BMFA F3F League Contest 5 (Long Mynd)

Martin_N

Well......shall we say things were challenging at times .......Mr Abbotts did a great hand break turn in the last turn of I think round 9...lol

thanks for all those that turned up ....even Mike got up early for the occasion ....and sorry to anyone who broke anything

results are ..... full report and spread sheet to follow

Rank Competitor Score
1 Mark Redsell 9583.05
2 John Phillips 9440.38
3 Greg Dakin 9159.84
4 Mick Walsh 9097.64
5 Andy Burgoyne 8793.67
6 Greame Mahoney 8720.15
7 Mark Treble 8693.43
8 Mark Abbotts 8669.68
9 Tony Livingstone 8553.61
10 Martin Drewett 8505.05
11 Frank Houlton 8493.41
12 Phil Taylor 8212.16
13 Mike Evans 8196.46
14 John Treble 8051.34
15 Ian Web    7881.25
16 John Tideswell 6917.37
17 Ian Falconer 3334.40
18 Les Wood 2100.51
19 Tony Robertson 1510.47
20 Tom Macpherson 1334.04

• Like 1

Was a good day - yep, challenging - but nicely different to the Bwlch - much prettier spot - they dont throw their old washing machines over the edge here.

Shame the Ceres was put out of action (easily fixed) - it was going really well - but fun steering the big old T-Master round the course,

Just one pic - Greg coming off base B on the first leg/turn - plane is blurry - must be going a bit fast !

Phil.

Thanks Andy for putting the day together, and to everyone for supporting the event.
Easterlies are a rare direction and slopes are pretty rare possibly because of that. Experience and knowledge of exactly where to be is limited.
But once the first round was out of the way most pilots seemed to be putting together pretty consistent times in air that was challenging and corners that were at times anything but grippy.
It is perhaps one of our most scenic slope and with decent weather all day it was a pleasure to be out flying.
Unfortunately we did have a few retirements and a few broken bits. Tom mac retired after the first round due to finding it difficult flying without his tray which he broke earlier in the week. Guess that's the trouble with being retired.. Les Wood had to call it a day early on due to a broken knee cap that was just to painful on the uneven ground. Tony Robertson slipped and rolled down the hill cutting his hand and falling on a few models he was carrying at the time, hopefully the damage wasn't too bad. Then Ian Falkoner's model broke his model when it spun in close to the valley floor. We also had a fair share of small landing errors, so a high attrition rate for such light wind and soft grass to land in.

Greg John and Mark made the best of the conditions each with a different flying style. Mark flying nice em 8's , JohnP pumping hard then flying close but with out and upward turns, and Greg keeping a very tight line with lots shallow turns to keep right on the edge. Little to choose between them with Mark coming out the Victor with generally a more sustained flying speed, through the changing conditions.
AndyB and MickW were having a good tussle, Andy's radical always looking smooth and tight, Micks needle couldn't look more different, less smooth less accurate but fast and furious.
It was a little suprising to seeAbbo further down the list than I had expected as his caldera did look impressive all day, pumping well at the starts and seeming to be moving along nicely.
Others bid that impressed me were John Treble with his extreme. Very few errors and generally fast it was a much improved performance from John, looks like all the practicing is paying off. Perhaps retirement does have it's benefits!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4jkggZx04iELVpEMnk0aWh0TFU/edit?usp=sharing

Link will take you to myDrive. download file and open for full active spread sheet of the day.

On rounds tab enter the round you wish to look at in the labelled box.

If you don't download you wil see Googles attempt to display the file -- that is not what you want - download it.

Mike

Thanks to the long Long Mynd boys, good day out.

Lovely place to fly but alway hard work, had a good day in all even the long walk back to the cars.

JP

Mr Evans - That walk that ''isn't as far as it looks, was exactly as far as it looks!''

Thanks to Frank for buzzing on base B for at least half the day  :P

After the scepticism in round 1 it turned out to be a really  great day, thanks to those that organised it and got it going

Martin

Many thanks to Mike and Andy for organising a super competition, and to Martin for expediting buzzer duties.

Congrats to Mark and John on some super flying in very challenging conditions, particularly at the start of the race.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, especially the opportunity to fly on a new slope, and exercise on a different walk (albeit a long one).

It also struck me that despite flying the N124 for a season, I've really only started to scrape the surface of the models potential....and certainly haven't nailed a really solid setting yet - its a beautifully complex beast ;-)

Cheers,

Greg

Others bid that impressed me were John Treble with his extreme. Very few errors and generally fast it was a much improved performance from John, looks like all the practicing is paying off. Perhaps retirement does have it's benefits!

Thanks for these kind words, Mike. I wasn't very happy with my flying at all until the last round, which I remain proud of. The 44 should have been a sub-40!

It also struck me that despite flying the N124 for a season, I've really only started to scrape the surface of the models potential....and certainly haven't nailed a really solid setting yet - its a beautifully complex beast ;-)

Cheers,

Greg

I am glad that someone who knows about these things agrees with me about the Needle. I have found mine impossible to get to fly fast reliably. Setting it up to go in one place and time, is no guarantee that it is going to go later on or somewhere else!

paul garnett

Well done guys, looks like a difficult comp, different turn styles all working well, Congrats to Mark R, that win must put him way out in front for the BMFA League....

Greg...keep up the Needle work mate, your getting there!! haha, lovely model the N124, flew mine on the cliffs, was generating some big power in the turns, still need to sort my set up out though, although it is feeling sweet now...

Greg...keep up the Needle work mate, your getting there!! haha, lovely model the N124, flew mine on the cliffs, was generating some big power in the turns, still need to sort my set up out though, although it is feeling sweet now...

We're on it Paul, the research continues unabated!

Yes, agreed the N124 is pretty special - I've not flown a model that supports so many different configurations / modes (which is a tribute to the design). You start with a blank canvass and pretty much apply your own science to the set-up.....a great model for the experimenter!

Last time I saw you fly the N124 at Levisham, it looked very well dialled - I think you're a step nearer to optimum than I am, but either way I'm sure that there's plenty more to come from our airframe(s)....

Cheers,

Greg

I am glad that someone who knows about these things agrees with me about the Needle. I have found mine impossible to get to fly fast reliably. Setting it up to go in one place and time, is no guarantee that it is going to go later on or somewhere else!

Hi John, well certainly the model requires considerable time and effort to maximise its potential, but to a greater extent thats the beauty of the design. It really benefits from being flown at higher wing loadings, which means that you have an immediate straight line speed advantage.....the trick is to find the correct turn strategy / configuration to ensure that the core benefits of the design (span, aspect-ratio, inertia, efficiency) aren't mitigated by drag induced at higher angles of attack (i.e during tight turns)......I'm not close to finding the setting(s) yet, but am thoroughly enjoying the challenge ;-)

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Andy and Mike for the day - turned out pretty good in a stunning location (after a seriously ropey start!).

Bit of video from the day below, all done on a phone camera, but hopefully captures the F3F aerobatics with someone getting a little excited at JPs flying (might need to turn the volume up for it)

paul garnett

Great vid Mark, would have liked the challenge!!

greg, I am pretty happy with how my N124L is cominfg along, remember mine is the long version, I have my cg a wee bit further back, I have a tiny amount of snap flap, still working on the elevator/snap ratio, not far off now though, need some more time on the cliffs.