Sign in to follow this  
ThermalBoy

Stabilit Xpress Alternative ?

ThermalBoy

I finally ran out of my Stabilit Xpress 2 part glue (Glue & Powder).

This as most will know is an amazing glue that sticks almost anything to anything with tremedous strength. Goes truly rock hard in 15 mins.

So I decided to buy some more until I saw the price, around £22.00 for a small tube :drool: .

So, does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to Stabilit that is the same type of glue, as strong and that sets rock hard in 15mins. I dont think Stabilit is Epoxy BTW.

Cheers

Colin

simon_t

Gliders Distribution had it in stock not long ago when I visited.

Simon

pete beadle

Hi ThermalBoy

As I'm sure you know, Stabilit Express is just one of the range of Supergloy adhesives manufactured by Henkel Chemicals in Germany.

Stabilit is a polyester based adhesive (yes, not epoxy) and Henkel also produce epoxy adhesives, cyanoacrylates, PVA and even wallpaper pastes

The reason Stalbilit is so expensive to aeromodellers is just the same as the the reason a tiny tinlet of enamel paint costs so much, it's the economics of scale/breaking bulk. With Henkel, the bigger the order, the better the price.

You may also remember, at least I hope you will, that (when I was employed by Henkel) back in 1983 Henkel/Supergloy sponsored the UK round of the F3B World Championships in York

Stabilit was (relatively) expensive then, just as it is expensive now, thing is, it really does perform and, like cyano, the less you use the better the bond.

Stabilit was developed to be used in specific high volume industrial processes where only the most effective adhesive would do. I hesitate to use the analogy but it really was/is the Rolls Royce of the range

Buy (much) more of it, especially in industrial quantities, and the price /volume ratio will rapidly correct itself I assure you

Pete

BARCS1702

Andy_B

Do us all a favour Col....go and buy a few tonnes and bring the price down ...............

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi ThermalBoy

I'm a bit worried about your quote of £20plus for a small tube

Graupner do the 90grm box for 27.95 Euro 

and even Amazon do what they call an 80 grm box of Pattex Stability Express for 16.69

Have you checked those out?

The "four ounce box" used to be the biggest seller for modellers back in the day.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

RGPuk

Pete,

Oh Glue Guru, do you know anything about Chemopren Dry Bond Adhesive? - or an equivalent.

Ro.

pete beadle

Hi RGPuk

Sorry mate, even working for Henkel for years (back in the eighties) and being called "Sticky Pete" behind my back AND to my face for over 20 years didn't and doesn't make me knowledgeable on EVERY adhesive available now or then......

and I know MUCH better than to try the BS route on this forum, so sorry!

Don't worry though, SOMEONE in BARCS will know.......

Regards

Sticky Pete

BARCS1702

.......Oh, that's who he is Mabel!........

RGPuk

Thanks anyway Pete - it was worth a shot.

The Chemopren Dry Bond is mentioned in many Topmodel CZ instructions and as far as I can tell it's merely a contact adhesive and bit of interweb searching seems to suggest that it's marketed under the Pattex brand - although Alkapren also appears to be a substitute.

Both seem to be an Eastern European thing though and I haven't found a UK source yet.

Ro.

pete beadle

Hi again RGPuk

Woken ludicrously early by my next door neighbour's brand spanking new baby boy this morning,  I decided to have a quick dip into the wonderful world of the "Interweb Thingy" while the coffee was perking

You seem to have hit the same problem as ThermalBoy in that all the permutations of Chemopren contact adhesive are fairly obviously general industrial products and not specifically for modelling.

Yes, it appears to be an odourless contact adhesive (hence dry bond) and yes. it seems that the Czech Republic is a major market which Topmodel are exploiting (in the nicest possible way) - bit like that worderfully named "Spackle" in the US, so I'd try to see if you can find something similar in use to Pattex Chemopren Universal or Pattex Chemopren Transparent  from a Loctite wholesaler in the UK or even USA - you'll soon see why when you see the Henkel logo on the Loctite Products page.....

