very close to each other behind Mark whose consistency again made him hard to match.

1          Mark Redsell      6883.56

2          Peter Gunning     6574.42

3          Kevin Newton      6549.63

4          Paul Upton          6522.03

5          Mark Abbotts      6206.65

6          Mike McCracken 5839.97

7          Tom Foreman     5686.08

8          George Young     5603.17

9          David Loomes     5469.29

10        Sam Smith          4753.90

However, that’s not the real result as it was a two day comp, the overall results looked like this:

1          Mark Redsell       18720.27

2          Paul Upton          17513.76

3          Peter Gunning     17127.06

4          Mark Abbotts       16925.63

5          Tom Foreman      16501.13

6          Mike McCracken  15996.01

7          George Young     15186.08

8          David Watson      10363.21

9          Ewan Maxwell      10132.52

10        Robert Carson     9088.62

11        Kevin Newton      7378.04

12        David Reid          6489.15

13        David Loomes     6176.98

14        Sam Smith          4753.90

FTD was flown by Mark Redsell on Saturday with a 29.36.

So Mark was the clear winner with Paul a very solid 2nd place but Peter managed to battle his way back up to 3rd. Thanks for coming, I hope your legs get better eventually and roll on Wales.

• Like 1

simon_t

Well done guys, looks like you had a great weekend on the Bishop again.  A lot of very good times - please post any new PBs in the the PB thread!

Simon

campsieflyer

Looks like you had another great day on the Bishop. Well done to all the guys who managed the two day climb . Congrats to Mark Redsell on a well deserved win, to Paul Upton for second and well done Peter Gunning for clawing you way up to third place.(it must have been the curry). Hopefully the farmer might be a bit more accommodating the next time!

Dave

Greg Dakin

Wow, what a fantastic race - congrats to Mark, Paul and Pete, another epic event in Scotland!

Cheers,

Greg

Rocket Ronnie

Well done to all (the climb must have been GREAT not)

Congrats to Mr Redsall

See you all down in Wales.

Ronnie

rumbey

Congratulations to the top 3.  Epic conditions and it seems that Bishop is a match for the Bwlch on its day!

mark_r

Excellent couple of days up North! Fast times for everyone at some point. I had one hairy flight with a burnt out aileron servo - brown trousers cam in handy when trying to get it down safely. Well done to Peter too for pulling back into the top 3 after a dodgy 1st flight.

Thanks to Peter and the Scottish crew for another very friendly civilised comp - makes for really enjoyable racing. Second climb up the Bishop did not seem quite so bad, but could you organise a heli next time please.

Rooster-X

Congratulations to the top 3, get you next time ;)

Frighteningly fast conditions and lots of hard work put in by everyone helping out with launching, buzzing and CDing - team effort! I was also impressed with Pete and Mike TX relay work on the Saturday, must have been distracting, hope you've put that dodgy timer battery in the bin!

Was interesting how the lesser torque Futaba 3155 aileron servo couldn't hack it as the conditions were too strong, whereas its slower but more torque sibling the Futaba 3150 had no problems.

Mark, Paul and Peter had perfect reversal technique, judging the bases well and not pulling too tight through the turn, exiting perfectly parallel to the slope - well done!

Abbo just goes crazy fast!!!

Got lots of broken models to fix for the Welsh Open now....

• Like 1

rumbey

Shame about the breakages Tom.  Just one of the trade offs when landing fully loaded?

Rooster-X

Just bad landing technique, should have reacted to the stronger conditions, what was working ok on Saturday wasn't on the Sunday with the stronger winds.

With regards to ballast, I needed more, 1.7 Kg was only just enough in those conditions, basically landing with little or no flaps, the model felt light all weekend and I flew fully loaded at all times.

abbof3f

Had a really good weekend,thanks to all the lads,and "robot redsall"perfection in very difficult conditions!was struggling a little ,myself.been messing with the cofg on the caldera and it,s great but the elevator is too reactive, once i calm it down a little she,ll go quick.felt sorry sorry for tom as we were in for a good battle on the final day .in the mayhem pete sneaked in under the radar and pipped the both of us ....well done to all

Peter G

Glad you got some pics George.

It was a shame for Tom, but I did notice you were landing a little further back than I do. If you stand at the front and land close to the edge its less bumpy. I have one tail - see attached that you are welcome to borrow if you can fix the other until your new ones come? I have also got a joiner you could borrow.

I got very lucky with the FS3 avoiding rocks, its a tough model, on par with my super tough cyril I would say and will fix in a couple of evenings.

• Like 1

paul garnett

Wow looks like I missed a beauty...congrats to all who flew in the testing and very strong conditions...

Peter G

I just realised why the FS3 was a handfull, its supposed to be two spacers at the back of the tube then 8 forward but I had 8 at the back and two spacers in the front :blink:

I havn't checked but reckon that will take the CG back by about 5mm and make my elevator settings suicidal. Won't do that again...

George Young

I just realised why the FS3 was a handfull, its supposed to be two spacers at the back of the tube then 8 forward but I had 8 at the back and two spacers in the front :blink:

I havn't checked but reckon that will take the CG back by about 5mm and make my elevator settings suicidal. Won't do that again...

Oops!

Having seen your FS3 several times before I was suprised how easily it flicked. Twice!

A rearward CG could do that I suspect :(

satinet

Peter I've got a ballast balance spreadsheet for the fs3 if you haven't already worked the balances out.

Peter G

Thanks Tom, I have it worked out and printed on a laminated bit of paper in my Tx case. Running 6 x 170g slugs in the back box means I have to front load the tube.

The only thing I did different was to load the fuse tube before I put the wings on, thats the only reason I can think of that caused my brain fade.

• Like 1

Rooster-X

Legs still aching :)

• Like 2

abbof3f

Legs still aching :)

i woke up this morning,it was not pretty, i looked like an old two legged bambi! :D need a mountain bike now to keep up what i have started ,three climbs just about did me in