Winter F3f leagues

isoaritfirst

Thanks guys for an enjoyable day.

I will check my calandar and see if I can make any of the other dates.

regards   andy2

Thanks guys for an enjoyable day.

I will check my calandar and see if I can make any of the other dates.

regards   andy2

Well done Andy !

now youre hooked  :D

Phil.

1 Mike Evans 6783.24 2 Andy Burgoyne 6667.66 3 Mark Treble 6614.18 4 Mark Abbotts 6461.86 5 Scott Ravenscroft 6215.19 6 Ian Webb 6189.99 7 Mick Walsh 6108.97 8 Mark Richards 5847.05 9 Paul Stubley 5744.23 10 Tom McPherson 5627.46 11 Andy Harrold 5442.46 12 Jerry Lunt 5386.20
  • Like 1

right heres how I saw it .......E&OE

Despite what some considered a non favourable weather forcast (me included) 12 hardy souls turned up for round 1 of the Midland league to be greeted by drizzle and at times sleet , but there were patches of blue on the horizon.

As Mike setup the course up most people had a quick sports fly , or should that be a slow sports fly , at least it wasn’t raining and the sun was making an appearance but the wind was as forcast well off to the South .

I’d already decided that I was going to fly my Crossover this weekend despite the wind speed being light and favoring the Radical . Mick Walsh had also brought his with him and Tom Mcpherson would have had his with him had he not morphed into Phil Taylor (Phil wasn’t on the pilot list in the computer) .Best not say anymore about it just yet as don’t want everybody to have one ..!!

Things didn’t quite go to plan in round 1 for me …ok climb out  drop in    and cut …great leg 1 turn 1   big cut in light wind ……DOH …all this after Abbo had pretty much creamed everyone flying first , still gave me plenty of room for improvement .So the Stokies/potteries those even funnier speaking lot  were making a good start  with Abbo Scott and Webby all in the top 5 .

Round 2 and the wind is starting to come more onto the hill and the Stokies strike again with Scott winning with a 57….now had it not been for later events Scott would have won the low flying award for the day as I’m sure he was flying in ground effect for most of the day , it was certainly quite effective and Vampire was looking good for the day . Mark Treble was looking as good as normal and pushing the Toxic around nicely . The battle for the lower half of the table was starting to build as Jerry Lunt (scram) Andy Harrold (andy2) Phil Taylor (aka Tom) and Mark Richards (Mark Richards) all started to get back into the groove and thee were lots of checking on who did what and when.

Rounds 3 and 4 started to see the emergence of the Midlands massif with the first dips in the forties for myself and Mike and FTD for Mike with a 47 . I would have happily stopped at rnd3 as I was in front at this point . Abbo and Mark T were still pushing hard and Buzz ( Paul Stubley) was getting to grips with his ex Joel West Cyril .Round 4 saw the first appearance of the Franken willow with Phil getting his willow fuz Merlin winged salute to red stripe out , he then proceeded to knock a handful of seconds off his previous best for the day (bet Mr Baudis would love that ) …I could hear the hooping and holloring coming from the South coast .

Round 5 was notable for Buzz’s taking of the low flying award away from Scott with a fast landing mid course on about leg 5 …he was ‘ letting it fly ‘ ….yeah but there are limits Paul. The Midalnds boys are there again my round win with a 49 and Mike in second , Tom/Phil put in a strong result to pull him clear of the chasing mid pack although he had turned to the alternative Baudis product at this point .

Rounds 6 and 7 and the wind is dropping off and getting cold and the spoils are shared between Mike and Mark T . Scott has been doing his now customary quest for super glue but settles for magic tape and then drops some more ballast in , I cant believe hes not been running full all day .Mick Walsh has been quietly beavering away all day but it wasn’t his day really  and a bad round 6 does him no favours . The mid pack are now getting into there stride and I think Andy2 has knocked 27 seconds off his time as the days gone on .

And so ends the first Midlands league for 2013/14 . A better day than I thought we would get and good to see some familiar faces and new ones , I don’t think anybody broke anything and nobody ended up with frostbite .

Thanks for all those that attended and those that travelled from both the North and the South and hopefully see you all again in December .