Happy hunting!

Pete

BARCS1702

ps: There's nothing beats the smell of freshly made Blue Mountain in the morning - with apologies to Robert Duvall.........

RGPuk

Thanks for the pointers Pete.  Much appreciated.

I'll get hunting.

Roger.

ThermalBoy

Do us all a favour Col....go and buy a few tonnes and bring the price down ...............

You crack me up dude :D  Thanks to everyone for the info.

BTW Pete, I could just about live with paying £16.69 for Stabilit from Amazon but the £8.99 postage they want makes it a deal breaker for me. I'm going to try the UHU stuff Andy_B pointed me to as it does look very similar to the spec of Stabit Xpress.

Colin

Andy_B

I got some of the UHU stuff last week Col   and ive not tried it yet   but it does look exactly the same ......hopefully its better than the UHU endfest 300    which at the mo im a bit dissapointed with . Maybe im just not curing it at 200c to get the best out of it ...!!

pete beadle

Hi Colin, sorry, ThermalDoctor,

You and me both about that £8.99 postage charge for a package under 100grm!

The wholesaler for the Stabilit is  specified by Amazon, and he's based near Dortmund  close to where the Henkel factory is in Dusseldorf and should be free to use DeutschePost under the Henkel dealer agreement, so £8.99 is literally unbelievable to me

If I'd still been employed by Henkel today I'd be making a short internal phone call to the factory's shipping  and marketing departments about now

You could always approach the distributor direct, I suppose.....but then you'd be back to breaking bulk.......

As you say the UHU stuff has got to be worth trying though, just in case, what was their postage cost per pack?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Yoyo

You'll often find on Amazon that people lower the base price to get attention then make it up with the postage so the final price stays about the same. It's the same on ebay.

pete beadle

Hi Yoyo

That, to me, is a VERY interesting comment

Brought up, as I was, when it was the difference between trade and retail prices rather than prices, including delivery. from stockists as against retail price as bought from retailers, this would have been a powerful incentive to buy your Stabilit from your local stockist (the model shop) rather than the big company trading by post, in preference to person to person.......interesting

I well remember being at the Dortmund show about ten years ago when a pricing war broke out and a few of the "biggie" dealers literally lowered their retail prices more or less each and every hour, until they tempted the public to buy in tens of something (in this case servos) rather than twos or fours - to gain remarkable discounts!. I rang home to a few ISA colleagues, telling them this,  and ended up buying thirty ballraced Graupner/JR servos (341's and 3341's) only available that day, to individuals present at the show, at MUCH better than trade prices. Literally only available for cash (or plastic), at free market prices, because no postage was charged!

Those were the days my friends........

These days I see to be wasting hours trying to find where the catch is on the posted website prices, before I'm (not) surprised to find out when the credit card bill arrives. It really seems odd to me to decide to deal, more than once, with a seller where you start from the premise they will probably try to con you, price-wise, if they can........odd indeed!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF

Wait till the PO gets privatised then we will see some ere watering increases as for sure it will not be cheaper.

• Like 1

Austin

You'll often find on Amazon that people lower the base price to get attention then make it up with the postage so the final price stays about the same. It's the same on ebay.

Its actually done to reduce fees by the sellers. They pay fees on Ebay for the item price not including postage. Ebay are putting a stop to this soon and forcing sellers to offer free postage. The sellers will just have to put the postage into the price making it more expensive but Ebay have the win because the fee will be based on the item price not including shipping. 

ThermalBoy

"Hi Colin, sorry, ThermalDoctor",

Pete

BARCS1702

Neil is ThermalDoctor, my monica is ThermalBoy ;)

I'll let you know how I get on with the UHU equivalent. Postage on this is 1st class Royal Mail small package so I think thats about £3. Much more reasonable.

Cheers

Colin