I've finally finished my scratch built 40% ASG29!

swarrans

10 months, 670 hours and £1,500 after I was insane enough to think that making a 40% ASG29 from scratch was a good idea, I have just about finished it!
I still have to do a few bits and pieces and then (because it weighs 23 Kg or so) it will need to be inspected and certified as safe to fly by the Large Model Association and Civil Aviation Authority.

The maiden won't be happening for a while, but I'll let you know how I get on!

P1010578>9978558225_eff8751291_c.jpg
P1010578>P1010578 by swarrans, on Flickr

P1010580>9978622956_d11b76bb1c_c.jpg
P1010580>P1010580 by swarrans, on Flickr

P1010582>9978541875_3dbc9310d8_c.jpg
P1010582>P1010582 by swarrans, on Flickr

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Thanks chaps - I wasn't sure if it was OK to link to another site Austin but there is a full build log on the UK scale soaring site.

Set aside a lot of reading time if you decide to view it all!

As far as being proud is concerned I seem to be afflicted with the unfortunate mentality of only being able to see the bits that I could have done better rather than the big picture!

Si

Well done Simon.  So glad you stuck with it, even through those dark times when too much suction nearly killed the project.  Will you mould a canopy over winter?  Would be great to see it with a fully detailed cockpit, but that might be another bunch of hours!  Unfortunately I wont be at MW to see it but hopefully get to see it sometime

Simon T

If the test flights are successful Simon I will either mould a clear canopy and detail the cockpit or try and find a commercial moulding. See you on a slope sometime!.....

Si

As far as being proud is concerned I seem to be afflicted with the unfortunate mentality of only being able to see the bits that I could have done better rather than the big picture!

The big picture looks superb Simon, and even more impressive in real life! 

Beautiful ship looks superb , makes my 4m ASG 29  look angular and crude , the pride in mine is great but that is a different league

I don't mind how often you say that John!

If you want to see it in the flesh it will be on static display at Middle Wallop tomorrow (Saturday). I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that anyone should come just to see it - Middle Wallop is a great fun day with lots of incredibly exotic gliders, some of which will make my ASG29 look small!

Si

• Like 1

I don't mind how often you say that John!

If you want to see it in the flesh it will be on static display at Middle Wallop tomorrow (Saturday). I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that anyone should come just to see it - Middle Wallop is a great fun day with lots of incredibly exotic gliders, some of which will make my ASG29 look small!

Si

What is on at Middle Wallop tomorrow ?

Strictly speaking only one of the 2 days is on "tomorrow" (today now) - hahaha - I am just SOO funny and this comedy stand up career is going really well!!

But seriously, if anyone can make Middle Wallop either today or Sunday it's well worth the trip - a fun, friendly event with some really amazing models - only costs £5 entry for the day and another £5 (I think) if you want to fly.

It must be subsidised by the Ghost Squadron because I think they must use more fuel in the tugs than that!

You will see loads of exotic gliders, most of them home built masterpieces (I'm not including mine in that description!)

Simon

• 2 months later...