Mike Evans                 Freestyler 4

Andy Burgoyne          Crossover

Mark Treble                 Toxic

Mark Abbots               Caldera R

Scott Ravenscroft       Vampire

Ian Webb                    Vikos/Needle 100

Mick Walsh                 Needle 124

Mark Richards             Tragi

Paul Stubley                Cyril

Phil Taylor                   Ceres/Franken Willow

Andy Harold               Air One

Jerry Lunt                    Wizard Compact

Thanks again Mike n Andy for the organisation.  I had a good day and probably got my new PB time which would be no great shakes compared to 25.14s!!  I might have done a bit better in the final scores if I had not forgotten to remove the camber used in climb-out for my last flight!!

Had the weather been better on Friday when Andy(2) and I spent the day in the area, I might have gotten in some practice.  As it was, we went along to the Midland Gliding Club and had a chat with some of the guys there including the Flying Instructor.  It is still 500 squid for the weeks gliding course - I might have a go next summer  :)

We also got our first round in yesterday, I'm gerry jealous of your 49's mind, our FTD was a 51.xx. Here is my report for the Scottish WL Round 1.

Well the forecast didn’t say anything about low cloud but when we arrived at East Lomond there was a cloud sat on top.

However, we headed up and it started to clear so we got set up and eventually made a start. It wasn’t exactly blistering with about 15mph max. wind speed but it felt like a sub 50 would be possible.

We flew 3 rounds up as there were just 6 of us and it would save running around too much, however, this turned out to be a mistake as the cold was getting to people’s thumbs after 2 rounds!

I was enjoying the FS4.3 with about 1kg in its belly and Ewan was making the Cyril look very racy with quite a bit less weight winning rounds 2 and 7. George was pumping away and carrying a fair bit of ballast in his Precision. Robert had an intermittent battery connection in the Fosa so wisely decided to retire it and started very well with the Predator. Ian Stewart’s skorp was going well too in the light air and he had a couple of second places in rounds 2 and 8, shaving the bases very nicely towards the end. Sam and his needle 124 were going well too, no doubt learning quite a bit as he went.

We stopped to change the battery in the timing gear and for lunch and entertainment was provided by the parachutists who turned up on mass, obviously deciding that the cloud wasn’t going to clear on Bishop. It was clearly too windy for them but they had a go anyway, some going backwards very quickly and some going down equally quickly. One guy had a descent wing and went down faster than a mouldie in a dive. What is the point in that we wondered? Anyway, they were fairly sensible as far as mentalists go and chatty enough so we got on fine in the end.

1          Peter Gunning   7999.14            1000.00

2          Ewan Maxwell    7726.08            965.86

3          George Young   7151.20            893.99

4          Ian Stewart        6909.07            863.72

5          Robert Carson   6840.62            855.16

6          Sam Smith        6612.12            826.60

FTD Peter Gunning 51.70

So, not a classic by any means and I din’t get my sub-50 in but hey ho, it’s a result on the board and it was good to get out. The sun even made a welcome appearance at the end of the day and I think we just about hit the 6 deg C forecast.

• Like 1

Good report Andy. Thanks. An excellent day, and a great start to the winter season - hope it continues.

Are you posting the spreadsheet?

Ive sent them to Mike ......drop me your email on a pm   and ill send them direct

Nice reprt Andy :thumbsup: .

Anybody take some pics they'd like to share :)

Stu

Didnt see anyone with a camera - so no pics

but someone did take some video of a certain something, which may appear somewhere, sometime  ;)

Phil.

Didnt see anyone with a camera - so no pics

but someone did take some video of a certain something, which may appear somewhere, sometime  ;)

Phil.

So what was the Merlow like then Phil ?

Stu.

Thanks to everyone that came along to support the Midland event. I had very enjoyable day, and I can't do it without you all.

Another quite slow day overall but like quite a few similar days we have had on pole cot, where despite being slow air it was very consistent. It did go faster around midday, before dropingg back to times similar to the start of the day as the afternoon drew on. Most pilots were flying very similar times, with very little signs of thermals having much effect. Flying had to be very accurate and any speed attained eeched out to the last leg.

All good fun, and the lack of wind had the benefit of making it a very comfortable day even though it was one of the coldest so far this winter.

Lots of thanks to andy for doing the lions share of organizing the event.

I will post the results spread sheet later when I have recovered from spending all day dressing bricks.

Spread sheet available through the calender pages - link from event text on the date slot.

Useful sorce of previous comp data as well - simly search back througfh the last years events on the calender.

I think all of the Modland ones are there, can't say the same for the other areas - which is a bit of a shame.

direct link below

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

By way of example here the results from this comp last year 

It makes interesting reading - and so very similar to this years comp.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

The calender pages don't have the option to enter earlier years than the current 2013  - but the pages are still accessable by scrolling back through the months.